Short film 5d Mark iii full HD raw

Started by Grognard, September 17, 2020, 06:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grognard

Here is a short film I made on 5Diii with classic fullhd raw. It was shot as a documentary with almost only handly shots and a microphone fixed on the camera...
Not the best quality compared to new 3,5k mode ! But full HD still worth.

French, dutch, english and welsh langage with english subtitles.

Ps: sound still need mixing

Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/386021883
pw: coulet

Kharak

Loved it!

Technical note: some scenes were a bit too over exposed, didn't look like they were overexposed in camera, just the general exposure pushed too much. The grade matches across the film, but exposure is jumping a bit (in some scenes, match the scenes and mix the sound and you'll have a great film for the festivals, if that is your thing.

Also 5D3 raw upscales very nicely with the right algorithm.

Good luck.
once you go raw you never go back

Grognard

Quote from: Kharak on September 18, 2020, 10:38:20 PM
Loved it!

Technical note: some scenes were a bit too over exposed, didn't look like they were overexposed in camera, just the general exposure pushed too much. The grade matches across the film, but exposure is jumping a bit (in some scenes, match the scenes and mix the sound and you'll have a great film for the festivals, if that is your thing.

Also 5D3 raw upscales very nicely with the right algorithm.

Good luck.

Thank you for your feedback! yep ... postproduction needed.
I know there is some jumps in exposure, i have to improve the colour editing, i pasted the attributs and it doesn't fit very well on each shot and i balanced quickly.
but there is no overexposed.
otherwise not enough light on some shots but it was a choice to use no equipement. My next short film will be shoot in 5k anamorphic with more technic!

Wich algorithm is the best for upscaling do you think ?

Thank you!

Best regards
Max

Kharak

I run dng through Resolve, so I am "stuck" with resolve super scale which is really good and fast compared to others I've tried, but some parts of some scenes might get extreme staircase or digital burns in for instance window frames or lamps with a shade on, so I use Boris FX or Fusion to fix it, only the really bad ones. 9/10 a normal viewer doesn't see the aliasing or quirks like we do.

There are other way better algorithms, sorry i can not remember from the top of my head. but its 3rd party software or processes requiring transcoding back and forth. Personally I am satisfied with super scale, cause I can stay in resolve and make quick work of it.

The downside to Super Scale is that it scales the noise substantially, but you can make noise profiles in Neat Video from a base Super Scale noise sample and apply that profile to all footage and you have super clean and way more detailed image.

Super scale upscales 5d3 footage up to 2.5k with great enhancements, but upscaling to 3k, 4k or higher only intensifies all processes without gaining any more detail.

Neat Video on the other hand benefits extremely well from having the project in 4k or higher. Think of it has giving neat video 4 times more pixels per pixel to remove and replace with actual information. But 4 times more processor intensive ofc.

So i stick to 2.5k projects.
once you go raw you never go back