Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Practically no experience with hdmi out connected but seems the setup steals some good overhead causing frame corruption.
Regarding different ratios and stability around them. I put in some heavy testing around 2.35:1 ratio to get that working. Very likely room for improvements and my pragmatic approach fine tuning reg 6008, 7150 and 713c might hold a more stable math that I don't see but I can't calculate it. Yet.
For stable ratios 16:9 or other ratios I could look into suggestions, at least start off for further tweaking...

marcelo.lippi

I have not used other versions than Danne's. I'll try. However the Danne version seems to me to be of the highest quality result. I only try to find a minimum workflow to record a comfortable and safe way

AF-OFF

Quote from: marcelo.lippi on March 20, 2019, 10:15:14 PM
I have not used other versions than Danne's. I'll try. However the Danne version seems to me to be of the highest quality result. I only try to find a minimum workflow to record a comfortable and safe way
thanks marcello.& wish You luck, trying the nightly , experimental and dforts, even the old TL versions with, to check out Your pref. setup. sometimes also imagined the need to have another than the build IN screen for convenience or sheer necessity. f.E. indoors, having the cam on tripod 6 feet high, the wall behind, then you think, its impossible to check the picture without a ladder .
me too & all of us like Danne's and other Dev's effort and Knowledge to circumvent the crazy-ness of the cartel of the industries.
so more resolution what everybody wants and willingly pays for - we get for just a smile.

this is great and the question is, - how come, I don't help at all with this stuff, but I wish, that to become true, what I need right now, because this would be awesome. isn' it strange , how difficult (see  diffi - cult) it is, to help with something, one self wish to the heart? so what can we do about it, as non dev's.
I hope You check out Your setup with the other versions of ML which are at Your fingertips and if You don't mind report here Your findings.

@Danne - thanks for clarification in general, much appreciated.
@masc - thanks for the new MLV App !

IDA_ML

Pretty exciting new stuff on the EOS-M, congratulations Danne!  Any chance that the 100D receives an update too?  I would love to test, especially now that MLVApp v.1.6 handles this new HDR stuff so well.

Danne

Not my 100D here but I think it handles hdr well already. Just set mv1080p_mv720p mode to 50fps and enable hdr from the usual place to enable iso switching. Maybe the mv720p 3x3 crop rec setting would be even better here.

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot, Danne!  Can't wait to test!

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Some bleeding edge stuff. Tested around some on my eosm. Also added for 100D(untested).
commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/cdbae199254873317ea7b665ee6f4d443bc7edc7

Please report how it works.

- Moved sd_uhs code into RAW video(mlv_lite) and erased sd_uhs.mo and the related lua script
- Refined eosm cinema 2:35.1 lua script(will enable sd_uhs in RAW video menu)

ctfire

Just test the last build MCM mode 24fps 16:9  48fps - 12 and 10 bit 16:9 works perfect first time i get some corrupted frames , but then format card and try again and there was perfect footage. Also good idea to put sd hack into raw menu. Thanks again Danne

a1ex

Quote from: ctfire on March 23, 2019, 07:10:42 PM
Also good idea to put sd hack into raw menu.

Why? I'd use this option for still photos, too.

In my opinion, sd_uhs and MLV recording are very different things and should not stay in the same file.

@Danne: sorry to say, but you really need to make your commits atomic and readable. Otherwise, you'll end up with code nobody else can follow. OK, I can probably reverse engineer it, but that's not the point.

Some good reading material:
https://medium.com/@fagnerbrack/one-commit-one-change-3d10b10cebbf
https://hackernoon.com/what-makes-a-good-commit-message-995d23687ad
https://robots.thoughtbot.com/5-useful-tips-for-a-better-commit-message
https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/

Danne

I'll have a look @alex. Thanks for links.
And yeah, good for stills and maybe even h264 recording(pushing fps override etc)

ctfire

Today retested the last build and unfortunally get corrupted frames in 48fps mode , not consistant but somwhere after 5 - 10  seconds after starting video/ in 16:9 and 2.35:1 aspect ratios and 12 or 10 bit.  Global Dwar off .

MCM mode works perfectly in all aspect ratios and bit depth

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/7ef1f2beaf21823431c8e6ac6cb18fca20f7b71a

- Moved sd_uhs.mo back into the game and erased the sd_uhs sub menu item in RAW video
- By enabling sd_uhs.mo the sd card gets patched upon start up bypassing any need for menu pushing on every start up
- Works for EOSM and 100D

shiva66

Hi, I´m new to this forum and this buid of Magic Lantern and i love it!
But after the first clip my screen gets really weird, wrong aspect ratio and if I try to record some more movie I get an error and I have to re install the magic lantern before i can record some more.
Anyone else have this problem or mayby a fix for it?

Best regards.

Pontus

Walter Schulz

Instead of reinstalling you may use
Prefs tab -> Config Options -> Restore ML defaults

stef7

When using last version from 24th of March get always a message at the start:

Please enable sd_uhs module.

But this module is enabled. Somehow ML doesn't recognize it. Is somebody else getting this error or it's just me ?

Reverted back to the 14th of March version and there everything is OK. sd_uhs is recognized and started with the start of the camera.

