Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: henricusmaria on January 16, 2019, 03:56:56 AM
How does the upsampling of the 1x3 footage work in mlvapp? When I export the footage is downsampled.
MLVApp <= v1.4 downsamples by default (you can upsample by using resize option in export settings). MLVApp >1.4 (latest commits) upsample by default (but you can downsample overriding resolution in export settings).

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on January 16, 2019, 04:46:34 AM
henri you should probably ask in the mlvapp discussion this thread is for eos m. ...
Agree.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

henricusmaria

Quote from: masc on January 16, 2019, 09:54:05 AM
MLVApp <= v1.4 downsamples by default (you can upsample by using resize option in export settings). MLVApp >1.4 (latest commits) upsample by default (but you can downsample overriding resolution in export settings).
Agree.

Thanks. This was a response to Danne's post about the upsampling in the mlv app of the eos-m 1x3 footage.

loknar

Report on crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jan15.EOSM202
Unfortunately it introduces corrupted frames in all clips in both modes i used (1x3, 3K crop ).
On the plus side, there's magnified live view in 1x3 (stretched and somehow it show area of top right part from the frame) so you can alternate between framing and real time live view focusing (as it works in 2.5K mode).

Danne

What settings did you use?
I also uploaded a new 16 january build. Might work better.

ctfire

Hi.Is it possible to make Liveview in 1080mv (1736x1158) real time preview more accurate in height, to the detriment of cropping on the sides, since when shooting people, it is easier to observe cropping when a person's face is centered, not really worrying about the left and right  edges than when the bottom of the frame is not visible. I really hope that there is such an opportunity. And thank you for what you are doing.

darthivm

hmm was trying out the modes and 10bit, 2.35:1 and 2.5k with sh_card_hack_script from this build didn't really work stopped after some seconds. it used to work for me. the buffer indication sign was always red. normally it went from red to green after some seconds. my sd card is the extreme pro from sandisk with 95mb/s which used to work with this mode. did somebody experience the same problem?

somehow i feel like the sd card hack does not work anymore with the latest build?

EDIT: After deactivating the raw_twk.mo Module i get again faster writing speeds. So 2.5k works again!

kimbray

Is there any differnece on this code on eos M vs M3. I have original M running older ML code. Wondering if any benefit to going to M3. Thanks

Danne

darthivm. Thanks for telling about raw_twk conflict.

henricusmaria

Quote from: loknar on January 16, 2019, 02:00:44 PM
Report on crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jan15.EOSM202
Unfortunately it introduces corrupted frames in all clips in both modes i used (1x3, 3K crop ).
On the plus side, there's magnified live view in 1x3 (stretched and somehow it show area of top right part from the frame) so you can alternate between framing and real time live view focusing (as it works in 2.5K mode).

I also got corrupted frames in all clips in the 1x3 mode with the jan15 build. 2.5k mode works fine. 1080mv(1736x1158) still has the high shutter speed.

henricusmaria

Quote from: Danne on January 16, 2019, 02:14:28 PM

Jan16 build seems to work fine.

briwil

How are you guys getting the 1x3 to work in MLV app? Keeps coming in at 1.0x for width stretch and .33x for height stretch (yes, 1.4).
Where are you guys getting this newer version of MLV app? Surely most people here aren't building and compiling it themselves?

masc

Quote from: briwil on January 17, 2019, 07:46:13 AM
How are you guys getting the 1x3 to work in MLV app? Keeps coming in at 1.0x for width stretch and .33x for height stretch (yes, 1.4).
Where are you guys getting this newer version of MLV app? Surely most people here aren't building and compiling it themselves?
Get source code and compile. It is so easy!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

briwil

Quote from: masc on January 17, 2019, 07:53:31 AM
Get source code and compile. It is so easy!
pshhh... Yeah right-what the hell is QTCreator? How do I use MinGW?? I hate windows as it, now I have to open up Visual studio? I'm exhausted already.

masc

Quote from: briwil on January 17, 2019, 08:40:22 AM
pshhh... Yeah right-what the hell is QTCreator? How do I use MinGW?? I hate windows as it, now I have to open up Visual studio? I'm exhausted already.
QtCreator is a Development Suite which installs more or less automatically, MinGW inclusive. No need for Visual Studio, that won't work. If you hate windows you can also do that on Linux or OSX. This process is 99.9% identical.

But if you don't like to use the latest revision, you also can force resize output resolution (export settings) and stretch your 1x3 file in this way. The result will be the same.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Need testing for corrupted images, or lack from them. If you still get corrupted frames in 1x3 binning mode 2.35:1 setting try 'framing' preset in RAW video instead of Auto.

