Sardegna (UHD and 5K with 5D3)

Started by wib, October 07, 2020, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wib

Summer holidays in september, thanks to covid-19.

Big challenge : take only one lens to travel, an old 35mm IFBagon (I also talk about it here) and no laptop to carry to unload the cards, So I tried to not shoot too much :D

No ND filter available for this lens but anyway the shutter speed was close to 1/50 (sometimes 1/100) to keep the nice motion blur WE ALL LOVE.
But you guess it can be blown out very quickly. I closed the iris at the max (about f/22) which made the image even more sharper despite the optical defects of the lens (in the corners, like a "blur vignet", it's more visible in the wider shots)

It's mission impossible to stay stable, excepted for the "quiet landscape views" where I could just put the camera over a small wall, pointing to the far horizon. All was handheld but stabilised in post. More on that bellow.

70% of the shots were recorded with the preset UHD 3840x1536. I had set the raw preview on frozen live view and as Paul Heran mentionned in his lovely Seattle videos, the preview was actually not broken but in B&W. I could easily switch between cropped real time preview and correct framing (slow and B&W) with m-Fn button or halfway shutter release button (of course in manual focus of not your camera will try to focus. Anyway that lens can't auto focus)
The wider shots were in 5K anamorphic and with the same aspect ratio (although I had to zoom in a little bit to reframe there was a black line on top, it's not exaaaaactly the same ratio)

the build used (rolling druuuums) : Dannes's crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Aug15.5D3113 and thank you for all the amount of work.

If you're fan of stats here are some : 3 CF cards (2x64 Gb and 1x128 Gb, all komputerbay x1060) and in order to use card spanning to make this thing work, my SD card is a SDXC SanDisk Extreme PRO 128 Go (170 Mb/s, Classe 10, U3, V30, 4K UHD). I had 4 batteries, but I generally used only 1-2 per day that I recharged at night. Pour holidays were 7 days but it's approx. 3-4 days of shoot, and the cards were full and there was a total of 16 min recorded.

So the workflow is the following :
MLV App to export as DNG and no more :)

DaVinci Resolve 16 for the editing and at the same time color correct, starting with a base of Hunter's LUT (I decided to try it instead of eoshd's lut) and in order to that the rightway, you have to set first how the raw will be interpreted in DaVinci. here is a screen shot of the settings. and finally color grading, set the WB cooler, adjust the skin tones, the blue of the sea... not to much. I reduced the noise of the only night shot. The aerial shots were done with a DJI Mavic Mini. I found a way to lower the visual quality and over sharpness of the drone shots to help matching the 5K organic aspect with DaVinci's tool.

After-Effects 2020 was the best alternative to stabilise the shots, as it a real catastrophic nightmare in DR. Only Adobe's Warp stabilizer could handle perfectly the shots because of the strong rolling shutter. It was impossible for DR to stabilise it properly with introduce strange jittering moves. In after, I set the strengh to 2-5%.

And finally as always, I added a grain footage over all the render to give a finished touch.

Feel free to ask me anything !
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

GullRaDriel

Hello, first: nice video and thanks for sharing your settings with it !

Now the questions ^^ :
-have you tried Danne's latest since the august 15 build ?
-When you shot on anamorphic, what kind of lens have you used ?
-Were you using sd overclock ?

One more time I thanks you for sharing your experience with us.

wib

Hello, first: nice video and thanks for sharing your settings with it !

You're welcome!

have you tried Danne's latest since the august 15 build ?

Yes I have, and the new 3.5K preset allows higher definition, it's great. it's just that the 15th aug. version was the one that was available at the time of the trip.

When you shot on anamorphic, what kind of lens have you used ?

The same lens, 35mm. it's only about the "anamorphic" preset that allow to be more full frame POV without crop (as opposed to the 3K & 4K presets in which you have to be cropped). It's recorded squeezed. Please check these screen shots https://imgur.com/a/8c0ofcB

When you open that shot in MLV app it automatically apply a strech, but when exported as DNG, you have apply on your editing software the stretching to retrieve the original ratio.

Were you using sd overclock ?

Yes, and the rate of filling the sd card was low so I was confident to only have to swap the CF, and lucky too because I had only one SD (vs 3 CF cards). Let me explain :
On the CF cards, the "main" MLV file was written, and "secondary" MLV files (such as M00, M01...) were going to the SD and because they were very heavy in file size.
I hope I was clear.

One more time I thanks you for sharing your experience with us.

Thx !
And I wish to thank also everyone else to continue to share their experiences as well :)

GullRaDriel

Wow. Thanks for the informations, I wasn't aware of the automation between anamorphic and MLVapp, and I was thinking a real anamorphic lens was needed to record. Big news, I have moar tests to do ^^

Danne

Have bad connection here but managde to look at the beginning. Opening shot, opening chord. Majestic!

masc

Nice video!

Quote from: wib on October 07, 2020, 08:01:17 PM
When you open that shot in MLV app it automatically apply a strech, but when exported as DNG, you have apply on your editing software the stretching to retrieve the original ratio.