Another small issue is with live view and custom ratios.

Using 2.5K 2520 1418 mode from crop_mode menu

With standard ratio of 2.35:1 set by the script in crop_mode menu, live view works correctly. Image is refreshed at slower rates and turns black and white when recording but presents a correct view of what will be recorder. This in my understanding and experience is how live view works in crop mode.

But my preferred ratio for video is 2:1. And in order to get it follow Danne's instructions in previous post:
   - 2.35:1 ratio in crop_mode is turned off
   - change the ratio to 2:1 and resolution 2400x1200 in RAW_video menu. 2520x1250 doesn't give me enough seconds of recording so I lower the resolution a bit

But at this point live view doesn't work as it was working when 2.35:1 ratio was set. It turns to x5 crop. So I see only a portion of the recorded image. Only when half pressing the shutter, then see the picture as it will be recorded - at lower fps and as it was when ratio is 2.35:1.

So my question is: Is this behavior by design ? And could it be made to work consistently across all ratios ?

Danne

Quote from: stef7 on March 27, 2019, 02:22:17 PM
Please enable sd_uhs module.
Seems to me you are still using the lua overclocking script. It´s not needed anymore. Simply enable sd_uhs module and it will patch when starting camera. If notplease send me your whole SETTINGS folder from inside ML folder on card root.

Ratio issue. Is your preview mode set to framing?

optical-work

Quote from: stef7 on March 27, 2019, 02:22:17 PM
But at this point live view doesn't work as it was working when 2.35:1 ratio was set. It turns to x5 crop. So I see only a portion of the recorded image. Only when half pressing the shutter, then see the picture as it will be recorded - at lower fps and as it was when ratio is 2.35:1.

entering canon menu might interfere with auto preview mode. in raw video menu set crop rec preview to "off" and preview to "framing".

stef7

Thank you Danne and optical-work for the help! Setting preview to 'framing' indeed made live view work as wanted and expected.
Was not aware that lua script was not needed anymore. Formatted the card, installed ML latest version and message about sd_uhs is gone. Maybe there is an easier way to stop lua script but this one works too :)

Many thanks to Danne and others for the great work that made EOS M such a nice raw video camera ! 

darthivm

Hey guys, thank you for all your effort :)
I am following all the discussions here since half a year and the results so far have been great!

1) I am wondering how can i use dfort pixel maps for MLVApp 1.6. I recorded a video in 1280x1920 with 5k anamorphic (which will result in 3840x1920) and i am seeing focus pixels, how can i get rid of it. i know there are some focus pixel maps from dfort. i downloaded his whole repository and put my mlvapp in the directory of the *.fpm files. but i think there is none for this resolution. so what to do ?

2) i was wondering what is the difference in between the mcm mode and the mv1080 mode from before. somehow i forgot it and there is too much in the forum to find the explanation back again. Thanks ;)

masc

Quote from: darthivm on March 28, 2019, 12:49:17 PM
1)... i downloaded his whole repository and put my mlvapp in the directory of the *.fpm files. ...
Should work. Doesn't picture in viewer change when toggling the focus pixel buttons? Please send a short MLV...

Quote from: darthivm on March 28, 2019, 12:49:17 PM
2) i was wondering what is the difference in between the mcm mode and the mv1080 mode from before. somehow i forgot it and there is too much in the forum to find the explanation back again.
Main difference for the user is:
-mv1080: slow preview
-mv1080 mcm: real time preview
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

marcelolippi

The march 24 version is amazing, I work in 4.5k continually, without problems... I don't change this version it's stable...THANKS DANNE!

2blackbar

Hey guys is it possible to record mov files cropped  and save some cpu cycles?
I noticed i have less rolling shutter when im recording raw 2.35:1 compared to recroding 16:9 even in mov h264.
That pre recording crop for sure lets camera record faster when i use 2.35:1 so it doesnt have to sweat as much as when recording 16:9, so is it possible to record actual 2.35:1 to h264 mov files ? That improves rolling shutter and would be worthy from what i see.
What do You guys think ?

Teamsleepkid

I think h.264 looks like crap so why bother?
EOS M

ricardopt

Quote from: 2blackbar on March 31, 2019, 01:58:18 AM
Hey guys is it possible to record mov files cropped  and save some cpu cycles?
I noticed i have less rolling shutter when im recording raw 2.35:1 compared to recroding 16:9 even in mov h264.
That pre recording crop for sure lets camera record faster when i use 2.35:1 so it doesnt have to sweat as much as when recording 16:9, so is it possible to record actual 2.35:1 to h264 mov files ? That improves rolling shutter and would be worthy from what i see.
What do You guys think ?

If that is possible it would be a nice addition to the magic lantern features, i think everyone in the past has cropped 16:9 mp4 video to 2:35 aspect ratio, if magic lantern could do 2:35 native mp4, the bitrate distribution/video quality would be better on 2:35 video since no bitrate is wasted on "future" cropped areas, only used on actual video.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: ricardopt on March 31, 2019, 01:31:38 PM
if magic lantern could do 2:35 native mp4, the bitrate distribution/video quality would be better on 2:35 video since no bitrate is wasted on "future" cropped areas,

I don't think it works this way. Do you have some data backing up your opinion?