112 days, Melbourne celebrates the end of the second lockdown, 5Dmk3 3K

Started by bigW, October 30, 2020, 04:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigW

Made this video to document the day the second lockdown lasting 112 days is finally getting lifted.
Celebration of a joy of simple things in life, like spending more than 1h outside and finally being able to see friend (incl. those living more than 5k away).

Filmed with 5Dmk3,
3072x 1320, upscaled to 4K.
200-800 ISO, 23.976fps, 1/50 shutter speed
Canon 70-200 f2.8 + TC 2x
Canon 16-35 f4

Processed in Davinci Resolve 16 via MLVFS
Color grading: DCI-P3 Fujifilm 3513DI D60 LUT at 30% opacity (still contemplating whether I like version with the the LUT or softer and more vibrant original colours).
Raw setting: Color Space Rec.709, Gamma sRGB, minor tweaks in exposure, highlights and shadows
no sharpening or noise reduction added in post.

EDIT: Uploaded version with added sharpening as suggest be a few here. Thanks for pointing this out. It does make a visible difference. (plus highlight recovery setting I forgot to use in a few scenes, like the sunset one)

for reference older version without sharpening (or rather with default 10% in raw processing in Resolve).

IDA_ML

Nice work!  I wish, this day will come for Europe soon too. 
It's good to see that you used MLVFS and it worked so well in Resolve for you.  I use this workflow every time I need a quick result.  I would just add some sharpness in Resolve but that is just personal preference.

bigW

I hope so too. Many Australians have relatives overseas so this is dear to our hearts too.

MLVFS is a love/hate relationship. For grading I prefer this (especially for highlight recovery) over exporting to ProRes or adjusting in MLVApp. However when I generate the final output I need to reduce speed to even 5fps max speed for 3K footage as otherwise it just crashes. I think it is I/O that does not handle it. Its definitely better in 1080p but I might get dropped frames in render unless I limit to say 20 fps or less. Tried directly from CF card (Lexar UDMA7 1066x with Transcend USB3 reader), SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD but ultimately the most reliable is my SSD in my laptop.

Grognard

Nice but a little too soft at my taste.

Why don't you use 3,5k mode? Work as well and there is less crop factor (super35  look).

bigW

I think the softness might be related to YN TC 2x- not a greatest glass but wanted to give it a try (like the shot with big sun setting on the horizon at 2:35). Might have also not nailed the focus a few times and there is no sharpening in post. The wide angle lens looks sharper to me e.g. 0:55. Lets say I went for a softer cinematic look ;)

Yes, I should definitely try 3.5K plus the new full frame anamorphic mod. I found 3K (3072x1320) very stable at 14bit and the aspect ratio is good. I did not care for shallow depth of field. What exactly the resolution is for 3.5K, the aspect ratio and bit rate that works best? How long can you record for before it crashes and you need to take out the battery to start going again?

IDA_ML

Quote from: bigW on October 30, 2020, 11:07:57 AM
However when I generate the final output I need to reduce speed to even 5fps max speed for 3K footage as otherwise it just crashes. I think it is I/O that does not handle it.

Never had that issue and it is not likely to be attributed to MLVFS.   Resolve needs a powerful graphics card with at least 2 GB of GPU RAM to handle such files properly.  With my laptop render speed often drops to 0,5 fps but it typically runs without crashes.  When you are ready with grading and editing try to set your export options to Quicktime -> MPEG and it should run fine. 

Grognard

Quote from: bigW on October 30, 2020, 12:48:22 PM
What exactly the resolution is for 3.5K, the aspect ratio and bit rate that works best? How long can you record for before it crashes and you need to take out the battery to start going again?

With the latest Danne's Build. It's continuous in 12 bits, 2.39 or 2.35 in realtime crop preview, card spanning, and Sd hack enable (better results with sandisk 170mbs or 95 mbs).
pretty stable, no crash for me.

14 bits and a little higher vertical resolution should work too.

bigW

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 30, 2020, 01:50:54 PM
Never had that issue and it is not likely to be attributed to MLVFS.   Resolve needs a powerful graphics card with at least 2 GB of GPU RAM to handle such files properly.  With my laptop render speed often drops to 0,5 fps but it typically runs without crashes.  When you are ready with grading and editing try to set your export options to Quicktime -> MPEG and it should run fine.
Was never an issue on my old i5 is it was CPU limited. The new laptop (XPS 7950) is i7 9th gen, 32 GB Ram and GTX 1650 4GB ram so its way faster. I can render 15fps but there must be something with Resolve that causes it to crash or drop frames.

IDA_ML

Try the following:

Install the latest driver for your GPU.  Go to Preferences -> User -> Uncheck "Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed"

If that does not work, please try the "Open CL" in the GPU Processing option. 

bigW

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 31, 2020, 11:52:45 AM
Try the following:
Install the latest driver for your GPU.  Go to Preferences -> User -> Uncheck "Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed"
If that does not work, please try the "Open CL" in the GPU Processing option.
Thanks for the tips. I did a few quite a few tests of MLVFS/Resolve with different storage tiers (CF, SSDs) and got the following results:
* "Stop render" setting disabled helps to avoid crashes that normally interrupt processing and ending with a message "Render Job failed as the current clip could not be processed. The clip <clip_name> could not be decoded correctly. Please check if the clip is still available on the drive".
However the result in a final output still containing glitches - inserts of previous frame few frames later or a red screen frame with exclamation mark road sign and Media Offline message.
* Open CL looks to be doing a better job. However I believe this only as the render speed drops.
With Open CL 3K footage I get 10fps render, while CUDA does 15 or more fps. Also CUDA does way better job with a playback (especially combined with the fastest local SSD), that can go up to 24fps. If I drop render speed tp 10fps in CUDA, I get no crashes either and consistent footage. Should be fine, just a shame cant use all the horse-power of the computer.

IDA_ML

Well, it looks like your SSD is the bottle neck. If that is the case, you could make a RAM disk, (google it, its free), to use part of your RAM as a virtual hard drive which is much faster than the SSD.  You pack all your media on that RAM drive and have Resolve read it from there.  All you have to do when you finish is save your work elsewhere because if you leave it on the RAM drive and power down your computer, then everything on the RAM drive is gone forever!

I process and render my footage with Resolve 16 on a 7-years old Dell workstation M6800 with an i7 CPU, a 4GB GPU and 32 GB of RAM.  I use 20 GB of it as a RAM disk and let Resolve read my source media from there using MLVFS.  It runs like crazy even with 5k anamorphic footage from ML and I am very happy with it.   When using noise reduction, stabilization and optical flow, render speed may drop down to 0,5 fps but it runs and runs until it gets the job done. Render speeds on just normally processed and color graded footage, exported at 4k resolution, are typically between 5 and 12 fps.  Never had the stability problems that you are experiencing.  The only thing that I am missing is the H.265 codec which provides very compact files.  My GPU (M3100K) is too old for that codec and does not support it.