Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Thanks Joni! great stuff.
Still some pink frames to fix I see for the build to be perfect but I must say 4.5k looks very cinematic.
Thanks for sharing.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Liveview will show a clean 14bit preview while not recording(previewing mode). As soon as you hit record liveview change according to bitrate chosen and analog gain registers will kick in.

masc

Thx Danne, using this register picture looks way better - whyever. Maybe a little less noise - don't understand, maybe my test conditions are not perfect...

@Jonit: great video! :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Not sure how your footage is affected but when reg_6014 is used you change the reg directly in the preset.
I have set all presets on 2.35:1 to 24 fps as we need the speed and that's also what I use most of the time but 25 fps should be working too for most presets.
If footage has artefacts when using fps override it might be a conflict with power timing registry.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: OlRivrRat on February 10, 2019, 07:32:46 PM
             @DEJedi

Nice Vid', Great Cat. Have You tried any ML on SL1/100D lately? Please post on SL1 thread.

Thanks, @OlRivrRat! Will get back into SL1/100D soon.

Quote from: Jonit on February 10, 2019, 08:42:31 PM
Something to share with you guys...

Indeed, great stuff @Jonit -- pretty impressive footage especially coming from an 18-55 IS STM lens. Maybe I should pick up one? Ha.

Also If you don't mind me asking how come you chose abnormal ISO settings (i.e. 400/3200 or even 3200/400) for Dual-ISO footage?

I def gotta get my hands down w this slo-mo 3x3 binning in 47.991p which speaks volumes about this tiny cam's potential. Thanks for sharing!  :o
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

And as always. When using 48 fps turn off global draw for best performance.

Jonit

Thanks guys!

@DeafEyeJedi - regarding DualISO settings, it depends on the lighting conditions. During the day, I aim to expose for the highlights with a base iso (e.g. ISO 100) and then I choose recovery ISO a couple stops higher (in this case it would be 100/800). Let's say that I'm filming indoors where is a bright light coming form the window, but there is also an artifical lighting (like in some of the beginning shots), then I would expose for the window (ISO 400 in that specific example) and set recovery ISO to 3200 to "light up" the remaining indoor scene. It works quite nicely I would say.
Sometimes I do it the opposite way, where I film at ISO 3200 and set the recovery ISO to something like 400. I guess it works both ways.. If I'm wrong then correct me please.

And yeah, that 48fps is golden. I like the fact, that on some of the shots (with not much rapid movements), you can slow it down even further with something like Twixtor or Optical flow and not get much artifacts. Pretty neat!

-regarding the 18-55 IS STM lens, I like that lens very much. It's neat and tiny and OIS is great. But what I like the most about it are the flares it produces when shooting against direct sunlight. Beautiful greenish flares. heh  :)

Danne

Regarding 48 fps you can try shooting 50fps by decreasing reg_6014 until it reaches 50fps. I think dail down to -50 or so. It´s in the sub menu. Also test the latest build and check if it works any better regarding corruption.

gravitatemediagroup

Those vertical lines were visible, but scouts honor I didn't adjust fps override.  I'll see if I can recreate the issue with newest build, but so far I haven't seen anything of it.

Danne

Yes, reproduce. Do you have the file somewhere?

ctfire

Just test Dannes latest build. 1080p 24 and 48 fps are corruption free, and with nice preview , i think it's the best build i've tested. Only issue is that when fps override is on there is some vertical lines in video. But i don't think it's a big problem fore more users.
Thank you Danne for your work.

Danne

Cool.
Again. fps override will interfere with static set fps. What fps are you aiming for? I could set a preset for another fps, let´s say 25fps in the sub menu. Or you can also use reg_6014(decrease it) to achieve higher frame rates. Of course, the higher frame rate, higher risk for corruption.

ctfire

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2019, 01:26:59 PM
Cool.
Again. fps override will interfere with static set fps. What fps are you aiming for? I could set a preset for another fps, let´s say 25fps in the sub menu. Or you can also use reg_6014(decrease it) to achieve higher frame rates. Of course, the higher frame rate, higher risk for corruption.

I try to set it to 23.976  like an experiment , and saw that lines , but it's only visible in 2.35:1 aspect ratio , in particular use i think nobody will use that value on practice. So I think the last build is incredible. Eos m is now more usefull than first BMPCC .
Now i am waiting my focal reducer for eos m, and wanna try how it will work , it will be almost full frame raw camera

Danne

Nice. Yeah, it´s very versatile. Be sure to check out the x3zoom which gives a really nice tele resolution at 1x1 pixel ratio. Nice to use even for 48fps.

masc

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2019, 01:26:59 PM
Cool.
+1! I am looking mostly for 23.976 and 25.000 fps. If this would be possible via submenu, this would be cool for quick setup.

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2019, 01:44:16 PM
Nice. Yeah, it´s very versatile. Be sure to check out the x3zoom which gives a really nice tele resolution at 1x1 pixel ratio. Nice to use even for 48fps.
I really like this for focusing! Unfortunately this can't work for 1x3 mode.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

gravitatemediagroup

Yeah, 24 or 30 is what I shoot most. But in this situation, tre most stable is all that matters. :)

Danne

30 fps is probably not gonna work too good. 25fps more so.
For focusing masc? But x3zoom will also record in this mode. Are you after a tempory zoom function?

masc

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2019, 03:29:50 PM
For focusing masc? But x3zoom will also record in this mode. Are you after a tempory zoom function?
My biggest problem is, that I nearly never get correct focus on my EOS M. The 3x zoom helps a lot there. Yes I know, you can record with it too... (really nice! I like how easy it is now!). In 1x3 mode focusing is nearly impossible, because the realtime preview has wrong aspect ratio and is way darker (and green), so beeing outside I really see nothing on my display. Indoor I get it here and there...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Added a 25fps switch in the sub menu:

Will work with following presets when 2.35:1 or 16:9 is selected:
2.5K 2520x1418
mv1080p 1736x1158
5K anamorphic

@masc 1x3 real time view is preeeetty anamorphic. Better than nothing. Fixing it is beyond my horizon atm.

masc

Oh thanks so much Danne! I'll try out this evening! :)
Yes, sure, I believe it is not easy. Maybe an idea: could it be possible to switch to "mv1080p x3" when halfshutter is pressed (when not recording) and to switch back to 1x3 when halfshutter released? Maybe doing so only if a option switch is set somewhere... just an idea... you can hit me now :D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Yes might work. Problem for me right now it includes switching reg 800c. I don't see how to "fast" switch this register. Maybe a1ex has some ideas  :P

masc

Tested your new todays version: 14bit preview is already much better. Now I have some contrast on my screen! 25fps also works fine - so far corruption free. What a shame that exact 25fps is not possible with this reg_6014... but maybe nobody recognizes when using in projects... may I get synchronization problems when recording music videos for 3..5min? 0.005 fps is not much ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

na, think your sync is ok.
We could probably refine this more but it will take some work...

OlRivrRat

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Danne