Experimental Real-Time Correct Framing Preview

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 10, 2020, 03:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

The OP was updated in 13-6-2021

I loved shooting in Higher resolution Modes with ML, I hated the cropped Preview in these Modes, that was the major pain for me, The Preview . .
I spent the last three weeks trying to understand How Preview registers works, hopefully I would get something, and I got it:

Introducing the New Expanded Real-Time preview in x5 Mode

650D / 700D: This build
EOS M: This build from Danne (Thanks!)

Features:
1- Real-Time Responsive Preview as Normal 1080p Mode preview.
2- Accurate Aspect Ratio out of the box, No ML Global Draw is needed.
3- No slowness and No overhead, which means no corrupted frames and no drops in write speed.
4- Accurate Framing Preview if you consider there will be data in the right instead of Black Bar.
5- Works on HDMI monitors too.

Known Limitations:
-Black Bar in the right instead of the right part of actual RAW data.

Notes:
-The Preview is in the Top Part of the screen, not centered on screen.
-You may compare ML Framing vs The New Preview to trust it.
-Turn OFF Global Draw for better Preview. (Edit: No longer needed on 650D / 700D builds).
-Feel the responsive.
-Instead Normal of x5 Mode Preview? Wow!
-Still working on Black Bar limit.

Q&A
1-What about Higher Resolutions like 3K, 4K?
-Didn't try yet, I guess it should work, at least we could get the new preview for Normal x5 Mode (2520x1080) and apply it on 3K resolution, but with more Black Area in the right and cropped height.

2-1x3 Binning Mode?
-Something still puzzling me for increasing the Height Preview in None-Zoom Modes, no luck yet, However 1x3 Mode is more important to me compared to x5 Mode, I am working on it hardly.

Edit: Yes it works, you will find 1x3 presets with real-time correct framing preview in custom crop_rec builds, currently it's only for 650D / 700D / EOS M.

3-Other Cameras?
-This development and research started on 700D, fortunately EOS M has benefited too, because it has Identical registers and values as in 700D, no further modifications happened, same preset Works on both cams, also 650D might be identical and 100D might be very similar (I can take a look for 100D, 650D if registers were the same, let me know if there a volunteer), However 5D3 doesn't share the same set of registers, 6D also might be different, I can't work on other cameras, Sorry, I don't have them.

4-You got correct Aspect Ratio for this Preview without ML Anamorphic setting, Could we use same method for correcting Aspect Ratio instead of ML Anamorphic setting to be used for Anamorphic Lenses?
- Yes, we can fix Aspect Ratio without ML Global Draw, with very responsive LiveView.

5- I am photographer?
-I am not here.

6-Is it possible to make 1080p 1:1 preset in Crop Mode with Real-Time Correct-Framing preview?
-Yes, Let me know if you need it. (Edit: We did it, 1920x1280p 1:1 preset).

-Let's keep this thread for testing and sharing thoughts about this topic, this development started from LiveView Investigation.

Have fun.

2blackbar

Im interested with 6, i have cctv lens for 1/2'' sensor thats about 16mm camera or 2/3'' sensor size, and i used 2.5k mode then reduced to 1920x1080 but still it wasnt realtime preview, would be nice to have HD 1920x1080 realtime preview mode, kinda like digital 16mm HD RAW camera, crop is about the same as 16mm film.
But i had to center it myself in M sourcecode cause 2.5k mode isnt centered precisely at the moment also you could fine tune framing by touching small arrows/triangles onscreen to get rid of vignetting and have it perfectly centered.

guerchi

It's working in my EOS M. Fantastic! It's a great leap forward to facilitate framing in 2.5k 

Right now in the bottom part of the image I see a noisy pattern or a fragment of the last image captured with a 1 sec or less looped video, strange effect  :o

Well I'll be here, available for testing :D

Danne

Push menu button to get white bottom noise instead  8).

LeandroFreitas

@theBilalFakhouri I have 650D if you want to experiment its running Danne´s last build for 650D crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun30.650D104

Danne

Could you test using this mlv_lite.mo in your build?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/raw2mlv/downloads/mlv_lite.mo

Turn off crop rec and then enter x5zoom. Should enable the registers.

guerchi

Quote from: Danne on September 10, 2020, 08:00:17 PM
Push menu button to get white bottom noise instead  8).
Thanks Danne! that works. I'm not sure which I prefer, the loop although distracting has its charm  :P

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: guerchi on September 10, 2020, 10:57:57 PM
Thanks Danne! that works. I'm not sure which I prefer, the loop although distracting has its charm  :P

You can also try turning off crop_rec, get into x5 mode, cover the lens with your hand to prevent the light completely, turn on crop_rec with preview preset, a black border in the bottom :D

theBilalFakhouri

Looking at log from 650D, it shares identical registers and values, Preview confirmed working on 650D by @LeandroFreitas, you can use this mlv_lite from Danne for 650D, also works on 700D, updated the first post for 650D.

