A Bit of Norway - Canon EOS M 2.5K Raw Lossless

Started by loknar, September 25, 2020, 05:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loknar

As every year I went to Norway for a bit. But this time I took my Canon EOS M loaded with MagicLantern.
I used MLVFS to provides files to DaVinci Resolve 15.

IDA_ML

loknar

Thank you. Flexibility of Raw image processing is unbelievable...as is nature in Norway.

bern047

Truly stunning footage of Norway and the excellent results you have obtained with this little camera the EOS M and magic lantern, well done

loknar

Stousen

Incredible!!
Please tell us more. What settings did you use? Lenses? ND filters?

Cheers!

loknar

Thank you.
Settings 2.5K 2.39:1 mode, 12-bit lossless, other ML settings at default. ML build from 24.3.2019.
Lens wise I had:
Canon EF-S 10-18 mm f/4,5-5,6 IS
Canon EF-S 50mm f/1,8
Samyang 85/1.4
+EF-M -> EF-S adapter
and from a friend i borrowed Camera Suction Cup Car Mount (all moving shots)
other than that I started with portable tripod but unfortunately almost immediately lost it (that's why most shots are handheld, though stabilized).

IDA_ML

Loknar,

May I suggest that the next time you go to Norway, you try the 1736x2928 full resolution anamorphic mode at 16 fps and 12 bits lossless?  It provides stunning results in rendering finest detail and scales down to 4k really nicely.  Even with Dual ISO in high-contrast scenes you will be surprised by the image quality and dynamic range.  And don't fear the 16 fps!  This low cadence works perfectly with the type of slowly moving landscape shots that you film.  Plus, you have 1x crop factor!

loknar

As a matter of fact at the beginning of this year I tdid some comparison shots between 2.5K and 4/5K Anamorphic and my inner pixelpeeper liked 2.5K more. Also I like simple processing like MLV -> Resolve -> video and I thought that I'd need to use MLV App as an intermediary...(it didn't occurred to me untit now, that Resolve knows how to process sources with non-square pixels).
And given the advancements since then I intend to do another round comparing 2.8K and 5K anamorphic.
As for fps, Resolve has excellent interpolation they call "Optical flow" which works really well as long as whole numbers are used as multipliers 15->30. 16 -> 48, 20 ->60, so that wouldn't be a problem (although it feels like cheating).

IDA_ML

Lokner,

Today I filmed on the 100D a short test video out of my window to check video quality in its 1128x1900 anamorphic mode.  Since I am pretty bad at pixel peeping, I was wondering if you might be willing to take a look at the video and let me know if there is anything that you do not like about the video quality.  In my opinion, the video is literary aliasing free and rendering fine detail is quite good.  But I may be wrong.  That is why I should appreciate also other opinions.  Here is the download link which will be active in the next 7 days:

https://we.tl/t-YHIgOJZCCA

sm105

You can definitely see some aliasing with closely-spaced vertical lines. If you look at the window frames of the buildings in the mid-ground of the first shot, you can see the vertical lines shifting left/right between pixels. It's not really noticeable in the second shot. Last shot has aliasing on the goal posts in the top background and moire on the white fence in the middle of the frame. You could test out the same shots with a tripod, and I bet it would look much better!

loknar

Well, sm105 is faster, i'd have the exact same comment (although i would use "dancing goalposts"). I admit that vercital aliasing wouldn't be much of a problem in nature. Also there is certain overall "mushiness".
I dig up my test shots from earlier this year, and while not directly comparable (different focal length) anamorphic exercise same mushiness.

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot, guys.  I hope, we will have full-resolution 5k anamorphic on the 100D some day and this will further reduce aliasing and mushiness.  Footage from other cameras as the EOS-M and the 5D3, filmed in that mode, looks gorgeous on a high-quality large screen even when watched from a small distance (less than 1 m).  I love it because of the 1x crop factor and much smaller files that are faster and easier to process and render while quality degradation is in most practical cases barely perceptible.  Finally, nobody watches films while pixel peeping at 100% magnification, right?

loknar

I also noticed, that on close up shots (let's say 10 m max) there aren't problems with detail even now and footage is almost indiscernible from non anamorphic, it's slightly softer, but that may be even desirable.

IDA_ML

Yes, the most problematic 1x3 shots in terms of aliasing are at 10 to 30mm focal length.  Such shots should be filmed in one of the 1x1 modes.  Anything above 30 mm provides excellent anamorphic results, even at infinity, and I wouldn't hesitate filming them in anamorphic.