Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on February 03, 2019, 08:12:55 AM
Please upload sample mlv files. Mixing bits from raw video setting which that script is adding and then adding 10bit in crop rec submenu won't work with most presets but unclear what you did.

Curious to see a sample as well.

Quote from: Danne on February 03, 2019, 08:12:55 AM
It could even be that you changed iso from 100 to 400 that clears the issue since it seems the pink issue happens on iso 100.

That's a good possibility.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

gravitatemediagroup

The pink highlights have vanished, buuuut I was successful in recording 555 frames of 2.5k.  Keep up the good work!

Danne

Nothing changed regarding white level in later builds. Pink fix still needs attention and testing.

masc

I did not understand yet, why in different clips I have to set different white levels to eliminate the pink. I would expect an equal value for equal settings.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dfort

Quote from: the_real_bill_jones on February 02, 2019, 09:38:56 PM
...I've been thinking about purchasing the eos m to use in crop mode with c mount lenses for a long time, but the wonky live view always deterred me....

Using C-mount lenses on the EOSM has been discussed several times on the forum. If you use Movie crop mode you'll get real time, correctly framed LiveView. The wonky LiveView is happening with the experimental high resolution crop_rec module settings that can use the entire sensor area. So--if you think about it, many C-mount lenses won't cover the entire APS-C sensor so you can't use them with these experimental settings unless this is what you're after:

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: Danne on February 04, 2019, 11:09:11 AM
Nothing changed regarding white level in later builds. Pink fix still needs attention and testing.

I didn't think it had, so I'm guessing I had settings overlapping that was creating the issue, when I tried to recreate it last night I couldn't.  I'm just happy with how fast the stability is improving.

Danne

New upload:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Cleaned out scripts, kept two. One is new. "eosm cinema 2:35.1". The script will through lua add all necessary parameters to get into anamorphic 4.5K preset. Once the script has finished you can use any of the crop rec presets and they will all run in 2:35.1 and continuous. A fast sd card will be needed. The script also enables the sd_uhs script "sd overclock engine" and sets it to auto. The script is good as starting point instead of fiddling around for 10 minutes before getting into filming.
Why 2:35.1? Easy. Eosm has it´s limitations and restriction and this ratio seems like sweet spot for most presets on this cam.

- The other feature(also added though "eosm cinema 2:35.1" script) is "Crop rec preview" in mlv_lite menu. Once this is set to auto mode The crop rec presets will work either with framing or real time preview depending on what works better. Reason for this is that it takes a little too long to switch both preset and preview mode for every preset changed. Watch out. This auto mode setting overrides any Preview mode setting aready set from before. Disable auto mode when not in use.
All modes and settings can of course be set manually without the scripts.

All of this is of course experimental, bleeding edge and out here for tests and feedback. As always thanks to a1ex, g3gg0, dmilligan for code and lua api.

javchz

Amazing build. Trying with a 4K monitor and it's unbelievable that it's anamorphic and not native 4K. Amazing work. thanks so much
EOS M, t2i

Danne

Great. Hopefully useful now. I tend to use 4.5k anamorphic and 48fps mostly atm.

gravitatemediagroup

Some quick shots from yesterday, nothing scientific, just random lighting situations,motion cadence, and sound.  There is some stabilization on a couple clips, so if you see any quick jitters, it's more than likely stabilization, the Jeep logo shot for sure has a slight bounce.  If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.
(A majority of this footage was shot with the 2nd newest build, not the updated scripts build)
https://youtu.be/_Yh6A5sVZ64

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Added x3 zoom mode through a set switch in the crop mode sub menu. Will work for mv1080p + the mv1080p 46/48 fps presets. Good for close ups. Stays coherent with ratio modes also set from crop rec sub menu:

I excluded 3x1 4k, 5k presets. Too much aliasing.

AF-OFF

made some quick tests and it looks very good.
in mv1080p 44.959fps one damaged frame (16:9)

all other modes I've tested were without frame corruption.

I've tested the 2.35:1 and 16:9 presets.

the 2,5k mode is now somehow locked to 2.35:1, but I don't have to fps override to 19-20 fps anymore.

all recordings with sound and GD off (to be able to see the write speed)

did not test the 3 & 4k modes. and the new 3x-crop

5k mode without problems

Best thanks to Danne and others.

Danne

19 fps is for 3k 2.35:1.
2.5k is static 2.35:1 when set in sub menu otherwise not.
Corrupted frames to be expected here and there if not in 2.35:1 ratio.
Thanks for testing.

DeafEyeJedi

You know something funny... after years, I mean YEARS of not really taking a deep dive into LUA scripting and boy as soon as I installed @Danne's latest crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Feb07.EOSM202 build, THEN after loading all the Modules respectfully... and BOOM!

Lord & behold I first just simply go to the LUA submenu from within ML menu, enable both sd_overclock and the ratio 2.35:1 scripting magic. Honestly, that was just so beautiful to witness the work of yours, @Danne, governing thru my camera and I totally felt your presence right there. Just like Aliens, ain't that right @70MM13?  :D

After about 10 seconds or so is when it should all be enabled automagically and thus ready to shoot w/o the need to manually enable anything on under Movie submenu from within ML's menu.. I mean WOW.. what more can you ask for from LUA? Ha.

