Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Probably not from what you are reporting. I have not tested raw_twk with sd_uhs module so if it interferes just turn it off.

Neilaxe

Hello!

New here. I need a bit of advice. I installed one of the experimental ones for the Firmware 2.0.3. After having a bit of play around with the software, I realized that I don't know how to use it is so I formatted the card again on the camera to remove ML in it and use the camera as it was. It did sure remove the ML software however left some issue that  I couldn't fix.

The issue is that the shutter button won't let me take still pictures anymore or let me start recording. (Good thing the dedicated record button is still working.)

I already tried to reinstall the firmware 2.0.3 straight from canon's website but it still did not fix the issue. So at the moment my EOS M can only take videos and not still pictures.

Anybody here who can help and knows how I can get back the shutter function? If not possible, maybe where I can get the firmware version 2.0.2 as download? I'm keen to give ML another try but I want to downgrade the firmware first.

Thank you!

Teamsleepkid

absolute mad lad! i tried it with tweak on last night seemed to work fine. need to test more though it was absolutely pitch black in my room when i tested so i only saw noise. did seem like there was more pixels in there though. thanks danne
EOS M

Danne

More mad stuff  8)

Updated with another crop_rec preset:
mv1080p 1736x976 45fps
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Please test it out. tweaked until it seemed corruption free. It should also work to reduce to let´s say 42 fps or lower with fps override.

Teamsleepkid

ok i tried the 3k in daylight and it only recorded for a few seconds before crashing. i put on sd card overclock as well. also i changed white balance and iso.  how to get continuous recording? lots of detail my god. basically looks like film now. holy crap.
EOS M

Teamsleepkid

somehow managed to record 27 seconds but without preview by turning on and off then on again sd card overclocking. preview goes wonky but continues to record.
EOS M

Danne

For usabilty sake I added a 2.35:1 preset from within the crop_rec submenu. It will apply to the first four presets in crop_rec menu. Mainly I do this roundtrip because setting the 2.35:1 from regular RAW video menu will crop differently with mv1080p mode.

Download here:

loknar

Quote from: Danne on December 21, 2018, 03:51:14 PM
For usabilty sake I added a 2.35:1 preset from within the crop_rec submenu. It will apply to the first four presets in crop_rec menu. Mainly I do this roundtrip because setting the 2.35:1 from regular RAW video menu will crop differently with mv1080p mode.

Download here:

You are like daily Santa Claus :)

3K with 2.35 aspect works. I'm getting  ~2 seconds with liveview, ~4 seconds without it (card write speed is 58 MB/s with SD overclock).
This mode is my new favourite :).

mv1080@45 fps works too, longer shots than I am willing to wait, I almost hear DualISO in mv1080  knocking.

Danne

Great. A few more sec if you set it to 10bit?

loknar

Quick test
(frames)
LV on/LV Off
12-bit 43/64
10-bit  59/85
9-bit  67/100
All usable.

But card used to be a bit faster, maybe i'll try low level format.

LinX

Hi guys.
I got some trouble. Once i use lossless dataformat no matter in 12bit or 14bit, my clips will corrupt. But in umcompress is fine...
Pictures how it goes downbellow.
And i'm with magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.EOSM202..

ctfire

Hey, is it any chance to get smooth liveview in mv1080 mode at 24p ?

Danne

Danne

What about reading?
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg209067#msg209067

Please use search field or read through the eosm thread regarding mv1080p.

Uploaded a new build which will reduce fps to 19 and set 3K preset to 3008x1280 when 2.35:1 preset is used from crop_rec sub menu. Reason: to be able to record continous in this 3k mode and have fast acces to it. If wanting full blown 24 fps simply unset the 2.35:1 preset in sub menu...

liuk718

Hi,Danne,is the 1920x1080 45fps 1x1 crop mode possible?

burtie

Hi!
Is it possible to use ML on a Canon EOS M10?
BeEn searching for some time. Thanks for any help.

Burtie

Blop_da_pop

Hi, I'm new here, but been using my eos m for a few years, but only just updated the firmware, but couldn't find 2.0.2 anywhere, so I updated to 2.0.3. My question is: is it pos. to get a version of Magic Lantern in this firmware, and/or is there a version of 2.0.2 out there I can download? I haven't found either as yet. Cheers folks.

koenkooi

Quote from: burtie on December 25, 2018, 04:20:37 PM
Hi!
BeEn searching for some time. Thanks for any help.

Burtie

Short answer: No, you can not. The M10 runs powershot firmware, not EOS firmware. The M1, M2 and M50 run an EOS firmware, the M3, M10, M5, M6 and M100 are all powershot based.
EOS-M
EOS 7D
EOS 100D 100D.100B

dfort

Quote from: burtie on December 25, 2018, 04:20:37 PM

@koenkooi answered but I'll just add that the M10 is supported on the CHDK project.

Quote from: Blop_da_pop on December 26, 2018, 02:47:34 AM
...I updated to 2.0.3. My question is: is it pos. to get a version of Magic Lantern in this firmware, and/or is there a version of 2.0.2 out there I can download?

Yes for both.

I ported ML to the EOSM.203 firmware and test builds are available on my downloads page. Also there you can find a package called EOSM Canon Firmware for Testers.zip that contains both Canon 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 firmware updaters.

Padwoof

Quote from: dfort on December 26, 2018, 08:57:03 AM
@koenkooi answered but I'll just add that the M10 is supported on the CHDK project.

Yes for both.

I ported ML to the EOSM.203 firmware and test builds are available on my downloads page. Also there you can find a package called EOSM Canon Firmware for Testers.zip that contains both Canon 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 firmware updaters.

I wonder if you can help me, I'm getting a little lost trying to find an solution to my issue, My father has tasked me with installing Magic Lantern on his older EOS M (he has an M10 and is not concerned if I brick the M in the attempt) and I'm coming across the same issue repeatedly, the M is on Firmware 2.0.3, if I try to rollback the firmware to 2.0.2 the camera won't let me, I can get as far as launching the firmware update program on the camera itself, but after selecting the version that I wish to install (2.0.2) it asks me to confirm the firmware update however the 'ok' option is greyed out and cannot be selected for some reason it seems the ability to rollback the firmware has been locked out.

After getting nowhere trying to find a solution to this I decided to go the alternative route of trying to find a ML version thats compatible with 2.0.3 and came across this forum thread, I've downloaded your experiemental build dfort and loaded it onto the sd card, placed the card back in the camera, and gone through the same process to launch the firmware update program, when it immidately states that it cannot find any firmware update files.

Am I being incredibly dense/blind and missing something, has anyone else come across this issue and found a resolution? any help would be appreciated.

Blop_da_pop

Has anyone had a problem with messages of code appearing while filming: 'Corruption at slot 42, frames...etc?
Cheers

dfort

Those are error messages. It would help if you could give some more information. Which build (experimental or Nightly?), what card are you using, settings, do it save a log file, etc. Photos of the LiveView screen also help us understand what is going on.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @Danne for your builds. Will def get my hands dirty with these new presets and report back!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

Test away @deafeyejedi :).
Updated with Movie crop mode able to run 42 fps from fps override. I also reduced resolution some to stay coherent with 1736x976(16x9).
On a sidenote I actually had my first soft brick ever on a cam. it happened as I was foolishly forcing registry to be set while in mv720p 50fps when enabling Movie crop mode. To be able to do this I had to surpass a few places in code so not really safe. Anyway. Thanks to a1ex both logs and fix was produced and within the hour all was working nicely again. The procedure to fix it was nothing but amazing.