Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norek

Danne!

No words... incredible...  :o testing all weekend...

henricusmaria

Nice!

Does this also mean less aliasing and moiré?

Danne

Please do tests, compare and post your results.

kayman1021

Apart from the center focus pixels in red and blue, i have noticed some repetetive pattern in both greens as well. Under the cat's head. Very faintly i see it in red and blue as well.

EOS 100D, Xiaomi A1

masc

Hi Danne, something is strange here when trying your todays build: using mv1080p MCM rewire preset I get a resolution of 1672x564 for 16:9... is that expected? Do I have to stretch it in height like the mv720p files? And I only get 29.973fps, not 23.x.

Edit... no... nothing to stretch. it is 1672x564 and needs no stretch. But ratio in liveview is not correct here too.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

You should get 1736x976 mv1080p. Try canon menu button a few times if nothing works. Also set resolution to max under Raw video menu.

masc

Hm... max resolution is set to 5xxx pixels, pressed Menu button so often now, but nothing changes. I get only this:

Edit... AAHHH! Movie Crop Mode has to be switched ON? (see it in your screenshot now)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Japp... that's it. Forgot to switch on Crop Mode! Looks fantastic now! ;) Great work Danne!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

The sun is shining, so I was outside with the new reworked mv1080p mode. Handling is fantastic - I can focus fine now! Yay. In the green grass I saw that the bottom line is red. Maybe you know which register has to be get a little hit to make it the right color :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Great @masc. Thanks for pixelpeeping. Is version above without the bottom red line?

masc

Thanks Danne. The red line is away. But did you change more? In my test clip I got so much moiree and "stair effects" at diagonal lines... way more than with yesterdays build (but don't have it anymore to compare). MLVApp 100% zoom ( f/2.8 ):

Edit: compared to the "old" mv1080p mode, no stairs to see there using same settings. So something is strange with new version.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Funky. Deleted the build. Will check into it this evening.

Danne

By the way. Could you test and compare like this:
In Crop mode sub menu do:
Skip_top 2
Skip_bottom -2
This is the old settings.

masc

Yes, it is better with the change of these two variables. Extreme moiree is gone again. But I don't see the red line... find no green to film for test here.

Edit: yes... red line is back again, moiree is gone with +2, -2. It is not just moiree, there is much more noise and very red focus pixels.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

You could test maybe +1 and -1 too? Will check over here as well.

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

@masc, please test.
Confirmed getting sharper focus pixels and more moiré before. Why, I have no idea.

masc

What's different in this build?
I tested:
+0-0: moiree and no line
+1-1: less moiree and line
+2-2: have to search moiree and line
+3-3: extreme moiree and noise and 2 lines

Maybe -1+1 is better? :D Edit: no.  :P
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dfort

There are some cases where the edges might show a red line or a green line or just a change in density depending on what app you use (assuming MLV App in your case).

Here's an extreme example that ACR shows but dcraw doesn't:

If you pixel peep the bottom of Danne's cat picture there's also something going on:

Not sure how debayering works but depending on the algorithm it seems that things can get messed up at the very edges. I pointed this out to Dave Coffin, dcraw developer, but never got a reply from him or a clue how this could be fixed. My hunch is that solving this would also help when removing focus pixels from dual iso footage.

masc

Tested new build... no red line, but very colorful moiree (I think more then in yesterdays build)

Picture @ f2.8 (full open)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I have the issue right now I can´t reproduce. @masc. What are your settings? fps, iso.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

From the latest upload I tested a static scene and ran:
0, 0
+1, -1
+2, -2
+3, -3
+4, -4
then:
-1, +1
+2, -2

All files were about the same regarding aliasing and focus pixels. Hmm.

Could you do a static scene with exact same settings and produce two examples which clearly shows the difference imagewise?

masc

Have to do it tomorrow. It is getting dark and the best view to reproduce was outside with fences and trees. Inside I don't get moiree.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

All I see with indoor tests is:
+5-5; +6-6: white line and a red line at the bottom
+3-3; +4-4: red line at the bottom
+1-1; +2-2; 0 0; -1+1; -2+2: no line at the bottom
5D3.113 | EOSM.202