Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

henricusmaria

Quote from: Danne on September 04, 2019, 07:18:52 AM
I´d say it´s light flicker.

Could be. Maybe because I shot in 1/48 fps? But the 4K ana rewired didn't exhibit the flicker with the same settings.
Anyway, I just left on a journey through China. And the Eosm will do a big part of the video capturing!

ZEEK

The flicker is 100% caused by fine-tuning to 1/48fps. 1/50 is always fine. I believe there is flickering in 1/48 perhaps becuase if you go into the Canon Menu, Movie Mode FPS is automatically set to 25fps.
EOS M

henricusmaria

Quote from: ZEEK on September 04, 2019, 01:40:19 PM
The flicker is 100% caused by fine-tuning to 1/48fps. 1/50 is always fine. I believe there is flickering in 1/48 perhaps becuase if you go into the Canon Menu, Movie Mode FPS is automatically set to 25fps.

Thanks Zeek, I came to the same conclusion. Should have known better..

liuk718

Quote from: Danne on September 04, 2019, 07:18:52 AM
I´d say it´s light flicker.

Hi Danne,i was tested new build 02/09 today,please add 2.5k 1x1 centered mode back,so i can shot 2.5k 2.35:1 in 32FPS

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- x5 zoom centered added back. Only reachable from regular preset menu, not from the startoff preset list(tap display)
- Added a focus aid option called "sticky push". It´s under customized buttons. Works as follows:
Push halfshutter until x10 zoom is reached. Release button and x10 zoom is still on. Push halfshutter again and it goes back to normal preview.
On a sidenote I also added a function so that if tapping display while in x10 mode you will be able to reach three different presets here. Or you can be in x10 zoom and push SET button and this will let you reach different 3k, 4k presets.

rinski

Good, please know if you can record more than 47 mbs with the sd .
Thank you

mix_vfx

Ok, this is great : )

Sept 04 build.

Still with External monitor, with Preview set to Frozen LV, 4K Anamorphic Rewired works very good. Preview is still cropped, like mentioned earlier, but live, and gives no corrupt frame (yet). Playback works as well.

All bit modes work, only thing is 12, and 10 bits give quite dark preview, with greenish tint.

AF-OFF

Great Work Danne, keep it up

I've an issue with Dual Iso in viedo mode
file here - link will expire after one week from now, also notice the X
httpx://we.tl/t-pDRW1htNPh
it consist of a mlv-dualiso video and the corresponding MLV APP receipt, version 1.7

August 30 version

as Zeek mentioned, there are changes going on in reported framerates from canon menu. in my case, on NTSC preset have without card the canon setting at 24FPS, but with Danne's build it it's changed to 30fps. Maybe Zeek is Pal and did set from there 24FPS (which by the way seems strange in it self to me)

best

AF-OFF

in Sept 04 build, the sticky function of 10x zooms works great, unless you hit record while in that mode
please try to reproduce
mv1080 rew., ratio-off

many thanks to Danne Jip-Jop and macs and others!

liuk718

Quote from: Danne on September 04, 2019, 03:19:10 PM
New build:

- x5 zoom centered added back. Only reachable from regular preset menu, not from the startoff preset list(tap display)
- Added a focus aid option called "sticky push". It´s under customized buttons. Works as follows:
Push halfshutter until x10 zoom is reached. Release button and x10 zoom is still on. Push halfshutter again and it goes back to normal preview.
On a sidenote I also added a function so that if tapping display while in x10 mode you will be able to reach three different presets here. Or you can be in x10 zoom and push SET button and this will let you reach different 3k, 4k presets.

New build works well,very appreciate for that!

Danne

New build:

Quote from: AF-OFF on September 05, 2019, 02:13:26 AM
in Sept 04 build, the sticky function of 10x zooms works great, unless you hit record while in that mode
Fixed.

@AF-OFF
About your dualiso issues. I have no idea what you are talking about.

DeafEyeJedi

@AF-OFF — if you don't mind me asking would you please elaborate on what do you mean by having issues w Dual-ISO?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

AF-OFF

@Danne & DeeafEyeJedi
did you look at my MLV file?
-its full with weird focuspixels, which dont go away even with 3x3 smothing
-colour changes / shifting
hard to describe, therefore the sample mlv file, please check it, link in my previous post
thanks

Danne

Nothing related to firmware. Post production tools.
You mention framerates, what's wrong with those?

New build up: bugfixes not related to above though.

AF-OFF

ok will try the same dualiso test with your new build and use MLV APP 1.8.
regarding the framerate - this was related to the Zeek post, its the framerate which is set in CANON menu - you choose either Pal or ntsc, for example if you have ntsc there (CANON menu) you can choose 30p or 24p.
will report later

AF-OFF

Quote from: Danne on September 05, 2019, 02:50:14 PM
Nothing related to firmware. Post production tools.

just checked dualiso video files with MLV APP 1.8 - then everything looks like it should be. Checked again with 1.7 version and there seems to lay the problem, cannot remove there any of the focus pixels

couldn't reproduce the colorshifting in the Sept 05 build.
the 10x zoom now works as one would expect, thanks Danne!

finaly did update the laptop with MLV APP 1.8 and the pixelmaps from dfort

Apologies for the false alarm!

