Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AF-OFF

Quote from: Danne on January 30, 2019, 04:51:41 PM
If you want to test the presets with the 2.35:1 ratios set I wouldn´t mind hearing about the results  8)
sure ...
Just downloaded the fresh Jan30 build and did some testing - all recordings 2.35:1 , 10bit, sd-uhs , no GD and no sound. did stop all recordings manualy after 1min.
mv720p, 1736x694 50fps, no bad frames. MLV App reports 1736x442 pixels , 49,959fps. needs a height stretch 1.67x.
mv1080p, 1736x976 46/48 fps, no bad frames, actual size is 1648x702 & 47,991 fps.
mv1080p, 1736x1158, two bad frames, actual size 1736x738 & 24.002 fps.
& finally also 2.5k 2520x1418, no bad frames, actual size 2520x1072 & 23,976 fps.

it gets better and better. Many Thanks Danne and others

Jonit

Quote from: Danne on January 30, 2019, 10:44:43 PM
I would do all recordings with 10bit 2.35:1 sd_uhs on.
48fps with global draw off.
If the anamorphic mode isn't continuous you can reduce offsets manually by using the skip_left, skip_reight etc to reduce ratio straight in the sub menu. This maybe works straight in Raw video resolution menu, not sure.
Anyway. Tell me what presets you aim to use and we can focus on them for a while.

Yeah, I did all recordings with 10bit 2.35:1 sd_uhs on, only difference was that I had GD on. Didn't have time yesterday to test it with GD off. But anamorphic seemed to do OK even with GD on and recording times were also great (possibly continuous). The only "problem" was with 48fps, where it had a couple of pink frames.
Do you think Danne, that there will be a possibility someday to run corruption-free 48fps with GD on? So to have a proper framing... because I find it quite difficult to properly frame a subject without "framing LV" mode.

Thanks a lot.

Danne

You could test the 2.35:1 48fps setting with preview Real-time or Auto. Could give a corrupted file, especially in the beginning.

ctfire

Just film some footage and also get color dots in blown out areas , for converting mlv i as always use MLVapp

masc

Quote from: ctfire on January 31, 2019, 01:24:23 PM
Just film some footage and also get color dots in blown out areas , for converting mlv i as always use MLVapp

What was your setting (camera and MLVApp)? Would be nice to get some frames of this clip for testing! These dots look different than mine. Have you tried MLVApp version from today? v1.5 is out!
Danne solved one of my dot problems: don't use ISO6400! (I would never do that for serious recording. I only did that for testing... and so the dots came...)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

gravitatemediagroup

What setting would be causing all highlights to be pink?  I've tried several variations of settings adjustments but pink is all I get, so I figured I'd stop and ask for directions. lmao

Danne

More info please. Settings etc. Maybe also a mlv file.

masc

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 31, 2019, 03:28:29 PM
What setting would be causing all highlights to be pink?  I've tried several variations of settings adjustments but pink is all I get, so I figured I'd stop and ask for directions. lmao
There is no setting causing pink highlights. It is the standard of each file where highlights are overexposed (green channel clipped makes pink color). You can repair this: bring down exposure of highlights, check Highlight Reconstruction, setup "the right" RAW White Level. For my EOS M @10bit lossless this is around 2800+-100.
@Danne: sometimes this is a little higher, sometimes a little lower. Do you have an idea why? Normally the value were a channel clips should always be the same.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Not really sure. Maybe lossless works with variable bitrates in highlight. Maybe I am talking out of my ass  :P.
Anyway. I set 10bit by reducing gain valuse in crop_rec.c:
    if (bitrate == 0x3)
    {
/* 10bit roundtrip only not applied here with following set ups */
adtg_new[13] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8882, 60 + reg_analog_gain};
                adtg_new[14] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8884, 60 + reg_analog_gain};
                adtg_new[15] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8886, 60 + reg_analog_gain};
                adtg_new[16] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8888, 60 + reg_analog_gain};
}

In raw.c I hard code White level to 3000. Maybe it should be set to 2800?:
        if (shamem_read(0xC0F42744) == 0x4040404)
        {
    /* 10bit by checking pushed liveview gain register set in crop_rec.c */
            int default_white = WHITE_LEVEL;
            return (default_white = 3000);   
        }

a1ex

Pink highlights: see this commit and follow the links.

