Please help, how to uninstall? (5D mark2) video added! [Solved]

Started by alvess, September 05, 2012, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvess

Need help, how to uninstall? (5D mark2)
The instructions don't work:

With a Magic Lantern card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen.
    Re-installing Canon firmware will not remove Magic Lantern.

The above only installs the magic firmware again.... :o

Please help.

a1ex

Quote... and follow the instructions on-screen.

Don't skip this step ;)

alvess

Quote from: a1ex on September 05, 2012, 03:38:28 PM
Don't skip this step ;)

There are none, only succses magic latern is installed.
What am i missing?

Should the camera be booted in any special mode?

Please help, i need my camera as it was.
The boot time with ML is 3sek, even from sleep.
Nice features but boot time is more important to me.

Br alvess

exomonkeyman

I'm not sure but for me.
I just go to.

Menu/Format/Press Q, Then it will say (Format card, keep magic lantern [Q]) keep pressing [Q] until it says (Format card, remove magic lantern [Q])
Say yes.
Done.

But this is for the 60D has well as a SDHC card.
(Don't take my word for it)

alvess

Quote from: exomonkeyman on September 05, 2012, 05:00:23 PM
I'm not sure but for me.
I just go to.

Menu/Format/Press Q, Then it will say (Format card, keep magic lantern [Q]) keep pressing [Q] until it says (Format card, remove magic lantern [Q])
Say yes.
Done.

But this is for the 60D has well as a SDHC card.
(Don't take my word for it)

Thanks but according to the "manual" this only removes ML from the memory card, i want it off the camera.  ;)

alvess

Quote from: a1ex on September 05, 2012, 03:38:28 PM
Don't skip this step ;)

I have recorded a video where i try to uninstall ML, according to these instuctions:
Uninstalling ML from the camera
-With a Magic Lantern card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen.

Here is my video, it don't uninstall and it's no instructions on the screen  :(

http://youtu.be/XWEtmfa2EbA

Please advice...

kihlbahkt

Hi Alvess, like exomonkeyman said...
ML only resides on the memory card.  Format the card using (Q) to select that ml be deleted and not restored and ML will be removed from the card and will not be "on" your camera. You can also start the cam without running ML by holding down the SET button (600D) while turning on the camera. Read up in the guides for your camera model, I dont if  the 5dmii has a set button.
That should work. Good luck
600D x2

alvess

Quote from: a1ex on September 05, 2012, 05:43:11 PM
At 0:45 ;)

Very funny, but I'am not up to jokes right now.  >:(

I want the below screen from this page: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

Is it possible or can't ML be uninstalled from the camera as advertised?

Or is this information wrong?

Don't just delete the Magic Lantern files from the card! If you do, the camera will freeze at startup and you'll have to take the battery out.
Uninstalling ML from one card
-Format that card from the camera (select this option: Format card, remove Magic Lantern) and reboot. Your camera will load the original firmware when you use that card.
-With a Magic Lantern card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen.
    Re-installing Canon firmware will not remove Magic Lantern.

Br alvess

nanomad

Quote from: a1ex on September 05, 2012, 05:43:11 PM
At 0:45 ;)

Since you didn't get it. The BOOTDISK flag it is the only thing that ML stores on your camera. To disable it you need to run the installer then turn the mode dial when instructed....  ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

alvess

Quote from: nanomad on September 05, 2012, 06:23:54 PM
Since you didn't get it. The BOOTDISK flag it is the only thing that ML stores on your camera. To disable it you need to run the installer then turn the mode dial when instructed....  ::)

Thanks! Now when my blood preasure is lower and I understand english again.. :-[

But seriously 3sek boot time and a camera that appered bricked, until i took out the battery a couple of times.
ML has some real cool features, but until the boot time and the random freezing is sorted I pass.