That is a "Resolve-only-bug" or standard behaviour. All other applications (that I know) will read the stretching metadata inside the cDNG and stretch it automatically, because MLVApp saves it inside the cDNG.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Yes default scale tag. Even dcraw reads it. Funnily premiere pro doesn´t, but then again they have not optimized their own nle to read their own cdng format. Funny.

masc

Premiere also doesn't read? Haha. But Lightroom and After Effects read it, as well as RawTherapee, Mac Preview, Lyn, Xee, Darktable, ...! :D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

paulheran

Wib! This turned out amazing, man. So good. The trip looked really fun and the shots are beautiful. I can't believe the image quality you were able to get with the 5D and Mavic mini! Well done.
5D3 113 | 16-35 2.8 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS

wib

Thank you ! I was deeply inspired by your videos arround Seattle to go further into pixel peeping art :)

wib

Quote from: masc on October 07, 2020, 09:49:32 PM
Nice video!

All other applications (that I know) will read the stretching metadata inside the cDNG and stretch it automatically, because MLVApp saves it inside the cDNG.

Really ? I haven' t tried "ML DNG" on Premiere, as the playback isn't as smooth as in DR. Is the desqueezing rendered as clean as wuth MLV app (compared to DR resize artifacts) ?

noipego

music by Chris Coleman & Tony Anderson: Eschaton. Its always ''cool'' to credit the music artists in our videos. Nice video btw :)

wib

Thanks. You're right ! I generally publish on youtube and the songs are automatically tagged in the description, but I forgot to do so on Vimeo.

Also, when using content from Musicbed (which I pay a subscription) I'm not required to credit the artist or Musicbed.

i welcome your suggestion, and from now on I will add the credit also directly in the video :)

LoO93

Once again...

Everything is great about this video. The quality, your colors, your composition, no overcasted skies, your blues, the symbiosis with the music... Damn.

But dude, QUIT THE FREAK!NG DRONE SHOTS!

Why destroy this piece with some overrated drone shots ?! They just don't fit at all and completely break the vibe:
Your great camera work really allows us viewers to feel like being on site and then u completely annihilate this great feeling with some imperialistic aerial shots, which snatch us completely back to reality since we're reminded by them, that is just a video...

Please forgive my hard words, but the love for your work made me do it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: LoO93 on December 24, 2020, 10:06:58 AM

Why destroy this piece with some overrated drone shots ?!

Nothing wrong with a drone shots. I assume it's up to your personal taste.
IMHO it's nice and adds special vibe  ;) 
Cheers
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

allemyr

Hi wib,

What grain did you use? Cinegrain or built in Resolve grain? Or similar product?
Nice grade! Vimeo does a good job preserving the quality especially from the grain.

wib

Quote from: allemyr on December 25, 2020, 12:32:19 PM
What grain did you use? Cinegrain or built in Resolve grain? Or similar product?

the answer was here ;) :

Quote from: wib on October 07, 2020, 05:56:03 PM
as always, I added a grain footage over all the render to give a finished touch.

To elaborate : It's a stock footage. I apply it over all the rendered export from DR, at the step of stabilisation in After Effect. It's a simple grain stock footage like one you can find here : https://tdcat.com/downloads/filmgrain

Vimeo does a good job preserving [...] the grain.

Sure it does that's why I prefer uploading to Vimeo :)

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on December 24, 2020, 11:41:50 AM
Nothing wrong with a drone shots. I assume it's up to your personal taste.
IMHO it's nice and adds special vibe  ;) 
Cheers

Yes :) It's already incredible that I'm able to do it with a entry drone like the DJI Mini 1 :)

Quote from: LoO93 on December 24, 2020, 10:06:58 AM
Once again...

Why destroy this piece with some overrated drone shots ?! They just don't fit at all and completely break the vibe:
Your great camera work really allows us viewers to feel like being on site and then u completely annihilate this great feeling with some imperialistic aerial shots, which snatch us completely back to reality since we're reminded by them, that is just a video...

Please forgive my hard words, but the love for your work made me do it.

Thank you for your understanding.

It is what it is, just a video where I record the mood I personally felt while on site, with the goal to offer various angles.

TBH I feel lucky just to be able to do all of that. Using a drone to capture shots that can look descent is my own pleasure. I don't see why I wouldn't use two or three aerial shots in my own movie. I am aware that such things labelled as drone movies are quickly overrated. I always try to avoid crazy stereotyped 40s long 360° shots of the same spot... To me a drone is another camera, just higher from the ground, that I intend to use with simple moves like pan, tilt, going forward...

If you are curious about my though on correctly using the camera of a drone I did a youtube video (in french but with EN subs) here :

https://youtu.be/2no78hM_k54

wib

Quote from: noipego on December 17, 2020, 03:21:06 PM
Its always ''cool'' to credit the music artists in our videos.

I modified the vimeo's description and here is the complete list of the songs if you're interested :

"By the grave" by Anton Belov
"Eschaton" by Chris Coleman (rework by Tony Anderson)
"Seen" by Chris Coleman
"The epilogue" (instrumental) by Chptrs

whitelight

2nd time I come to watch this and find it really excellent, locations, footage, music, all well chosen and thought out.
BTW, I think the drone shots fit very well IMO