smartphone gps

Started by mojoDodo, September 05, 2012, 11:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojoDodo

Hi,

New to the forum, love the ML on my Eos 600d, awesome job!

I've been searching on the web for gps tagging solutions and strangely enough there seems to be only one for canon cameras, a quite expensive one for that matter. My suggestion is using, for example, my iPhone and a usb cable to connect up to the camera and with a simple iPhone app transfer gps coordinates to the camera, or for ease, record on the phone on shutter release. I don't expect much, but it would be extremely handy.

nanomad

Or you could buy a GPS tracker: they are cheap and the battery lasts a lot when used on-demand. You can then use a pc software to Geo tag the photos if your camera clock is correct
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

mojoDodo

I suppose that can be a temporary solution. Thanks for the advice nanomad, will give it a go.

nanomad

They are actually called loggers not trackers
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

miyake

Maybe you can enable PTP_ML on source code and build your self.
And buy cheap Android(Need supported USB host mode).
Then, you need to add code for
-transfer the GPS location by USB-PTP on Android side.
-Receive it and write location to pictures on ML side.

Then you can do it. Try it.
I don' t know iPhone is USB host mode supported or not.

Alia5

Use your Android-Phone or iPhone with an App, Let the Phone track your Time and Coordinates, Sync them afterwards on your PC with some programm like "Geosetter" ;)

ItsMeLenny