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: Veerle on September 05, 2019, 04:57:04 PM
A few suggestions for EOS M (and ML in general)

There is undoubtedly a big difference in experience between ML users (in terms of technical knowledge and/or years of usage), which is why I would suggest the following (for both ease of use, and to try and avoid getting the same questions again and again):

Startup modes
If technically possible (and I would assume so), I would suggest creating 'startup modes'. Three perhaps:

• Simple
  • Intermediate
  • Advanced
These would basically be pre-set customised menus (with default set at simple).
Simple = would show as little as possible: main feature being the presets scripts, some photo options (bracketing for example) etc.
(Makes ML easier to use, and avoids changes that cause issues..)
Intermediate = would obviously show more features. To be discussed...
Advanced = would show everything.
(+ The build zip files should perhaps include a small 'install & how to' txt/pdf file to ensure the canon menu is set the right way).

maybe in an alternative build, but I wouldn't want this extra stuff in a main build

2blackbar

Its fine as is, pleasing lazy users who dont want to learn what all functions do should not be the aim of development IMO, shortcuts to work faster are fine but simply hiding some options and functions in 3 different modes is a waste of developers time.
Anyway how i can change raw to be uncompressed instead of lossless? Cant find it anywhere anymore.

ZEEK

Quote from: 2blackbar on September 06, 2019, 12:58:09 AM
Anyway how i can change raw to be uncompressed instead of lossless? Cant find it anywhere anymore.

I believe the reason why the uncompressed Raw modes were removed is because there wasn't a visible difference between uncompressed and the lossless counterparts. The older builds will have uncompressed Raw, otherwise Danne I believe can add it. Don't think they're worth it though. I did comparisons between them a while ago but could not find a difference except that lossless had better record time.
EOS M

Danne

Yes, uncompressed option removed.  Lossless is key to get continuous on eos m. There was also lossless options in RAW video menu but this was confusing to say the least since I do my workaround stuff added on top of solely 14bit lossless.

Other suggestions. Always welcome but not always useful.

My main intent was and is to treat eosm as a 2.39:1 cinematic tool. This ratio is more or less working corruptionfree on all presets. So logically to me I start out in this ratio. Using tap display presets I can switch real quick between the most useful movie presets without doing anything else after selection. I often mix these presets and in the end I just throw them in mlv app and export them in same resolution. Done. Will this style of shooting fit everyone? Hardly  :P. But still. Most settings can be tweaked to fit most users so I don't really see the issue here.

Jip-Hop

Quote from: Veerle on September 05, 2019, 04:57:04 PM

Presets
These have already been introduced but I would suggest different (simple) names perhaps? Like:
- 1080 HD (16:9)
- 1080 HD 48fps...
- 1080 Wide (2:1)
- 2.5K ??
etc..

I think you have some good suggestions. One of the first things I did when working on the menu, is experiment with more universal preset names (what it does, instead of how it does it from a ML implementation perspective). I still think it could be nice, but after some talks with Danne I'm also fine with the names as they are right. At least now they're consistent across both preset sections.

Quote from: Veerle on September 05, 2019, 04:57:04 PMAnd why is the "mv1080p MCM rewire" widescreen? Why does the "Mv1080 1736x976" have a ratio of 2.39:1? (though it doesn't show). Why are the start off presets different from the regular presets?..

The start off presets have their settings maximised while still allowing continuous recording. It's supposed to be an easy, no fuss way, of getting all the settings right (upper limit) for a specific recording mode (preset) without having to worry about which combinations of settings would still allow continuous recording. Therefore the "mv1080p MCM rewire" is widescreen and 14 bit. It can still record continuous at those settings. But in 2.5k or anamorphic 14 bit 16:9 won't get you much time at all, so it's defaults to lower bitrate and narrower ratio. Of course you can still drop the bitrate or make the ratio in "mv1080p MCM rewire" wider after applying the preset, but it's supposed to be a sensible default 'base'.

We're working on making the menu better, but I think we must embrace the fact that there'll always be questions, no matter how we make the menu. I don't think we should make different startup modes for Simple, Intermediate and Advanced usage. I think ML users are curious people. So if it defaults to a 'Simple' mode, people want to see what's possible in 'Intermediate' or 'Advanced' and will have questions. Also it will be a lot of work to make this, and I don't think it will result in more clarity and less questions.

What did help me a lot when just starting out with ML on EOS M are the video's from ZEEK! Even better than PDF documentation if you ask me :)

Veerle, you could if you like take a look at the Cine.lua script from Danne. It's actually very easy to make a couple of scripts with custom presets and naming like you suggest.