Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

@Tullen: Don't get overexcited about "super" moon. It's not that much a difference and blood moons are not that rare.

Source: Wikepedia

Naked eye may not see a difference at all ...

HappyBlack

Guys, what settings would you recommend for shooting video with an 2x anamorphic adapter in front of the EOS M?

Looking for 1:1 or 4:3 in-camera aspect ratio, tops.

The new 1x3 pixel binning looks gorgeous, but I can't use 2.35:1, since after anamorphic desqueeze it'll turn into a terrifying 4.7:1

Regards.

Upstep

@HappyBlack
You can use the mv1080p mode from crop_rec. (3x3 binning)
You can get 3:2 1736x1158.
But if you really need 4:3 set the horizontal resolution in the raw settings to "1600" and you'll be able to get "4:3" 1600x1158. (crops in a bit)

Probably your best bets

HappyBlack

briwil

How does the upscaling work, its via metadata? If I open 1x3 DNG files in Premiere, it opens correct, but if I bring them into Resolve, they are 1/3 the horizontal resolution (1500something vs 4500something). Is there a way to work with Resolve, vs just scaling it up horizontally 300%? Or is scaling it up 300% basically the exact same thing as what Premiere is doing?

masc

Upscaling works via metadata in cdng, right. I also saw that Resolve seems not to be able to scale automatically - whyever. But in editor there is a possibility to scale X axis by 300%.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

thehaxfactory

I hate to ask as I feel like this is likely known information posted somewhere (I haven't been able to find it despite reading half of this thread and searching several times both here and on Google), but if I was to pick up an EOS M would I be able to use it as a webcam for streaming with a capture device and what would the limitations be?

I'd like to find something better than the standard Logitech C920 webcams used all over Twitch, but wouldn't have a huge budget to do so (I mean I can go up to a T3i and I know that should work, I'd just rather not). Plus, if I'm honestly, I did go to school for film and I've wanted a DSLR for years, but could never afford one. Besides, I would need something that can perform double duty like this.

I like the form factor of the EOS M and you really can't beat that price tag either, so if it'd work, it'd really be the ideal choice for me right now.

I know it doesn't support the capture over USB feature.
I am pretty sure I can get clean HDMI output with Magic Lantern from what I've read.
I've heard some things about the video output being locked to 1080i.
I wouldn't be recording while in this mode, I hear time out may be a problem?

I'm just trying to get a feel for this.

Walter Schulz

thehaxfactory

Okay, so I can use a script to functionally kill the timeout.

Does that mean the other things I've researched are correct?

I think the saddest loss for me would be forced 1080i, I'm not quite sure how well trying to deinterlace the footage while streaming would work out.

And thank you for putting up with this odd question.

Walter Schulz

Can't answer that. Not owning an M and there are some pitfalls with M (mv720 ...) and some exciting new developments.
I hope dfort may have an answer about M's HDMI output in photo liveview and non-recording movie liveview.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Quote from: AF-OFF on January 20, 2019, 03:06:18 PM
1.,    the mv1080p 1736x1158 mode (which is 3:2 ratio, same as the sensor, could this be fixed in the croprec/ratio menu? ) records 1736x976 (16:9), (does not change even if I set Aspect ratio to 3:2 in RAW video) @ 24fps without problems. very nice. did a 15 min. recording, cam temperature stays at 48°C, no frames corrupted. green record indicator all the time.
Just leave the ratios options altogether to get the full sensor readout.

Quote from: AF-OFF on January 20, 2019, 03:06:18 PM
2.,    the mv720p 1736x696 50fps mode, longest continuous recording ca. 1min. with average of 30-40 sec. continuous, has some corrupted frames, out of a 1200 frames recording it has 14 corrupt frames, another 300 frames recording has one. the bottom of all clips has a approximately 10 pixel thin line in all clips with 50fps. all clips have to be transformed in MLV App to 1,67x height.
Fixed the bottom line.

Regarding pink frames. Main goal is to have the 2.35:1 ratio working corruptionless in all modes. Might be hard but with some hard work and testing maybe possible.
Speaking of helping out. I added some registers in the submenu in crop_rec. Those can be used to tweak on going builds to test and optimize corruption issues:

For instance. If you notice corruption try reducing 713c a couple of steps. Try also that with 7150 and test record again a few clips.
There also the timers. Pushing 6014 will reduce fps and to push it back up you can reduce the 6008 register. The process can be done the outher way around as well. Report any good numbers here and I can test them out.
The 6804 height and width might not be so easy to play with so maybe leave those alone for now.

Danne

Pushed this fix into the code which seems to have fixed mv1080p 50 fps preset from corrupted frames. Also a good example on how to use the registers together.

optical-work

when i use dual iso with 1x3 preset, mlv app chroma smooth settings don't fix focus pixels whether or not fix bad pixels and fix focus dots are turned off. tried with different iso values on 2019Jan20 build.

bergamote

Shot a few 30s clips in 1x3 with the jan20 build and no corrupted frames! Didn't try dual iso because it didn't seem to crash as much with overexposure (still a bit tho).
Very handy to have the half-press live view for focusing! Framing view does break every now and then (just doesn't come back after half-press) but disabling then re enabling raw video brings it back.
Also found out that raw video needs to be switched on BEFORE running the sd overclock script for it to work. Might be obvious but it took me a mo to work it out.

