Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrIndieJ

Let me just say, WOW. This camera has come a long way! Danne, I can't thank you enough for your contribution. I almost gave up on it, because of the frustrations I had with image quality and all the hassle of settings, but with this newest version (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Feb11.EOSM202) I literally just installed, enabled the modules, and set the 2 presets to autorun. I am VERY new to this (hence the struggling with focusing in the videos), but these developments have given me the push that I needed.

Below is a sample of what I was able to get out of this rainy, foggy day. First two are handheld, second two are tripod. This was taken with a Canon EF 1.8f STM and the Commlite adapter. I just ran the MLV files through the MLVApp to get H.265 format MP4s.

Link - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rvHN5jidLZLFvB20Mj4ptYFwk7_5L7jf

OlRivrRat

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

henricusmaria

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2019, 01:44:16 PM
Be sure to check out the x3zoom which gives a really nice tele resolution at 1x1 pixel ratio.

Does this x3 zoom turn mv1080p into moviecrop mode?

masc

Quote from: OlRivrRat on February 11, 2019, 10:19:44 PM
Is there some benefit to 25FPS vs 24FPS?
Here in germany most TVs seem to work with fps numbers x*25 and use optical flows at 50Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz,...
I always feel it looks smoother if the clip has 25fps than something else. 23.x and 29.x always looks a little jumpi over here. But maybe those jumps are the cinematic feeling... :D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Updated white level for 10bit to following:
iso 100 white level 2840
other isos white level 2890

Tested against highlight recovery sliders in Mlv App. Could probably need some more testing. It´s also arguable if analog gain regs should be pushed a little to get closer to 3000 but seems it works good as is right now.

optical-work

spent some time with today's build.

mv1080 with x3zoom gives me vertical jagged lines like 3x1 modes. so i tried manually activating x5 zoom and jagged lines are gone but also it says mv1080 works only x1 zoom mode.

i never needed to change resolution and aspect ratio in the raw video menu but when i want to get continuous 2.5k 16:9 setting. if 16:9 preset in crop mode menu could be a continuous setting like 1920x1080 it would be usefull.

4.5k anamorphic title at the bottom line of the global draw is a little bit long and it causes focus distance value disappear. it appears when focus ring is turned but that's laggy and usually no use. so the title might be shorter.

and i only have corruption with mv1080 48 fps x3zoom.

Danne

New version:

Cool @optical-work. All fixed!
Please recheck for jagged edges. No need for x5 zoom. As Levas once pointed out reg 8000 needs to be set to 5 and jagged edges are gone. Had forgotten about that. Also shortened name on global draw and added a 16:9 x5 preset(2192x1234). Let me know how it goes...

Edit:
reuploaded a new build. Missed a line.

masc

Whitelevel seems to be correct now! Cool!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

optical-work

jagged edges are gone and 2192x1234 is even better. but focus distance isn't still there with 1x3 mode. actually i can't really complain because you already made focusing easier but again that feature comes in very handy especially adjusting the focus for infinity using these focus rings without hard stops. @Danne

there is also another issue with dual iso. i couldn't end up with a video that doesn't flicker when dual iso is on. i tried various iso combinations with still shots and moving camera and it always flickers without any color adjustments. tested 1x3 mode and mv1080 (in which i'm well aware of having smooth videos before). i'll try again tomorrow though.

Danne

Quote from: optical-work on February 12, 2019, 11:49:41 PM
that feature comes in very handy especially adjusting the focus for infinity using these focus rings without hard stops. @Danne

i couldn't end up with a video that doesn't flicker when dual iso is on.
X3zoom for infinity focus. Are you using it as a dedicated focusing tool switching back to non crop when recording or is the x3crop used when recording?

Regarding dual iso an example file would be needed for checking what's going on.

Jonit

Quote from: optical-work on February 12, 2019, 11:49:41 PM
there is also another issue with dual iso. i couldn't end up with a video that doesn't flicker when dual iso is on. i tried various iso combinations with still shots and moving camera and it always flickers without any color adjustments. tested 1x3 mode and mv1080 (in which i'm well aware of having smooth videos before). i'll try again tomorrow though.
I'm also having problem with flickering DualISO shots. It flickers ocasionaly on some shots through out the entire clip. But I noticed that on many clips there is flickering in the last second of video or so..

I will upload the file later.

Jonit

zabenoid

Hi! I have a problem: I'm trying to do silent-film style fps pitch, in music video. Electricity is 50hz so i need to shoot 25fps. So i need to pitch backing music and i maybe need 37 or 38 fps for that and slow it to 25, then play slowed down music to get lip sync, then pitch up the footage back to 37 or 38. (or use led lamps and shoot 16 and pitch to 24). So: i need working FPS override AND some ML version to get my camera to record faster in SD card, am i correct? I can only get to a bit over 31 fps with regular build.
Which build i need to use?
Help!

