Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Go nuts  :P
Yes, it´s madness getting this out of the 1st gen eosm cam. 4.5k 24 fps...

jacquaviva

Hello, do you think something can be done for non squeezed real time preview shooting at 1736x1120px ? Thanks a lot

Teamsleepkid

im not getting continuous recording with 10 bit 2:35 1504 sd hack setting only like 2 seconds and crash. does it work for anyone else? also not complaining. thanks so much danne when are you turning blue? :P
EOS M

bergamote

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on January 14, 2019, 11:30:35 PM
im not getting continuous recording with 10 bit 2:35 1504 sd hack setting only like 2 seconds and crash.

You mean in 1x3 right? Cos here it seems to work, I shot for a minute (but got 4 bad frames).

henricusmaria

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on January 14, 2019, 11:30:35 PM
im not getting continuous recording with 10 bit 2:35 1504 sd hack setting only like 2 seconds and crash. does it work for anyone else?

Same here, it crashes within 2 sec. It works with the bitrate in 'Cropmode' at 12 bit and the data format in 'Raw Video' set to 14-bit lossless. Then I end up with a 10-bit lossless file.

henricusmaria

How does the upsampling work in mlvapp? I now adjust the height stretch to 1.0x and then multiply the width by 3 in the export settings. Is this the correct way? And is it right that we end up with a 10-bit lossless file in mlv app? Thanks

bergamote

Last night I could get continuous (at 1x3 1504x1920 10bit 24fps, with a handful of corrupted frames) but I was a bit underexposed the whole time.
Trying again in the sunshine, it crashes after just over 15s when I'm exposing to the right or slightly overexposed.
To test this, I started a shot underexposed and it rolled without problems for over a minute. Then pointed at the sky (to be massively overexposed) and it crashed within 200 frames.
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here, might just be a coincidence.

Danne

That's how lossless works. More highlights, more overhead...

IDA_ML

Bergamote,

The reason for the early stop phenomenon that you observe is that bright portions of the scene do not losslessly compress so well as darker ones.  Therefore, the brighter your scene is, the less is the compression and buffer fills much faster causing the camera to stop early.  When you move the camera during filming, watch for the color of the time indicator.  It should be green but when the sky or a brightly lit object enters the screen, it turns yellow, orange and red.  If it turns red, recording will stop any moment.

To avoid this, do the following:

1) AETTR your scene and once you are sure you have proper exposure, dial it one stop back

2) Focus precisely on the main object that you need to place the accent on

3) Activate Dual ISO and select the higher value to be two stops higher than the lower one as selected in 1), e.g. 100/400.  This will compensate for the lower signal-to-noise ratio in the shadows as a result of the reduced exposure in 1)

4) Start filming.  Now the scene will not contain too bright areas and compression will work just fine.  You will get continuous recording.  As a bonus, you will also get a brighter striped preview which will help you frame better.  But watch for the icon color.  If a large and very bright object enters the scene, it still may turn red and you may not have enough time to avoid camera early stop.

5) Process your files with MLVApp and enjoy stunning video quality !!!

6) And don't forget to thank the developers for this miracle! 

bergamote

Right right right, that figures, cheers for the explanations guys!
Gonna follow those instructions and try dual iso now.

ctfire

Hey guys, have a problem with latest  build ,try to search some info about focus pixel dots , and find nothing how to fix it . Its in 1080mv 24p. Have anybody fix for it?

And  focus peaking see it even in live view

Danne

Set chroma smooth to 3x3 in mlv app.
Dfort, the pixeldestroyel, needs to take a look.

ctfire

Quote from: Danne on January 15, 2019, 04:18:11 PM
Set chroma smooth to 3x3 in mlv app.

I'll try, thanks !

dfort

Quote from: Danne on January 15, 2019, 04:18:11 PM

Ha ha -- need some sample MLV and simple silent stills from the various cameras and settings in order to work on this. Seems like things are changing daily. Lets narrow down just the ones that aren't working in MLV App for now because that seems to be the preferred app.

Danne

Yea, let them pixel presets settle first  8)

Danne

Updated yet again:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

In an attempt to reduce overhead getting a slight more headroom for the 1x3 binning mode setting I started looking at the framing preview in mlv_lite. This mode seems most stable with 5D3 and a working with eosm and the 100D quite often framing options ends up with stuck into real time preview needing to restart the camera. Did a few changes, one which will make framing preview run in grayscale when recording but color while not recording for framing. Also seems more stable going in and out of framing and real-time preview.
If testing please report about corrupted frames or other anomalies.
Would be cool if we could at least get a reliable framing/real-time usage for both eosm and 100D. Should be possible.

loknar

Ok, so i tried some real world shooting in 1x3 dual ISO mode and here is the result
build crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jan11.EOSM202

Unfortunately I forgot,  that there are probably some extra steps in Dual ISO processing to avoid flickering...so there's flickering. Also conditions weren't pleasant (freezing, wind gusts over 70 kph) and it was first time i saw that CPU temperature was 0 degrees Celsius :o).
As far as corruption goes, i guess 50 % no problem, 25 % one or two corrupted frames at the begining or at the end and last 25 % unusable due tu mulltiple corrupted frames.

Danne

Thanks for sharing. uploaded a new build to test.
Flickering shouldn´t be an issue. How did you process your files? Mlv App or camera raw?

masc

@loknar: you should disable "bad pixel fix", because on detailed dual iso clips it failes sometimes... it brings some pink dots (0:28). Does that help?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

anto

it seams that link of the new version doesn't work

Danne

Thanks Walter/anto. Updated the link as well.
100D also updated. MIght work more reliable as well regarding preview/framing modes.

loknar

I used MLVApp, also my clips didn't have correct exposure, so some problems might come from it. I need to get ND filter, I've been getting overexposure at f/22!.

henricusmaria

How does the upsampling of the 1x3 footage work in mlvapp? When I export the footage is downsampled.

Teamsleepkid

henri you should probably ask in the mlvapp discussion this thread is for eos m. file, export, settings, then under codec look for ffmpeg click the lock change to whatever output size you want. at least thats what I'm guessing they're doing.
EOS M