Canon 70D - How to Record more than 30 minutes+?

Started by AwesomeCr, January 04, 2021, 01:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AwesomeCr

Hello everybody :),

I installed magic lantern from here or this file magiclantern-nightly.2018dec24.70d112.zip:

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/70D-112.html

I successfully installed magic lantern 70D build, but I have no clue on how to set the 30+ video time limit bypass in the ML menu.

And then I read I have to install the experiment version "lua_fix" instead.

So I removed magic lantern and then installed lua_fix from here or this file  magiclantern-lua_fix.2020Dec28.70D112.zip:

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

But also here I am confused, I am not sure where to go to set the 30+ video timelimit bypasss.

I have a CANON 70D + Firmware 1.1.2.

If someone has a video tutorial that they can link me that will also be greatly appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Prefs tab -> Powersave in LiveView -> 30-minute timer Disabled
Applies to HDMI/USB recording/liveview.

H.264/MOV: No bypass. You have to live with a few lost frames at 29:59. ML can do automatic restart only. See Movie tab -> Movie tweaks -> Movie restart
No difference between Nightly Build and lua_fix.

MLV/raw: No recording limit but free space on card, battery and overheating.
No difference between Nightly Build and lua_fix.

Sorry, but no decent/peer reviewed ML 101 tutorial (written or video) covering nightly builds available.

ChristianEOS

Nö, I haven't found ML 101 tutorial (written or video) either, just to correct my previous speaker. With some of the ML versions there is no settings for 30 minute timer/powersave LiveView.
You would have to set the settings in the normal Canon menu.
Auto power off  / disable
To ensure you record over 30 minutes you could even make the file size smaller (-2/Q-scale/0,5) skipping to the next video after 30 minutes would be maybe a little faster.
Christian Bruno James

a1ex

Quote from: ChristianEOS on January 04, 2021, 01:33:29 PM
Auto power off  / disable
To ensure you record over 30 minutes you could even make the file size smaller (-2/Q-scale/0,5) skipping to the next video after 30 minutes would be maybe a little faster.

Bad news: these won't allow anyone to continuously record over 30 minutes.

Sam8529

I do exactly this for corporate events at my employer. The camcorder is locked down and shoots wide, unmanned. I operate the DSLR (5D2 in my case - with a 12 minute limit) for closeups. Because I manage framing and focus, it's easy to stop/start the recording during transitions. I record main audio to the camcorder and auto-gain audio to the DSLR for sync purposes.

Note that cutting the DSLR result into smaller clips actually has a benefit. Because the cameras aren't genlocked, there is a small amount of drift. By syncing the smaller DLSR clips, the drift is small and unobjectionable.

The limit would be a problem if the DSLR were unmanned, but given that it does closeups, it's manned and necessarily has transitions as you move from one subject to the next.

Note that there are automatic syncing tools, but I don't find it too time consuming to sync the small number of clips (5-10) manually.