Cooled R5

Started by garry23, November 26, 2020, 04:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I thought some may be interested in this.

https://youtu.be/X1u-9YqrIJc

Danne

names_are_hard

This is really nice work.  But of course, since it's DIY Perks.

Summary:
- original firmware, 20 minutes of 8k before overheat shutdown (for the next two hours!)
- updated firmware, 25 minutes before overheat
- custom heatsink, internal only, no external changes to the camera: 39 minutes before overheat (and after only 5 minute shutdown, you can do another 30)
- internal heatsink as before, with small-ish, clip-on external heatsink (screws into bottom plate) = unlimited 8k recording time

The very nice part to me is that there are no externally visible changes to the camera.  No holes or fan vents, etc.  If you are happy resting the cam for 5 minutes for every 30 mins of 8k recording you don't need to use the additional optional external heatsink, which attaches via bottom plate.

It would be quite plausible to make a kit for the internal cooling upgrade.

HiphopMoment

R5 overheating has been solved, external SSD is OK, after testing for 2 hours, there is no overheating alarm.安装上ssd之后,成为最完美的魔灯。https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c-s.w4002-22830279964.16.7bf329e0ixdd2C&id=558632891789
eos m eosm2 6d 5d3

Kharak

Thanks for sharing, that was a joy to watch!

I'm keeping my eyes out on Ebay for a $10,000 Modified R5 now.
once you go raw you never go back

garry23

QuoteI'm keeping my eyes out on Ebay for a $10,000 Modified R5 now.

Based on my initial post, someone with the skills to break open a camera, could make a nice little business doing a conversion, ie just like the IR conversion people do.

Just a thought or hint  ;)

Cheers

Garry

Walter Schulz

Low risk but should be mentioned: Warranty issues apply.
Would be easier just to sell a kit for DIY. Less logistics.

BTW: The amount of thermal paste used in the video makes me feel uncomfortable.

garry23

QuoteLow risk but should be mentioned: Warranty issues apply.

Agree, but, as with those seeking to get their camera IR converted, risk has been assessed  ;)

As for the thermal paste, someone who knows their stuff should be able to verify the amount that is acceptable.

One final thought, when you look at what Canon did inside, relative to the tweak in the video, you have to say, what were you thinking Canon?

Cheers

Garry

70MM13

actually, i think that canon did the right thing (within the bounds of their obvious marketing requirements of making it noncompetitive with their cinema line).

they wanted a camera that can be used only by amateurs for video while being as high quality as possible, and they achieved it.

the timer based thermal regulation makes a lot of sense if you think about it from a manufacturer's perspective:

the internal temperatures are getting dangerously high during demanding tasks like 8k recording, and they are not sufficiently regulating this, so they are shutting down before instant damage occurs.  but the other danger is long term damage from constantly cycling between overheated and cool conditions, especially for "cold solder" development, or even cracked circuit boards.

so they used intentionally "misapplied" thermal tape to actually slow the dissipation and employed a timer that won't allow the user to generate those dangerous temperatures again for 2 hours.  this way it slowly cools either to a safer operating temperature or completely to ambient temperature, depending on whether it is shut down completely or re-engaged after 20 minutes for photography only.  this was a wise setup within the restriction of being a consumer use only camera.  they should have been more upfront about it however to prevent the conspiracy theories (which were partially correct, but not taking into account the longevity factor listed above).  they underestimated the intelligence of the user to be able to understand their rationale, and in doing so have harmed their reputation for years to come.

and to make matters worse, they pushed out that firmware "upgrade" that reduced the timer values, which will almost certainly shorten the lifespan of the camera.

but their accountants probably decided it was better to appease the ignorant masses and sell more cameras even if they will be facing a lot of problems in a few years...  probably looks better on their balance sheet.  let's face it, they are probably counting on exiting the consumer camera space by then anyways thanks to cellphones as cameras...

so this hardware mod is an excellent idea in conjunction with proper thermal monitoring to ensure the camera is not being operated at dangerously high temperatures, which should have been done properly in the first place, regardless of marketing ideology.  it seems likely to me that the code is already in there, just not exposed to anyone but canon service personnel (for now!)