Never seen anything as good as in ISO 3200 (even @ f2.8 which is a tad slow) and better yet in 4.5K is nothing short of absolutely ridiculous stunning images especially coming from this particular cam. Dual-ISO is indeed pretty gnarly to the very least!  8)

I've encountered something odd though (maybe you guys are already aware) but notice if one constantly goes into half shutter for to check real preview/focus while recording which then can get stuck into the real Live Preview after like 4th or 5th time (tho cropped slightly off center upward) and while it doesn't effect the footage. Well other than some of the corrupted frames -- not sure if it's related as I'll have to investigate further.

However, if you're more cautious and only use it like twice or maybe three times to check focus while recording per MLV takes which should help reduce the chances of getting stuck forcing you to turn off/on cam (Canon menu or ML menu in/out doesn't seem to do the trick for this). Just something to point out before I forget.  ::)

As far as corruption-free footage... I would say it's about 70-80% more or less corruption free for me (see video below) while only shooting in 4.5K ANAMORPHIC @ 2.35:1 in 23.98p and is probably most likely due to my SD card being close to full from earlier tests (forgot to format card).

I even went ahead and deleted a bunch of files from within File Manager in ML (good thing we have this ability just imagine while we're out on set w no computers). Anyway, just felt the need of writing this up before I pass out in bed with these thoughts without sharing.  :P

Can't wait to get my hands dirty on this tiny beast for some more in depth testings (Got few ideas of how to show which way is it cropped slightly off center per certain settings as I suspect some if not all seems to be different from one another)... Hopefully this weekend and Thank You, @Danne!

Danne

gravitatemediagroup

If anybody cares, I've created a Facebook group dedicated to "MLV RAW ON EOS M"
https://m.facebook.com/groups/375018026655820?ref=share

Build masters and original ML pioneers get automatic admin status. ;)

Danne

Great @gravitatemediagroup
Put up some videos in there :).

@deafeyejedi
Didn´t see the video before but it looks really cool. No aliasing, pretty amazing. A little worried about the pink frames you are getting. I have been using the anamorphic 2.35:1 mode for a longer period and couldn´t get any corrupted images. Well maybe one or two. Really shitty issue. Would be such a relief to fix that completely.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on February 09, 2019, 10:25:20 AM@deafeyejedi
Didn´t see the video before but it looks really cool. No aliasing, pretty amazing.
Thanks! Had to post it for others to understand where we are coming from. Heh.

Also test shot some more extremely low night scenes earlier tonight in Dual-ISO and I'm really surprised w how clean the shadows can be even when pushing the exposure level up to +3.00 or +4.00 within MLV App while pulling down the highlights w ease.

I wonder if the ISO-gain experimental builds from you is what makes it look cleaner or have I been smoking' the wrong reef? How do we go about to ISO 109? Ha.

Quote from: Danne on February 09, 2019, 10:25:20 AM
A little worried about the pink frames you are getting. I have been using the anamorphic 2.35:1 mode for a longer period and couldn´t get any corrupted images. Well maybe one or two. Really shitty issue. Would be such a relief to fix that completely.

Ya it may be shitty but again it's not exactly a deal breaker. Seems doable. Not every take has corrupted pink images. I'm hoping this could very well lead us to a pattern and eventually we'll find a way fix this.

Lemme try some more this weekend w few fast SD cards (280 Mb/s) I know I know it's a bit overkill but it wouldn't hurt, right? :)

70MM13

That's some pretty ace video...  The initial closeup of the cat was stunning.
What's with this miraculous camera?  Who needs a 5d3?  :P

It's getting hard to keep up with all the progress lately!

Exciting times...  Keep up the great work everyone!

gravitatemediagroup

Anybody getting vertical lines in newest or 2nd newest build or is it more user error on my part?

😂

OlRivrRat

@DEJedi

Nice Vid', Great Cat. Have You tried any ML on SL1/100D lately? Please post on SL1 thread.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

masc

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on February 10, 2019, 06:44:04 PM
Anybody getting vertical lines in newest or 2nd newest build or is it more user error on my part?

😂
I get those lines especially when overriding Danne's presets with fps=25.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Overriding fps is problematic when statically set. What you could do if you only want to push it from 24 to 25 you can decrease reg_6014 until it reaches 25 fps.
Otherwise those lines will appear when bitrate is lowered and liveview register is compensated to increase brightness. All is done though round tripping. At least the footage comes out ok looking...

Jonit

Something to share with you guys... Here I've put together some of the shots from the wedding filming I did for my friend. It's nuts how good the video looks, I'm really happy with the result, even tho it's sometimes a little difficult to focus some of the shots.
And that slow-mo in RAW, that's a dream coming truhe, heh  :o ;D

Outstanding work Danne and others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGqWAHuebtk

(link to original file is in the video description if anyone wants to download)