Installing Magic Lhavantern on Canon Rebel T3i not working

Started by marilynpoy, November 19, 2020, 10:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marilynpoy

Hi,

I am not able to install Magic Lantern on my Canon Rebel T3i. I installed ML in 2016 but my SD card stopped working so I bought new SD cards and am trying to reinstall ML on these new SD cards. I tried installing the latest version of T3i with the file "magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.600D102.zip" but this is the error I get when I run the program on my camera: (image url) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hRarGDjdoM88W7T1E1f2vTep9Iinu82e/view?usp=sharing

Image description:
Magic Lantern install
ML directory not found!
Please copy all ML files.

Firmware 0
Bootdisk -1
RAM_EXE -1
Update -1

I have tried multiple times to reformat and erase the SD card and copying and pasting different older builds and am getting the same error. I have also tried reinstalling Canon Firmware 1.0.2 and it is still giving me the same issue. I am stumped, please help.

Walter Schulz

Confirmed bug:
Magic Lantern install is unable to read directories when an ExFAT formated card is prepared with a computer running Big Sur.

Workarounds:
- Format card using FAT32 file system.
or
- Use a computer with another OS version to prepare card for ML.

danidani

Thanks Walter, having the same problem in a 60D. And are there any inconvenience afterwards to use the card as FAT32 and not ExFat to shoot and work?

What is "Making the sd card Bootable" means and this also a needed step in the process?

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: danidani on December 11, 2020, 08:15:36 PM
Thanks Walter, having the same problem in a 60D. And are there any inconvenience afterwards to use the card as FAT32 and not ExFat to shoot and work?

Before I answer that one: Are you willing and able to create a disk image and send it to ML dev so he can  purge that bug?

2nd Q: Part of installation you don't have to worry about.

danidani

If my technical knowledge allows it, yes.

And as for the FAT32, I intended to ask what are the differences later in real life, when I will be using the camera to shoot, to have a sd card in ExfAt or fat32?

Walter Schulz

To answer this question without guessing we need your image first. None of the developers has access to Big Sur.

Quote from: danidani on December 11, 2020, 08:15:36 PM
And are there any inconvenience afterwards to use the card as FAT32 and not ExFat to shoot and work?

FAT32 file size is limited to 4 GB thus RAW recordings will get splitt if 4 GB is reached. You get *.M00, *.M01 ...

If in-cam format is used you will get ExFAT, for cards with high capacity. So you should not use in-cam format to wipe DCIM directories and card root clean. Card in cam will do fine but most likely Big Sur will touch card (after inserted into cardreader) and card will become unusable for ML again. So you have to reformat with FAT32 and redo ML installation. Ergo: Just don't use cam to format card.
News: Big Sur will not touch ML's directories if they are already on card. No harm done by formatting card in-cam.