AF-OFF

Quote from: Danne on January 16, 2019, 02:14:28 PM

Hi , was previously using magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.EOSM202_mv1080p,
used those settings - see my post #1595 in this thread.

testing Danne's Jan16 build, focusing on the 2,5k preset.
- what didn't change : after starting the cam, first have to go to ML Menu and out of it again to activate RAW video. (no need for this anymore if sd-uhs script set to autorun, this will do it automatically)
- what did change : halfshutter hold to temporaly switch from realtime to framing does not work anymore only the other way round. if activated sd_uhs  either way (run or autorun script) halfshutter (switch from realtime to framing) doesn't work
either. Also there is a haze of vertical greenisch lines in the croped display on the eos-m. this will not appear in the recording.

this jan16 build seems to be more stable, in terms of corrupted frames and videos.
with the 95MB Sandisk 128GB I can record continuously with sound @ 20Frames/sec.

Anyway, Thank You Danne, keep up the good work.

Danne

Thanks.
The green haze comes of roundtrips when lowering bitrate. It's either that or a darkened liveview.
Yes, true when HalfShutter is set in clear overlays real-time setting will not work as before. Using Halfshutter set is to have a steady preview avoiding eosm to get stuck in real-time when going in and out of framing/real-time. Will have to think about it some more.
If this build is working without corruption with 1x3 binning it would be very nice.

AF-OFF

Quote from: Danne on January 17, 2019, 12:53:06 PM
Yes, true when HalfShutter is set in clear overlays real-time setting will not work as before.

hi Thank Danne for this info !
--> ML Menu / Display / Clear overlays OFF
After power up the cam next time, it turns back to --> ML Menu / Display / Clear overlays HalfShutter.

Will Do more testing with the 1x3mode later.

Danne

Yes, HalfShutter is set via the enable sd_uhs hack lua script if you use that together with the 1x3 binning mode. Once set you will have to manually change settings upon restart.
Either this step is let out and we face real time liveview stuck bugs and we remember to set Halfshutter manually if we remmeber. Or trying to fix the bug so we don´t need to enable HalfShutter at all. Checking mlv_lite it´s very hard to nail down why this happens. Could be this(mlv_lite.c):
    /* fixme: any call to raw_update_params() from another task
     * will reset the preview window (possibly during our preview)
     * resulting in some sort of flicker.
     * We'll take care of our own updates with settings_sem.
     * Raw overlays (histogram etc) seem to be well-behaved. */

EDIT:
I checked and see the lua script isn´t cheking for crop mode preset. Could add that to the scrip. Meanwhile. Erase this in the script if you want to skip automation:
      if camera.model_short == "EOSM" then
        if menu.get("Display", "Clear overlays", "") ~= "HalfShutter" then
            menu.set("Display", "Clear overlays", "HalfShutter")
           display.notify_box("enabling GD Halfshutter")
          msleep(500)
        end
      end

and...
      if camera.model_short == "EOSM" then
        if menu.get("Display", "Clear overlays", "") ~= "HalfShutter" then
            menu.set("Display", "Clear overlays", "HalfShutter")
             menu.set("RAW video", "Preview", "Framing")
           display.notify_box("enabling GD Halfshutter")
          msleep(1500)
        end
      end

EDIT:
Updated the lua script so new build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

AF-OFF

Thanks again Danne. Will check the new 1x3 mode asap.

javchz

Wow Danne this last build it's amazing, i'm getting more frames than before, Going to play with the new 1x3 mode. Thanks again :D
EOS M, t2i

briwil

Can someone help me here- so I complied the MLV app on my mac, but still same issue. When I shoot with the '1x3 1736x2150' crop mode, and my resolution set to 1504x1920, my file is still opening in MLV with Width stretch at 1.0x and height stretch at 0.33x.
I can't change width stretch to 3.0x because 2.0x is the max in the pulldown menu. I want to export my footage out as CinemaDNG.

Compiling the MLV app still shows ver 1.4, should the newer commits show a different version?

masc

@briwil: all is correct and as it shall be. Just export and you'll see. Info panel shows always the resolution of your clip. Your clip should look right in the viewer, doesn't it? What the viewer shows and MLVApp exports (by standard) is always upsampled for v1.4+.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

briwil

Quote from: masc on January 17, 2019, 08:25:14 PM
@briwil: all is correct and as it shall be. Just export and you'll see. Info panel shows always the resolution of your clip. Your clip should look right in the viewer, doesn't it? What the viewer shows and MLVApp exports (by standard) is always upsampled for v1.4+.

Ahh, got it! Confusing as hell, but got it.

Does anyone have a recommended setting/resolution for least jello with best resolution?
The 4k resolutions are giving me serious shutter roll if I move even the slightest.

Upstep

@Danne
Did some 1x3 recording testing on the Jan17 build, and so far it seems promising.
I did about 5minutes+ of video clips in good light. (13 clips in total)
- Most of the clips came out without corruption.
- Some had 1 or 2 corrupted frames. (Still usable)
- 1 clip came out with a lot of corrupted frames. (I can't figure out why, but it was fixed after restarting the camera, so it's probably nothing)
- Sometimes gives a "frame order error" when recording.
Settings I used were your preset on 1x3, 10bit, 2.35:1, sd_uhs, 100 iso, 23.98fps and Preview set to framing (as you stated it may help)

Hope this info helps.
Getting really close!