Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

@Jip-Hop

No, you are right. You can only do the long press trick on certain keys.

That's why sometimes I also use two keys, ie

Key1 followed by Key1 = normal Key1

Key1 followed by Key2 = modified Key2

Key2 followed by Key2 = normal Key2

Key1 followed by Keyn, but not (Key1 or Key2) = Keyn

garry23

Plus

You can use pseudo long presses by detecting a key press of key1, say, and starting a timer, then test the timer if key1 pressed next, say x seconds later.

I've used this approach as well, but you need to use shoot_task event as well.

Jip-Hop

Thanks for the tips garry23! Will keep it in mind when I continue to work on my script.

Having used the EOS M for a bit now, I'm super excited about it :)
But I also got a couple of things I wish it had.

I'd like to be able to switch easily between various RAW recording modes.
Have some modes preconfigured so I can easily toggle between e.g. mv1080 MCM rewire 14bit with 3x crop and 4k anamorphic 10bit.
Or toggle between 2.5k and mv1080 MCM rewire 3x crop.
This could also help with focus before recording since the preview in 2.5k and anamorphic is not great.
And then just toggle and hit record.
I hope I can make this possible with a LUA script and will look into it next week.

Other things I wish it had are:
- Working auto white balance in RAW recording. Currently it doesn't log the actual measured white balance (kelvin, tint/shift). I don't know anything about how WB works, but I feel like this should be possible. To me this thread from 2013 seems relevant: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6779.0.
- A button which auto sets exposure (ettr) in shutter speed priority mode. So leave the shutter speed alone, but adjust aperture first and if necessary ISO.
- Better live view for 2.5k and anamorphic modes, but this is probably only possible in my dreams :P
- Full time manual focus, with the possibility to autofocus by pressing a button. The default Canon behaviour is either no autofocus, or very limited manual focus (MF only after AF while keeping half shutter pressed). I guess this could be easily fixed with LUA too, just leave focus set to manual in Canon menu and map half shutter press to autofocus with LUA.

Danne do you have any plans for the camera you wish to share?
What do others feel like could be added/removed/improved?

Magic Lantern is really awesome stuff :) thanks devs and contributors!

ZEEK

It's a shame the EOS M2 doesn't receive much attention as the EOS M. I just played around with the M2 files on MLV APP and I can recover highlights much better than I can with the EOS M. I just turned a white sky into a blue sky simply by pulling down the highlights in mlv app and it didn't turn pink as it would sometimes with the EOS M. The image quality is obviously the same, just the M2 lacks the EOS M resolution. If it had the proper resolution/modes, I would pick the M2 any day of the week. It's got Wi-fi, slightly better low light, slightly better AF, Better DR (11.2 M VS 11.4 M2). Guess most are just focusing on the dream cameras, M50, 7DII, EOS R. Bought an M50 by the way just for future proof Magic Lantern (before the price rises you know ;))
EOS M

Jip-Hop

ZEEK

Quote from: Jip-Hop on July 05, 2019, 07:36:30 AM
I also invested in an M50 xD

Nice one! The future looks bright ahead... 8)
EOS M

Naviddabest

I have just bought a Samsung Evo plus 128gb the faster version and I want to benchmark it in camera. But I don't have the benchmark module using danne build.

dfort

Quote from: ZEEK on July 05, 2019, 02:08:16 AM
It's a shame the EOS M2 doesn't receive much attention as the EOS M.

There aren't as many M2's as there are original M's. It was only distributed to a few territories when it first came out.

I thought this would be a good camera for a first crack at porting ML but if you go through the EOSM2 topic you'll see it wasn't that easy and it isn't quite there yet. A couple of others guys messed around with M2's and Danne tried adding some of his EOSM settings to the M2. We do have it running on Danne's experimental branch though it isn't completely integrated yet.

If you want a challenge by all means get an M2 and see if you can figure out how to shake out the last few bugs and get this camera onto the main repository.

ZEEK

Quote from: dfort on July 05, 2019, 11:17:22 PM
See if you can figure out how to shake out the last few bugs and get this camera onto the main repository.

Yeah I have an EOS M2 in my hands. I'm no scientist, but I'll see what I can do. 📽
EOS M

dfort

Cool. I've got some test builds on my downloads page. A few features are working fine but others are quite broken. Give it a test drive and report back on the EOSM2 topic.

