5d3 4k industrial/synth music video

Started by 70MM13, August 16, 2020, 08:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

shot at 3616*1536 14 bits, 23.976 fps using card spanning and sd overclock.

24mm T/1.5

i've gotta say, after doing the last few episodes of beyond zen using the anamorphic mode, i prefer it to 1:1 uhd!  anamorphic footage is a lot easier to work with in resolve for smooth playback.  i had to use proxies for this video...

i just wish it could do true 2.35:1 without sacrificing horizontal resolution.  oh well, maybe someday?

in the meantime, enjoy:
PS: the long solo performance at the end was live as it was going down.  that's the real take.  it's so sweet to have reliable long duration video recording thanks to the card spanning and overclock!

things have really come a long way!

https://youtu.be/Ou5UUVC9Bgg

wib

for smooth playback I try to always keep the dng's on the internal disk and in resolve you can always generate optimised media. it takes a little of time but it's worth the wait.
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

IDA_ML

Nice work, 70MM13, as always!  Do you film yourself with multiple cameras when you perform or you make several takes at different perspectives while playing the same song over and over again to film different parts of it?  Also, how do you start and stop video recording remotely?  Does someone else film the clips for you or how does that work? 

Ease of processing and compact file sizes are one of the reasons why I also prefer the 1x3 anamorphic modes.  Loss of quality compared to the 1x1 ones is negligible to nonexistent  - barely perceptible even when watched on a high-resolution quality screen. 

If you do all your corrections in MLVApp and then export to ProRes, Resolve plays back these files very smoothly and makes video editing really easy.  In addition, MLVApp allows more precise adjustments and provides more natural skin tones than Resolve.  The only downside is longer render times when exporting to ProRes but you save that time when doing the editing in Resolve later.

ChristianEOS

Is it possible recording with such a high resolution at 29 976 FPS?
Christian Bruno James

70MM13

thanks ida :)

i do everything myself.  i wish i had a production partner!  only one camera, and since i'm in the studio recording the parts, i just film myself performing.  i don't do any remote start/stop, i just record everything and trim in mlvapp while exporting the dng sequences.

timbytheriver turned me onto a nice pair of plugins by the bald avenger for resolve, and i'm over the moon with how great they are! "film grade" and "soft clip".

i used them on the latest ttt episode.  "grading" was almost effortless and i love how it turned out!

https://youtu.be/JsPpFKncBO0

@christian, i'm sorry i don't know.  i only shoot at 23.976 or 18fps.  try it and let us know!

IDA_ML

Thanks for the explanation, 70MM13.  All your videos look very professional, indeed.  Obviously, you put a lot of effort in that.  It is also so nice to see that there are still people like you who do something to restore Nature while it is being ruthlessly destroyed on a massive scale.  In my country, land is being exhausted to such a scale with the massive growth of GMO and usage of highly toxic herbicides and pesticides that it will soon loose its ability to feed people.  Bees and other useful insects are gone.  So are a variety of birds and wild species.  And the worst thing is that people keep eating that GMO stuff and do not have the slightest idea of what is going on.  People like you are badly needed to awaken their awareness.  So, keep going, pal!

70MM13

thank you for the kind words, a very rare experience for me on this forum...

i think the main issue with people is apathy.  they simply don't realize that the actions of individuals DO count.

you don't have to be a crazy retired music producer with your own forest to do significant things, although it is a great experience to live here and witness the beauty and intricate balance of nature as well as the results of my efforts.

the destruction of habitat for industrial farming is rampant here also.  one thing nobody mentions is that the vast majority of factory farmland and gmo crops are for animal feed.

it's great that you mentioned the bees and insects.  something happened here recently where the farmer beside my forest sprayed his field with glyphosate in september, a field that was growing fallow for the year to recover from 5 years of growing toxic ginseng.  the field was packed full of wildflowers when he sprayed, and it wiped out ALL of the butterflies and 95% of the bees.

i made an episode of one of my video series about it, and a trilogy of songs, the first of which was a collaboration with timbytheriver!

please share it with your friends who understand and maybe they can share it too...  the word needs to spread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T65_RjCfJI&list=PLQkD2LovQx-OVqAeTiR2j7CVR0uqLTC8R

IDA_ML

Sad video, sad music ... I will spread it among friends and colleagues.  Yes, the word needs to spread and I talk to people about these problems every time I have the opportunity for that.  I even talked to a few farmers growing GMO.  With a few exceptions, they all think that I am crazy, farmers are even hostile and aggressive.  They all have been brain washed to such an extent that they belive that GMO is healthy food and good for their bodies. Bee growing farmers, standing in front of piles of dead bees, believe that their bees have been killed by a rain storm that has brought sand from the Sahara desert - from 5000 km away.  People do not believe what I say even when they see with their own eyes friends, relatives and even their beloved people dying of cancer all the time while private cancer treatment hospitals grow like mushroom all over the country.  According to official statistics of our Ministry of food and agriculture, 92% of all the food on our food markets contains excessive amounts of GMO.  Still, nobody cares ... we have COVID-19 now.

IDA_ML

This is a thorough scientific study clearly showing how serious things are.  Hopefully, as many people as possible read this paper.  Thank you, 70MM13.

ChristianEOS

With recording in 5.7 K I have no possibility to fix the highlights they appear pink with the slightest contrast change. Can anybody help me to achieve more beautiful pictures?
Christian Bruno James

IDA_ML

Quote from: ChristianEOS on November 23, 2020, 02:27:41 AM
With recording in 5.7 K I have no possibility to fix the highlights they appear pink with the slightest contrast change. Can anybody help me to achieve more beautiful pictures?

In MLVApp, with Highlights reconstruction checked, you gently reduce the White level in the RAW module until the pink disappears.  In Resolve, if you use MLVFS to convert your MLVs into cDNG sequences, you just check the Highlight recovery option in the Camera RAW module under the Color tab.