Geotagging using Smartphone GPS on Canon EOS-800D

Started by rowan.bradley, October 28, 2020, 02:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowan.bradley

I have recently bought a Canon EOS-800D DSLR. I very much want to arrange things so that all the photos that I take can be automatically geotagged with their location. I would prefer to do this in the camera as the photo is stored. Having to remember every time I take a photo to do the following is too much to guarantee that it happens every time, so I end up with a proportion of my photos not geotagged (often the ones where the photo opportunity arose unexpectedly).
1. Make sure that I have my phone with me and that it is fully charged, turned on and that the GPS logging app is running.
2. If I am going for a full day's hiking, take my power bank with me, fully charged, and the USB lead to connect to the phone (the phone battery won't last a whole day with GPS on).
3. Make sure the clock on my camera and phone are exactly synchronised.
4. Upload the photos and the GPS track to the PC.
5. Run the program that geotags the photos using the GPS track.
I don't want to buy the Canon GPS device GP-E1 or GP-E2 because (a) it is outrageously expensive, and (b) I already have a GPS in my phone, so why buy another, and (c) I understand that these do not work with DSLR cameras.
So my question is, is the EOS-800D capable of geotagging photos in situ (i.e. in the camera's memory)? Ideally there should be a continuous background process which is receiving the GPS data from the phone via Bluetooth, and recording the latest coordinates. Can the camera's existing Bluetooth system do this, or will I need to add another Bluetooth receiver? Each time a photo is taken, the camera should read the coordinates from where they are stored by the GPS receiving process, and write them into the geotags of the photo. Could camera firmware be developed to do this? Could this be part of the MagicLantern project? Is there any existing code that would help get this done? Is this something that I could attempt?

Thank you - Rowan