The workaround for 700D/100D might also work out of the box on EOS M/M2 and 650D, possibly other models, or it might not. Running the tests linked in the above commit is the only way to find out.

If analog gains are tweaked, it might be a different story. Still, the value printed by raw_diag should be a good starting point.

Danne

New upload:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Thanks @a1ex for the white level links. Put it up on todo list. Hopefully someone might dig into the issue.

New upload experimenting with void FAST hack_liveview_vsync() in mlv_lite.c. There´s so much interesting code created by a1ex and g3gg0 it never seems to end. Anyway I used this part to get real time preview while camera is in raw idle mode(standby not recording). Works by pressing halfshutter when using following presets:
    "3K 3032x1436",
    "4K 4038x2558",
    "5K anamorphic",(default setting)

Good for setting focus beforing hitting rec. Before the only way was to use framing mode. Also added for 100D.

Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/9fbfa7f95d2bfd436c43ab2d8b01fa200b0e45b3

masc

What exactly is the difference to the version before? When using 5K anamorphic, it looks the same for me... or have I forgotten to setup a parameter? (picture gets greenish touch and y axis is stretched)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I changed the default preset "anamorphic" so it wouldn´t give real time preview other than in 2.35:1 and 16:9.
The bigger use is with 3k and 4k since they are totally dependent on framing preview when both in idle and while recording. Now at least we can zoom in with real time(cropped) preview before recording.

masc

Is there any way to "unstretch" realtime preview in anamorphic mode, or is it impossible because of register settings? It is very hard to focus with it (okay... it is better than framing, but...) :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Well. A1ex has some thinking about what and where to look for this kind of reg manipulation. If there´s any solution I don´t see how it would be done in real time live view other than maybe when setting focus before hitting record.
In this hack by the way it´s actually possible to modify regs while recording but of course you will get corrupted output while focusing. Maybe if this hack was done while pausing recording it might be a start for new achievements  :P

nikki

Is the evf usable while recording on this model?

briwil

Quote from: nikki on January 31, 2019, 08:53:34 PM
Is the evf usable while recording on this model?
Your EOS-M has a viewfinder??

henricusmaria

Comparing these modes: Mv1080p vs 5k anamorphic

Apart from the difference in resolution, which mode has the best image quality? Which mode has the least artifacts?

Danne

You could easily do some testing on this and find out real quick. Also maybe even post your results.

henricusmaria

My tests today show that the mv1080p mode is more detailed. With the mlvapp v1.5 I don't see much difference anymore in artifacts betweeen the two modes. But it could be the weather conditions. Lots of smog today which results in low contrast. Before I've noticed a fair amount of aliasing with the mv1080p mode in sunny conditions.
I'm asking because I don't know if it is the weather conditions or maybe the new mlvapp version that gives different results. And I was under the impression that the new 5k amamorphic mode would yield better results (Less aliasing and better image quality).

Danne

Please upload short example files. Easy to shorten in mlv app.

Danne

New upload:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Reverted a reg for anamorphic 2.35:1
- Yesterday commit(preview capability in idle mode) only to work when preview set to 'framing'

masc

When using 2.5K and pressing halfshutter the liveview shows some kind of modern art and I have to go back to ML-menu, press menu button to get it back normal. Same for 3K, 4K, 3x1 modes. mv1080 and 5K anamorphic modes are working when doing the same. mv720 mode seems to have wrong framing (1.67 stretching missing?), but does not have the bug descibed above.

4.5 anamorphic seems to record corruption free here. No single corrupted frame so far. Great.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

2,3,4,5k modes needs to be in x5 zoom. Only 2.5k has realtime preview while recording. 3k, and 4k works best with framing set...

Generally to switch modes it is safest to enter and exit ml menu for all regs to settle.

masc

Quote from: Danne on February 01, 2019, 08:11:55 PM
2,3,4,5k modes needs to be in x5 zoom. Only 2.5k has realtime preview while recording. 3k, and 4k works best with framing set...

Generally to switch modes it is safest to enter and exit ml menu for all regs to settle.
Yes, I do so. Framing is on and I enter and exit ml menu. But as soon as I press halfshutter, I get this problem as described. How can I activate x5 zoom? I thought this is activated automatically?!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202