Organic Film Grain from Digital Sensors

Started by maxotics, January 18, 2021, 03:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

I try to explain the Magic Lantern RAW video look that can't be replicated with in-camera H.264.  Recently, I've been playing with the SL1. Amazing!  The ML devs got it to do something I thought impossible.  I bought a BMPCC4K (and will have to upgrade my PC to deal with it!).  Did you know you can't write CinemaDNG?   I also don't believe any of the current HDMI to RAW is real raw down to the pixel. For certain types of grainy looks, ML is becoming the only way to achieve it.

wib

EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

Thomi

Thank you for sharing, I always wondered which kind of specific noise this, maybe some day I will like it too!

IDA_ML

7D for ever!  The most beautiful and most organic RAW video that I have ever seen at 1728x972 resolution.  I am so happy that I kept my 7D ...  It does not stop to surprise me!

Luther

The point of shooting Raw, for me, is not even the "organic look". To be honest, digital noise is not pleasant as film grain so I always remove it a little. The point for me is the flexibility. If a scene gets overexposed, I can recover it. And the color grading is much easier and gives better results. So the footage is more "forgiving".

Once somebody asked me to edit a footage from a Sony camera and I simply couldn't do the color grading, because multiple colors were out of gamut (it was a show with many bright lights). That kind of thing just doesn't happen on Raw image.

Now the real question is if ML Raw is still worth it, because more cameras are popping now with native Raw recording... perhaps that's why this forum has been so silent these last months.

ps: when people ask me why I like ML Raw, I sometimes show this amazing work from Marius and they get stunned - https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24858.msg225386