Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacquaviva

Thanks for the crop factor calculation.

I just would like to know if we can get more resolution for full sensor RAW video at 24fps.

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Seems we can get 1736x1160 in mv1080p mode rather than 1736x1120.
This seems to be the friendly match:
        case 0xC0F06804: return 0x4a601d4;
        case 0xC0F0713c: return 0x4a7;
case 0xC0F07150: return 0x499;

henricusmaria

Just wondering.. is there a big quality difference between the 10-bit and 12-bit option? I did some tests today in the 2.5k setting at lower resolution (1712x964) in order to shoot continuous in 12 bit. Here is a short clip.

https://youtu.be/_6ckNT4LAV4

I accidentally found out that when I activate movie crop mode in this setting the field of view gets a bit wider.

dfort

Looks like you'll need one of these to go along with those massive sized files:

MSRP of $499.99, Yikes!

bergamote

Hey guys! happy new year and such.
Been playing around with today's build and 2.5K preset script (and sd card overclock). The max filming time seemed really dependent on the exposure. Underexposed goes on and on, but ETTR and it stops after less than 10s. (more data i take it)
I accidentally managed to get a good shot with 1x3 mode and the result was super awesome!
Tried to get 5K going but without an automated script I tend to mostly mess up the settings and lose the live view (garbled pink stripes) and have to delete the settings folder to get anything working again.

I'm wondering, does the 2.5k-10bit-XXXiso lua script actually change the raw bitrate to 10? mlv_play shows 14 bpp.
Also, is "framing" view available in 2.5k or is it just for 1080mv?
Cheers

Upstep

I'm getting corrupted frames using 1x3 preset and sd_uhs with the latest build. (They happen here and there. "Purple glitch")
Any information I can give to help you try to solve it?
What exact settings did you @Danne use to get uncorrupted footage?

ctfire

hey, is anybody have a problem with shutterspeed in latest build. when activated crop modes can go lower than 1\60 (

bergamote

Okay, sorry for the stupid questions, answers were in the thread..
Experimented some more with the 1x3 preset and it's so cool. Only getting a couple of seconds before it crashes but boy, they're good looking seconds!
@ctfire yeah, the shutter speed was a bit weird for me too, it seems to randomly set itself to 1/35 or 1/80 when changing presets. How many fps are you shooting at?

henricusmaria

Quote from: ctfire on January 12, 2019, 08:51:29 PM
hey, is anybody have a problem with shutterspeed in latest build. when activated crop modes can go lower than 1\60 (

Yes, the normal mv1080p cropmode changes the shutter speed to 1/390 (!)
The rest of the modes work normal.

Danne

Thanks for feedback guys.
@bergamote
The lua scripts were originally created when I wanted to ge tinto fast action using the sd_uhs module. But I never used them with crop_rec presets enabled.
@ Upstep
For now, try lowering resolution a bit. Trying to find sweet spot not getting corruption. Seems 24fps is on the borderline on highest resolution
@henricusmaria
Will try and reproduce. Shutter speeds reported with global draw on is probably wrong as well, especially on x5zoom. Think it´s related to shutter blanking.
12bit is better and very close to 14bit in quality. 10bit will work most of the time imo.

jacquaviva

@12georgiadis

Here is my setup, E mount ring screwed (lucky that two holes fit), plastic ring with electronic contact for lenses removed to make some space for the filter. Just used two small plastic pieces, glued them and screw the filter on them.

Just to mention, when removing plastic and lens contact ring, you can't take pictures anymore (Err 20) you just can use movie mode.

henricusmaria

Quote from: Danne on January 13, 2019, 11:00:03 AM
Thanks for feedback guys.

@henricusmaria
12bit is better and very close to 14bit in quality. 10bit will work most of the time imo.

Thanks Danne.
I will do some tests in 12 bit and 14 bit. Is there a difference in image quality between the movie crop mode and the x5 zoom mode? The crop in the movie crop mode is workable, the 5x zoom is a bit much for me.

optical-work

For more accurate shutter speed, set shutter range under crop mode sub menu to "full range" and use "high jello" or "low light" under fps override sub menu for mv1080 (exact fps looks okay with 2.5k). I thought change of shutter speed, when you change preset, is related to the sensor area that is scanned. Isn't it true?

12georgiadis

Quote from: jacquaviva on January 13, 2019, 01:32:42 PM
@12georgiadis

Here is my setup, E mount ring screwed (lucky that two holes fit), plastic ring with electronic contact for lenses removed to make some space for the filter. Just used two small plastic pieces, glued them and screw the filter on them.

Just to mention, when removing plastic and lens contact ring, you can't take pictures anymore (Err 20) you just can use movie mode.