Danne

x5x

Works for me but the preview freezes. Was able to continuing recording but with a frozen preview.

theBilalFakhouri

New Modes with Correct Preview:

1- 1x3 Anamorphic *1504x1782 ~2.50:1 AR (4512x1782 After de-squeezing):

- *1504x1782 is the sweet spot for the preview.
- I call this the Quality Mode.

2- 1:1 Crop Mode 1920x1280p:

-You can set 1920x1080p from mlv_lite (@2blackbar), the preview would be 3:2, adding black bars in the top and in the bottom is very easy using ML Global Draw and mlv_lite.

-The presets with the new previews should be applied in x5 Mode.
-Updated download link in the first post with the new presets for 700D, on EOS M it's coming too, wait until the new build from Danne, should be soon ;)

-Instead of single crop_rec file, from now on I will make complete builds for 700D with the latest developments.

Well, Have fun :D 1x3 Binning with un-stretched correct preview :D

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

IDA_ML

Genious work, Bilal!  These new preview modes are a real game changer. Thank you so much.

Danne

New eos m build here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg230947#msg230947

Whatever you have working with 1x3 real time preview should hold the answer to the black bar in x5 2.5 preview I think? In 1x3 preview we get the full x5 width. Should be possible to apply similarly to x5 zoom 2.5k preset too.

Danne

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: andy kh on September 17, 2020, 04:39:19 AM
Superb
:D

Quote from: IDA_ML on September 17, 2020, 06:42:27 AM
Genious work, Bilal!  These new preview modes are a real game changer. Thank you so much.
Thanks!, it is :), By the way, do you still have your 100D? I can check if these presets would work on 100D out of the box

Quote from: Danne on September 17, 2020, 06:55:08 AM
Whatever you have working with 1x3 real time preview should hold the answer to the black bar in x5 2.5 preview I think? In 1x3 preview we get the full x5 width. Should be possible to apply similarly to x5 zoom 2.5k preset too.
The Black Bar limit appears if we attempt to process more than ~2048 RAW data width in LiveView, the preview is limited somehow to ~2048, in 1x3 preset we are processing less than that which is 1504 width, also in 1920x1280p is less than 2048 width limit, unlike 2520x1080, this exceed the limit, resulting with a Black Bar

Quote from: LeandroFreitas on September 17, 2020, 08:27:24 AM
What iam i doing wrong here?  https://imgur.com/a/jcbbjkA
https://imgur.com/a/LgoRYNX
Sounds okay, that's it, compare ML Framing with the New preview.

Danne

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 17, 2020, 08:59:04 AM
The Black Bar limit appears if we attempt to process more than ~2048 RAW data width in LiveView, the preview is limited somehow to ~2048, in 1x3 preset we are processing less than that which is 1504 width, also in 1920x1280p is less than 2048 width limit, unlike 2520x1080, this exceed the limit, resulting with a Black Bar
Aha, so maybe that´s it. Nothing to do perhaps. Could we get 2048x1280?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on September 17, 2020, 09:12:56 AM
Could we get 2048x1280?

I think it's possible, even with a little more height I guess, will try it soon

2blackbar

fantasticwork , i was thinking... if theres this limit that createsblack area , would it be possible to add second view( like when we use extra preview window for focus in magic zoom) andcreate entire frame from 2 views, so second one would be on top of black part of the image? code from magic zoom but without zoom, and use it to diaplay missing area in its proper scale.

theBilalFakhouri

@2blackbar

Unfortunately, Not possible, this not how things work.
Magic Zoom gets its stream from YUV HD path (Main Preview Stream) which has the Black Bar limit, so we are not gaining anything here, However the Black Bar is not a hardware limit, should be narrowed down and fixed, no idea how to solve it, yet :)

Grognard

If the Black Bar limit appears when we attempt to process more than 2048 RAW data width in LiveView. Maybe we could "move" this black bar to show the other side of the frame and then switch between these two previews.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Grognard on September 17, 2020, 10:16:40 AM
If the Black Bar limit appears when we attempt to process more than 2048 RAW data width in LiveView. Maybe we could "move" this black bar to show the other side of the frame and then switch between these two previews.

Worth trying :D

IBIRRU

Some good guy could compile a build for EOS 700D 115? ;)

Lots of thanks for your great work!

Sorry I found it  in the first post :)

EOS 700D 1.1.5, EOS 500D