ZEEK

EOS M

marcelo.lippi

Hi Danne and other friends. I uploaded the July 5th version after a few weeks of stopped shooting and I can't get to the bottom of a myriad of bugs, display errors, when I try to see a timelapse it freezes and then open error 07 sign, solution so far restart, remove batteries, open in photo mode and then switch to movie. Not even the lua 4.5k 14 bit lossless cinema workflow looks the same, with the same parameters the info color seems to compress less, so I barely can record 2 or 3 frames before it locks. The workflow that I had standardized no longer works. I deleted early June builds, where can I find them? I attach the crash files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mfC9M_6W9LInI13NB7y-CmaP9IzSXg1T

Danne

Older builds you have to compile yourself. Check relevant compiler threads.
Maybe you have some canon menu setting interfering? Tried formatting card? I don't experience your issues. I would need more reports and clear steps how to reproduce to be able to help.
What are others experiencing?

guerchi

I am using the version of July 5 without problems. I did not do timelapse, I mostly use mv1080p MCM rewire and 4k Anamorphic Rewired modes. In 10bit 2.35 1280x1700 it is quite stable, although it gave me a couple of pink frames in a 2 minute clip. I'm using a Sandisk Extrem PRO 128gb 95Mb/s. I also think that due to the 10bit there is a greenish tone with grain in the shadows near the black.
I did another test yesterday of 4k anamorphic rewire in 12 bit, iso 800. Today I will convert to see if there are pink frames. I chose this mode because in addition  to get a better resolution and less alaising than in mv1080p, note to my surprise that it responds a much much better in noise levels with high ISO, I will try to upload a comparison later.

On the other hand it is amazing the option of 3x crop Toggle! I found myself using it a lot. With the 24-70 it is like having the 70-200 mounted at the same time with the plus that the image has less artifacts in the 3x Crop mode. Beautiful.
Very grateful to Danne, Jip Hop, and all that make it possible. :)

Danne

Quote from: guerchi on July 06, 2019, 10:46:24 PM
I am using the version of July 5 without problems. I did not do timelapse, I mostly use mv1080p MCM rewire and 4k Anamorphic Rewired modes. In 10bit 2.35 1280x1700 it is quite stable,

On the other hand it is amazing the option of 3x crop Toggle! I found myself using it a lot. With the 24-70 it is like having the 70-200 mounted at the same time with the plus that the image has less artifacts in the 3x Crop mode. Beautiful.
Very grateful to Danne, Jip Hop, and all that make it possible. :)
Thanks for the feedback.
1280x1700? Not a resolution I´m familiar with. Are you using the ratios presets?
3xcrop toggle. Agree. Since available from a push on a button it´s a breeze to go in and out of close up using the same lens.
By the way. Greenish tone is only visible in liveview preview not on the recorded footage.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- x3crop toggle will also work with anamorphic modes. It´s a ittle different. By keeping halfshutter pressed it will temporarily enter x3crop for focusing purposes. Releasing the button will enter back to anamorphic mode.

Danne

Reuploaded a new build. Was testing out a new preview reg which dodn´t work in x5 zoom so redownload above version.

Jip-Hop

Cool stuff Danne! Can't try right now so I'll have to ask. Temporary x3crop in anamorphic as focus helper works only when not recording right?

Danne

Danne

New upload again. Reverted back to older registry aorund preview brightness.

marcelolippi

Hi guys, with the new Danne build, 7 july, all come back right...I didn't even install the new build ... mysteries, I don't ask for anything and I'm going to enjoy the recordings. Thanks and good job!

marcelolippi

will it be possible that the timecode of each single clip can be set or at least, follow the camera clock? to avoid that every clip starts from 0 that confuses the passage between AVID and DAVINCI RESOLVE? Thanks!

guerchi

Quote from: Danne on July 07, 2019, 01:35:35 AM
1280x1700? Not a resolution I´m familiar with. Are you using the ratios presets?
Good Question  :o I'm not sure how I get to that resolution. From what I see, it is the resolution of option 2.20 when it is 2.35 in crop mode. I converted  that videos(4 videos of one minute approx.) And there is not a single pink frame! This is one still of these shots in 800ISO 12bits:
http://www.guerweb.com/pics/M06-2236_frame_101.png

Quote from: Danne on July 07, 2019, 01:35:35 AM
By the way. Greenish tone is only visible in liveview preview not on the recorded footage.
I did not see it in the liveview, which only becomes a bit magenta. I noticed it from the MLV APP:
http://www.guerweb.com/pics/M06-1738_frame_62.png
Anyway, it seems that i could shoot in 12bits even more stable than in 10bits.
Today I test a video in aspect ratio 2.1 (with aspect ratio OFF in crop mode), 12bit,  1280x1820 res, 1:12 duration, without corrupted frames too! I do not know what you did with your latest version but it seems to have done wonders about the pink frames.

The only problem in this mode is the preview,  framing is very slow and realtime, I can deal with the narrow, but there is a significant cut in the frame, only shows the top part.
This is what it captures:
http://www.guerweb.com/pics/M08-2111_frame_285.png
and this is what I see:
http://www.guerweb.com/pics/IMG_20190707_205900.jpg

There is also a magenta bar in the middle that becomes notorious especially in the shadows that I don't know if it is possible to draw from the MLV App:
http://www.guerweb.com/pics/M09-0013_frame_736.png

Thanks Danne for answering and for all the work you are doing, let me know if you need to test more options. Despite these details, it is incredible what this little camera is already capable of.

Danne

Run the lua cinema script and then use the ratios in crop mode sub menus instead of in RAW video section.
Or experiment but who knows where it takes you :)