Best cage and handles for 5D Mark III

Started by togg, November 24, 2020, 08:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

What are you using for handling the 5D? I'm not looking for a shoulder mount, I'd like to feel comfortable in an hand grip.

I'm using a neewer one right now with a monitor offsetted and a smallrig handle. It probably became too wide.
https://i.imgur.com/VHsBcUB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v0sMeYC.jpg

I'm looking for the classic smallrig one. What are you using? How do you center both the top handle and the monitor?

Kharak

I use 8sinn cage with the (i think its called) scorpion top handle, got 4 hot shoe mounts in the handle plus screw mounts all over. With rails under the cage, i still have not managed to get a perfect balance. But with monitor placed on the back hotshoe on the handle, hip shooting is a breeze and very stable, but going one handed low is a tad too shaky for me.

I am currently looking for the classic Juicedlink RM333 (anyone know someone?), to be placed on the back end of the rails for a uniform front/back balance. Because adding a shotgun at the moment throws of the balance and having a zoom recorder under or on the side is just not working. (Plus they have the worst battery life and syncing is crap).
I am trying to increase the cameras "momentum" not sure if that is the right word, but the bigger the rig, the smaller the shakes, but too big and it becomes cumbersome, so its really about finding a balance between how heavy and balanced I want it.

I would just becareful about making your rig too wide, rather I would lenghten the rig for better movement.
once you go raw you never go back

togg

Quote from: Kharak on November 25, 2020, 10:38:06 AM
I use 8sinn cage with the (i think its called) scorpion top handle, got 4 hot shoe mounts in the handle plus screw mounts all over. With rails under the cage, i still have not managed to get a perfect balance. But with monitor placed on the back hotshoe on the handle, hip shooting is a breeze and very stable, but going one handed low is a tad too shaky for me.

I am currently looking for the classic Juicedlink RM333 (anyone know someone?), to be placed on the back end of the rails for a uniform front/back balance. Because adding a shotgun at the moment throws of the balance and having a zoom recorder under or on the side is just not working. (Plus they have the worst battery life and syncing is crap).
I am trying to increase the cameras "momentum" not sure if that is the right word, but the bigger the rig, the smaller the shakes, but too big and it becomes cumbersome, so its really about finding a balance between how heavy and balanced I want it.

I would just becareful about making your rig too wide, rather I would lenghten the rig for better movement.

Very interesting! Thanks. So you woul not put a wooden handle on the side? Can you share some pics of your config?

togg

Well, I've got a full set of smallrig using bf promotions. I'll see how it goes!

ChristianEOS

I would say the best is the DJI Ronin S Mark bones only uses a handle. And mlv  app has a stabilizer if you want to really save money
Christian Bruno James

Kharak

It depends on your shooting style, I personally don't like to hold the camera out in front of me, it creates too many shakes and with all the added gear it quickly becomes a heavy brick that shakes when I get tired.

If not shoulder mounted ofcourse, I usually keep the right hand on Top handle and left hand on focus wheel/lens barrel and shoot from the hip or chest. But the caveat is after a long day of staring down in to the monitor, the neck is gonna hurt.

You already have a side handle, I don't know about this wooden one, maybe it is better, but it looks like your rig will pull down on the left because of the center of gravity being placed where the camera sits, this will most likely cause more shakes for you as you battle the gravity pulling down to your left.
once you go raw you never go back

togg

Quote from: Kharak on December 10, 2020, 11:23:55 PM
It depends on your shooting style, I personally don't like to hold the camera out in front of me, it creates too many shakes and with all the added gear it quickly becomes a heavy brick that shakes when I get tired.

If not shoulder mounted ofcourse, I usually keep the right hand on Top handle and left hand on focus wheel/lens barrel and shoot from the hip or chest. But the caveat is after a long day of staring down in to the monitor, the neck is gonna hurt.

You already have a side handle, I don't know about this wooden one, maybe it is better, but it looks like your rig will pull down on the left because of the center of gravity being placed where the camera sits, this will most likely cause more shakes for you as you battle the gravity pulling down to your left.

Yea some of the shakiness is impossible to remove, I like the classic feeling of the shoulder mount but not for a longtime, not even when it's well done in big movies. Also for a very low profile crew no shoulder mount is a blessing.

Your handling and height is what I usually do as well, but sometimes having it higher is needed!

In the end I went with the blackfriday smallrig promotion and bought the whole set, cage + listed accessories, for around 160 euro. https://imgur.com/a/XtKoM4y It is waay more comfortable than the previous configuration. The tallness of the monitor on the handle can seems weird at first but it's OK for me, or you can put it lower, on the right.

dream951

5DIII crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2022May15.5D3123
Sigma Art 24/1.4 50/1.4 135/1.8 + Canon 24-105/4 70-200/4 + Samyang 8/3.5 + Helios 58-2