Thank you ! I think I prefer to adapt my 7D-vaf to 100D than to damage/restrict Eos-m usage but in the same time, I'm happy that with some Diy adjustment it works well !

loknar

@danne So i took 1x3 mode for a spin, but now i face kinda problem with processing, i used dual iso and would like to get 1704x72X output, but when i export it from MLVApp i get 5120x2184 files, i wasn't able to find any place where there is this setting, in MLVApp there's normaltransofrmation: Width 1.0x, Height 0.33x, in file metadata there's 1704x2184, so where the 3x1704X2184 comes from?
Other than that it works excellent and i think i'll have some nice shots once i solve export (right now, only think i can do, is to force resolution back down during export, but that seems as bad solution)

masc

Quote from: loknar on January 14, 2019, 03:25:08 PM
@danne So i took 1x3 mode for a spin, but now i face kinda problem with processing, i used dual iso and would like to get 1704x72X output, but when i export it from MLVApp i get 5120x2184 files, i wasn't able to find any place where there is this setting, in MLVApp there's normaltransofrmation: Width 1.0x, Height 0.33x, in file metadata there's 1704x2184, so where the 3x1704X2184 comes from?
Other than that it works excellent and i think i'll have some nice shots once i solve export (right now, only think i can do, is to force resolution back down during export, but that seems as bad solution)
0.33x height stretch is now updated (v1.4+) : it will do what you describe: width = width * 3; height = height. We did that to have maximum resolution. If you want to have it smaller, you could use resize function from export settings dialog (ffmpeg export only).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

loknar

Thank you for reply, but wouldn't be better to include multiplication in drop-down dialogue? This is a bit counterintuitive and also in my case slower, first upscale, then downscale, and i also kinda fear of introducing some artifacts created from interpolation (and there's lot of them in upscaled frame).

masc

Quote from: loknar on January 14, 2019, 03:52:34 PM
Thank you for reply, but wouldn't be better to include multiplication in drop-down dialogue? This is a bit counterintuitive and also in my case slower, first upscale, then downscale, and i also kinda fear of introducing some artifacts created from interpolation (and there's lot of them in upscaled frame).
It is not really counterintuitive: no matter which factor is selected, it is always stretched to a bigger size. Only 0.33 became smaller before and behaves the same now. Rescaling speed is identical, if you override it with the smaller resolution, because resizing is done just once. It also won't introduce any artefacts. You just loose 66.6% of quality when downsampling.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

There´s no interpolation when upsampling @loknar.
Could be an option to manually set the sampling downward instead but I think default should be upsampled like it is now. However, with more options comes more confusion  :P

loknar

OK, thank you both, i'm going to do the exports.

loknar

Also, I don't know what beasts of a computer you have, but mine isn't built for processing 24 of 11Mpx frames per second  :o.

masc

Quote from: loknar on January 14, 2019, 04:07:59 PM
Also, I don't know what beasts of a computer you have, but mine isn't built for processing 24 of 11Mpx frames per second  :o.
...9 years old Core2Duo... LOL. When we introduced we thought: downscaling is never an issue, but upscaling (after quality is lost) is. So, if the resolution is to big, feel free to reduce it.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

loknar

You are clearly very patient :).
I agree with you in general, but in this case X axis is interpolated, so no information lost if no interpolation is done, Y axis is reduced, but given that i'm using dual iso, which (if i remember correctly) decreases vertical resolution by half. So yes, i'm losing some information (33 % on one axis?), but not that much and i'm not quite sure what to do with it anyway.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

I focused on getting rid of corrupted images in 1x3 binning mode. And also to complete a set up that will record all the presets continuously when a certain set up is performed. To enable continuous recordings do following:
sd_uhs hack on
bitrate to 10bit
ratios set to 2.35:1
(will scale down or reduce bitrate depending on preset chosen)

For instance. 1x3 1736x2150 will be set to 1504x1920 when ratios 2.35:1 is set. Still a stellar file since upsampled in Mlv App you will export a file that´s 4512x1920 in size.
3k will run with reduced fps and so will 5k setting. Most other presets will still keep original frame rate. All presets will record with 2.35:1.
If you want full manual control just skip the 2.35:1 ratios setting and do whatever tweaks in other menus instead.

Enjoy and don´t forget to post what´s working or not...

bergamote

Oh boy this is exciting! This afternoon I managed to get a bit more than 200 frames in the 1x3 mode at 10bit/20fps and came to the conclusion this is the best image quality (without mad crop). Now a new build with a way to do continuous 1x3!!! Man, you rock! Trying this stray away.