This is very cool stuff, the image quality is bonkers and it's getting more practical and usable by the day. Thanks a million Danne!

bergamote

Quote from: optical-work on January 22, 2019, 12:56:32 AM
when i use dual iso with 1x3 preset, mlv app chroma smooth settings doesn't fix focus pixels whether or not fix bad pixels and fix focus dots are turned off. tried with different iso values on 2019Jan20 build.
Same here even without dual iso. I s'pose it's a matter of new use, new focus pixel. If I understood well, dfort could look into this once we know which settings work reliably.

Danne

Is framing working better when Clear overlays 'HalfShutter' is set? Less breaks?

optical-work

Quote from: bergamote on January 22, 2019, 01:08:18 AM
Same here even without dual iso. I s'pose it's a matter of new use, new focus pixel. If I understood well, dfort could look into this once we know which settings work reliably.

Chroma smooth works without dual iso but i guess it isn't meant to be applied after dual iso post process. because same thing happens with other crop modes.

bergamote

@Danne
yep, clear overlays does the trick, cheers!

@optical-work
I see. Here, in 1x3 without dual iso, chroma smooth definitely makes the focus pixels less visible but they don't totally go away.

dfort

Quote from: optical-work on January 22, 2019, 01:30:59 PM
Chroma smooth works without dual iso but i guess it isn't meant to be applied after dual iso post process. because same thing happens with other crop modes.

Focus pixel removal on dual iso should be done before it is processed. To get a better understanding why read the Dealing with Focus Pixels in raw video topic. Start from this post and read the following several replies.

Focus pixel removal is basically chroma smoothing applied to specific areas instead overall. For example, let's zero in on a focus pixel and the pixels immediately adjacent to that focus pixel.

0 | 0 | 0
0 | X | 0
0 | 0 | 0

Averaging in the color of the surrounding pixels will hide that focus pixel. However, focus pixels are often in diagonal pairs which means that averaging in the diagonally adjacent pixels won't work.

0 | 0 | 0
0 | X | 0
X | 0 | 0

With dual iso every pair of rows is a different iso. Why not every row? Because of the Bayer pattern of raw video.

0 | 0 | 0
0 | X | 0
X | 0 | 0

So what happens if your subject happens to have a high contrast vertical line in it that is right next to that focus pixel in the middle of this illustration?

0 | 0 | 1
0 | X | 1
X | 0 | 1

Here is an example of what happens if you average the adjacent pixels on dual iso:

As you can see, dealing with focus pixels with dual iso is challenging.

thehaxfactory

I'm sorry to ask again, but I believe my question might be getting buried.

What are the limitations of HDMI output?

I'd be interested in hooking up an EOS M to a capture card.

I had heard you can get clear output with Magic Lantern, but I've also heard there are resolution limitations.

But with everything so constantly changing and it not being talked about explicitly I've found it hard to track down definitive information.

dfort

Quote from: thehaxfactory on January 22, 2019, 06:08:24 PM
What are the limitations of HDMI output?

I'd be interested in hooking up an EOS M to a capture card.

I had heard you can get clear output with Magic Lantern, but I've also heard there are resolution limitations.

You don't really need Magic Lantern to hook up the EOSM to HDMI and get clean output (no overlays). As far as I know it doesn't put out a full HD signal. When I tried it the image had a black area around it on the screen. Another issue is that the camera LiveView goes dark, it doesn't mirror the way the 5D3 does with the later firmware updates.

@DeafEyeJedi has experience hooking up an Atmos Ninja to the EOSM so you might want to contact him about it.

Danne

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dfort on January 22, 2019, 06:18:56 PM
You don't really need Magic Lantern to hook up the EOSM to HDMI and get clean output (no overlays). As far as I know it doesn't put out a full HD signal. When I tried it the image had a black area around it on the screen. Another issue is that the camera LiveView goes dark, it doesn't mirror the way the 5D3 does with the later firmware updates.

@DeafEyeJedi has experience hooking up an Atmos Ninja to the EOSM so you might want to contact him about it.

thehaxfactory doesn't own an EOS M. ATM he is thinking about it. And intended use is streaming, thus 30 min timeout without ML is actually an issue. So he is asking about resolution (non-recording modes).

@thehaxfactory:
Quote from: dfort on January 22, 2019, 06:18:56 PMAnother issue is that the camera LiveView goes dark, it doesn't mirror the way the 5D3 does with the later firmware updates.

What dfort is trying to say: As soon as HDMI connection is used M's LCD screen goes black. You can have either cam's monitor *or* external, not both the same time. Which is btw how most ML supported cams work.

I think it would be interesting to know how M's HDMI output is doing compared to cams not hampered by mv720 (if this is an issue at all with HDMI streaming).

Walter Schulz

In other news: Recent EOS M developments covered at Slashcam.
https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Erfahrungsberichte/---2-5K--3K--4K--Die-Canon-EOS-M-als-Mini-RAW-RebelCAM-mit-Magic-Lantern.html
German only, sorry! Just took a glimpse, seems to be correct (not happening the first time, kudos!)

And now the watch is ticking for all those news aggregators to jump the bandwagon and mess it up.

Danne

At least they tested and seem to know how to use the 1x3 bining mode  8)