Thanks again, alvess

a1ex

There is no random freezing as long as you follow the bold advice from the install guide.

alvess

Quote from: a1ex on September 05, 2012, 07:07:54 PM
There is no random freezing as long as you follow the bold advice from the install guide.

Sweet, is there a "tip" for the boot time as well?  :)

a1ex

No, ML has to wait for Canon firmware to initialize first.

You can use a card without ML when you need speed, and another one with ML when you need its features.

nanomad

Quote from: alvess on September 05, 2012, 07:37:25 PM
Sweet, is there a "tip" for the boot time as well?  :)

Beside: use a smaller card or use a second one without ML, no. We can't change what canon does
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

isaacher

Why does it say that this thread is solved? I have the same problem. I cannot uninstall ML. I don't get the screen that is shown in the manual. My MII camera now only works with one of my memory cards. And I can't uninstall ML. Please help.

nanomad

Run the magiclantern firmware updater and take a pic of the screen  ::)

tomtele

Its silly as ML advise to format the card  by pressing PicSel button(to remove ML from the card) and then to remove any trace from the camera itself you actually need to put the ML firmware back to the memory card  to run installer!!!! where is the sense?? very annoying! After I  installed ML, main dial button and Live View button stopped working!! I want to give the camera  to service (still under warranty) and have no idea how to remove any traces of ML from camera itself!!  anyway its 5d mk2. Any help much appreciated

nanomad

That's because you have to remove ML from the camera FIRST and then from the card. We can't do it the other way around ::)

a1ex

Before sending your camera to service, you need to read the user guide from Canon ;)

And ML install guide, of course.

g3gg0

to clarify...

a) no ML
    BOOTDISK flag in flash is DISABLED
    CARD is NOT BOOTABLE
    CARD CONTAINS NO autoexec.bin

b) installed ML
    BOOTDISK flag in flash is ENABLED
    CARD is BOOTABLE
    CARD CONTAINS autoexec.bin

c) user made mistake and deleted autoexec.bin
    CARD is BOOTABLE
    CARD CONTAINS NO autoexec.bin --->> CRASH ON STARTUP (black screen)

d) user made mistake and formatted the card in computer OR uses another card
    CARD is NOT BOOTABLE
    CARD CONTAINS NO autoexec.bin --->> NO MAGIC LANTERN, NORMAL BOOT

to uninstall ML all three things have to be undone.

BOOTDISK flag <- toggled with the installation .fir (on-screen instructions explain it very good)
CARD BOOTABLE <- you can format card on your computer, burn it in fire or buy a new one
autoexec.bin <- you can format card on your computer, burn it in fire or buy a new one

i am not sure why this would cause so much trouble?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

tomtele

Thanks for your reply.
I have removed ML from the camera so when I check the firmware version on the camera menu, ML is not visible. Is that mean no traces at all of ML firmware  on 5d itself??
Can I remove it now from the card by formatting the card on my PC?? or it must be done through the camera?
If I remove the ML from the camera first the option to remove it from the card is no more available in the camera menu...
I hope that canon people will not say "sorry but you have installed ML and your warranty is void" ...

a1ex

Correct.

Don't forget to read your Canon manual, because your 5D Mark II works just as Canon designed it, no need to send it to service.

tomtele

Hi g3gg0, The trouble is that I am not sure what exactly 5d store in the internal memory. I now when I burn the card or do low format on PC then the memory card is completely wiped out.. but i don't know what technicians in canon repair services will see on the computer screen when connect my 5d..

tomtele

a1ex,  The reason why I am sending my 5d to the service is that suddenly after I installed ML, 2 buttons stop working. I have removed ML formatted the card, even reinstall the canon firmware but 2 buttons sill are dead(live view and main aperture dial). Its probably the coincident and have nothing to do with installing ML... i hope

a1ex

After you will read Canon's manual, these buttons will start working again... by magic ;)

nanomad

I do not have a 5D3 but I  suppose you already restored the camera and Cfn to their default values, right?