Danne

You can start reading from here @zabenoid:

You can get fps up to 45 in mv1080p 16:9. This means you will be able to decrease from 45 to 37 fps which makes it even better for continuous shooting. 25 fps is also working.

@Jonit
What were your settings when exporting this file? What program was used to process? Mlv App? Did you compile it yourself? Official download? You could also try sharing the file in the Mlv App thread since I suspect there is something with conversion which can cause this. Lastly. Did you try exportingthe MLV into dng files instead of exportting to mov file? If the dng files are processed ok then we could suspect either post processing sliders or something in dual iso/Mlv App code.

Edit: I exported the file and can confirm small flicker. Try exporting to dng and see if that works better...Still some micro flicker. I think if anyone can draw a good conclusion here it would be bouncyball.

optical-work

i think x3zoom has no effect on anamorphic mode but distance parameter is placed, just gone when dual iso is on. sorry, i missed that. @Danne.

Danne

Correct. x3 is applied to the mv1080p presets. Not really useful for anamorphic and the mv720p 50fps mode.

zabenoid

Ok, thanks @Danne!
Now, about shutter speed, i'm confused... let's say i shoot 18 fps, so how do i get to set it to about 36, to follow 180 rule? Looks very complicated!

Danne

I have no idea. I think though, using fps override decreasing fps is working better than increasing from my presets. Or you could increase or decrease reg_614 to adjust fps.
Maybe someone else can help further. Good luck.

liuk718

being comparison 2.5k 30fps and 5k anamorphic 24fps(2:35:1 on),i choosed 5k anamorphic mode fianlly,it's low noise and very nice quality that i need.thanks danne!

optical-work

here, two consecutive 5 seconds shots of a wall, frame is fixed, dual iso is on. i tried them with mlv app and mlvfs, both flickers.

400/800 iso: https://we.tl/t-BYPZmQ9bqC

200/800 iso: https://we.tl/t-ZSFpZKR5Bk

there is also one without dual iso if needed: https://we.tl/t-iNi04I5DFY

Danne

Any conclusions? Is it also happening when using base iso 100?
I´ve seen slight variations in colr/white balance causing flicker. Cannot find the post about it but I´m sure a1ex knows what´s going on.

the_real_bill_jones

I've been trying to shoot with the mv1080 preset in x3 crop mode, but the framing in the preview is all wrong. It's squished and doesn't show the whole frame that's being recorded. When I view the file on my computer, it's fine. Just the preview that's messed up. Is this just how it is, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Edit: Seems the framing in regular movie crop mode is off too. Also I'm getting focus pixels in mv1080 crop, but not in movie crop.

dfort

Quote from: the_real_bill_jones on February 15, 2019, 04:50:37 AM
Also I'm getting focus pixels in mv1080 crop, but not in movie crop.

Which build are you using? Focus pixel fixing for Danne's bleeding edge builds is still a work in progress. Check on the Dealing with Focus Pixels in raw video for updates. If you are using a build from the official ML downloads pages then we have a problem. Which application are you using for your MLV files?

the_real_bill_jones

I'm Using MLV APP 1.5 and the Feb 13th build

Danne

New build:

"mv1080p correct real time preview"

I´m experimenting with reconfiguring Movie crop mode back to mv1080p and it seems to be working. The positive side effect here is that we get 16:9 real time preview with correct ratio just like when filming 1080p H.264.

Select Movie crop mode:

Then select mv1080p MCM rewire 16:9:

At first you should get the x3 zoom but when the rewire preset is chosen it should get you back into mv1080p 23.980 fps. There should be a black border to the right to indicate you are in the right place. The border won´t affect the recording.
You can always push canon MENU button once or twice to refresh registry if things gets stuck. Restart camera if needed.

This kind of proofs the idea from dfort about Movie crop mode working properly and that it could be reconfigured back to mv1080p. Next step would be to find out what registers could be added without going through Movie crop mode to get straight into this mode without roundtrips. Creating logs with adtg_gui would be a good start.

This preset works with regular bits 14/12/10 lossless and uncompressed but will not work with bitrate changes from the Crop mode sub menu. Only 16:9 for now. Might work changing 24 or 25 fps straight in canon menu. Or even better seems to be using FPS override.

MLV file:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/cat_rewired.MLV

Do not forget. These builds are bleeding edge. Test with caution and report back what´s working and not.