60D not turning on

Started by Tobi_20, January 23, 2021, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobi_20

Hello!

My 60D won't turn on anymore after a period in storage.
LED blink test worked, but the portable display test did not do anything.

I've been able to run the Rom dumper from boot loader

I'm not sure how to continue trobleshoting. Can I upload the ROM0.BIN here?

I am thankful for every tip I can get

a1ex

Portable ROM dumper worked? If yes, keep the ROMs safe or send them to me privately (don't share them here).

You may try to capture further logs with these builds:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/startup-log/
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/startup-log-mpu/

If you can't get any logs, try this one:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25668.msg233208#msg233208

Tobi_20

Hello Alex,
thank you very much for your reply!

All the provided tools just make the led tun on indefinitely.
The only tool that worked is the Rom Dumper from the sticky topic "Diagnostic tools"

The Color Display stays off in any case but the backlight of the top display is dimly lit.

a1ex

To be clear, the portable ROM dumper managed to save ROM0.BIN on the card, but didn't display anything on the main LCD? In other words, you ran it blindly?

In that case, the built-in display may be faulty. Any luck using an external monitor?

Can you let the portable ROM dumper run for a little longer? It should also save ROM1.BIN.

If the startup-log builds didn't save a log, and we've got no working display, the easiest way to get more logs is via UART. You would have to disassemble the back cover, as the connector is not easily accessible on this camera. It's under the rubber on the camera back, bottom right side.

Alternatively, I can also try to blink the debug messages using a LED, but that requires either a second camera running ML, or an Arduino with some kind of light sensor (photoresistor, phototransistor).

Tobi_20

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the camera was done when the light was off
I sent you the rest of the files

On the HDMI output, there is no signal.
Coincidentally, I believe I do have an UART adapter (for programming adruinos) although I didn't use it before.

I do have a 600D with ML

a1ex

ROM1 doesn't look good - main firmware is disabled and there are differences on the code area. It doesn't boot in QEMU.

It smells like a firmware update that was interrupted. The code area is mostly empty.

Compared to a good ROM1:
- some differences below FF010000, unknown, probably not relevant
- OK between FF010000 and FF510000
- empty (FF everywhere) between FF510000 and FF51FFFF
- valid contents from FF520000, but they appear to be from a different firmware version (ROM dumper log reports 1.1.2, ML runs on 1.1.1)
- identical from FFF20000 until the end (bootloader and some other stuff)

Have you tried to downgrade it from 1.1.2, and took the battery out in the process?

I can fix the interrupted firmware update, but I'm expecting the display to work in the current state. In QEMU, the camera asks for a firmware update. That is, if you start with a SD card not prepared for ML (e.g. a formatted card), that contains a Canon firmware update, the camera would start executing it without prompting. It does ask for confirmation before attempting to reflash, though.

Tobi_20

Quote from: a1ex on January 29, 2021, 12:35:50 PM
Have you tried to downgrade it from 1.1.2, and took the battery out in the process?

I think that's what happened. Please excuse my lousy memory, I have this camera bricked for quite some time and until now never came around to look into it.

Quote from: a1ex on January 29, 2021, 12:35:50 PM
That is, if you start with a SD card not prepared for ML (e.g. a formatted card), that contains a Canon firmware update, the camera would start executing it without prompting. It does ask for confirmation before attempting to reflash, though.
Should I try to put the original Canon Firmware 1.1.2 on an SD Card and see what happens?

a1ex

Yes. However, if you already have an UART dongle, I'd recommend using it during the firmware update, to see what exactly it does. Otherwise, you'll be running a firmware update blindly, so we'll have to do some guesswork if anything goes wrong.

Option 1 (recommended):
- Identify the camera's TXDICU pin (it prints a bunch of stuff at camera startup, even in current state) and connect it to the RX pin of the UART dongle. If using a FT232RL dongle, the jumper should be set 3V3. Probing the pins in the UART connector should be safe, as long as the wire is connected to RX (because RX only listens to incoming data, unlike TX).
- Keep the TXDICU -> RX connection active during the firmware update, and make sure you can record messages before confirming. Arduino's serial terminal is OK. Test it by starting the camera without card, a few times (you will need to take the battery out in order to reboot).
- Format a card, place Canon's firmware update (ideally 1.1.1, to run ML)
- Confirm the update by pressing SET. In QEMU, the firmware update only displays an OK button. (On other cameras, you'd have to press Right and then SET.)
- I'd expect some kind of progress messages on UART. A firmware update should normally take a few minutes.

Option 2 (blind):
- Format a card, place Canon's firmware update (ideally 1.1.1), confirm with SET.
- Leave the camera unattended for at least 10 minutes.

Afterwards, if the camera still doesn't boot, run the portable ROM dumper again, regardless of which option you choose.

If it helps, you can also jump on Discord or IRC for real-time assistance.

arieagung

I have the exact same problem and condition... I already sent the rom dump and log by PM, I hope I can get help.