a1ex

Oddly enough, restoring default settings on 5D Mark II and 50D will disable LiveView. ML install guide explains this.

g3gg0

Quote from: tomtele on November 19, 2012, 12:13:18 PM
Its silly as ML advise to format the card  by pressing PicSel button(to remove ML from the card) and then to remove any trace from the camera itself you actually need to put the ML firmware back to the memory card  to run installer!!!! where is the sense?? very annoying!

from the INSTALL.PDF:

Uninstalling ML from one card
* Format that card from the camera (select this option: Format card, **remove* Magic Lantern*) and reboot. Your camera will load the original firmware when you use that card.

* With a Magic Lantern card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen.

i have no idea what we should do about that. this is de facto the way it will work and has to work.
if you know a better way, feel free to join the development team and improve the installer routines
that access BOOT ROM or hack some routines that rewrite the flash from main firmware.

and about the defect dial that prevents you from uninstalling ML... well.... this is nothing that ML caused or where ML did smth wrong.

try resetting canon config to default, maybe you shut your camera off in middle of a bracketing sequence or similar.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

tomtele

Thanks guys for all your comments. For some of you things are obvious but for most of the users message like for example "Bootdisk flag ENABLED" means nothing and sound like I have to spend another couple of hours "googling" what does could mean... For me if something is disabled means that it exist but is switched off/not active.. so I was assuming that ML or its remains are still on the camera but disabled somewhere in the bootdisk file or maybe there is now extra file somewhere in camera ROM that prevents ML to boot from the card... a mystery
As I was just about to take my 5d for the repair I was getting annoyed.. maybe to much
Anyway I took my 5d to repair today:( I can only hope they will not charge me hundreds of pounds...

You are right a1ex, LiveView button was disabled after restoring default settings! but both dials (on the top of the camera and on the grip) are dead. I am sure it is nothing to do with uninstalling ML but it happened right after uninstall so I was confused.

Last question  ::) .. : after uninstalling/disabling ML from the camera and burning the memory card will the canon service technicians know that ML was installed????

ilguercio

I bet most camera services couldn't care a thing if you installed it, they aren't really going to check for it. Yes, technically they could, setting the bootflag changes something permanently) but as said somewhere else they don't have a reason for doing so.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Geir H

There are several ways to uninstall Magic Lantern on the 5Dmark 2, but none of them worked for me. None of the solution on Youtube worked. The green text did not show up, and it was not possible to use the menu on the camera to update or format the card so ML could disappear. The solution was to install ML again to the CF card: I created a new folder on the PC. Here I uploaded all the files from the ML -> "Download Magic Lantern -> Stable Release: v2.3" to the new folder. So I transferred the ML files to CF who stood in the PC. When the PC will ask if any of the files on the CF card Schall be replaced? (since they are already there) Answer yes to all those questions. Insert the CF back in the camera and turn it on. Then the green text will up and ML can be uninstall, as shown in many yotube uninstall guides.

PhotoCat

"There are several ways to uninstall Magic Lantern on the 5Dmark 2, but none of them worked for me. None of the solution on Youtube worked. The green text did not show up, and it was not possible to use the menu on the camera to update or format the card so ML could disappear. The solution was to install ML again to the CF card: I created a new folder on the PC. Here I uploaded all the files from the ML -> "Download Magic Lantern -> Stable Release: v2.3" to the new folder. So I transferred the ML files to CF who stood in the PC. When the PC will ask if any of the files on the CF card Schall be replaced? (since they are already there) Answer yes to all those questions. Insert the CF back in the camera and turn it on. Then the green text will up and ML can be uninstall, as shown in many yotube uninstall guides."

This is so true. I am on ML nightly build on a 5D2 and when I click on the Canon firmware update button, nothing happens.
So I just have to format a new card and load ML v2.3 onto it and then click the Canon firmware update button. This time, I was
able to see the ML screens and reset the boot flag.  Thank you for the tip Geir!