Washington Ferry | 5D MKIII | Danne's Build 3840x1536

Started by paulheran, September 06, 2020, 06:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulheran

I put together some shots from recent experiments with Danne's build in UHD 3840x1536. This boat is the Washington State Ferry line between Seattle and Bainbridge Island. Shot over a few evenings, but I tried to match the colors to make it feel like it could be from one day.

https://vimeo.com/455165106

Shoot:

Build: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Aug11.5D3113
Camera: Canon 5D MKIII
Lenses: Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS, Canon 24-70 F2.8
Accessories: SLR Magic Variable ND filter, Manfrotto BeFree Tripod legs with BeFree Live head

Post Process:

MLV APP - export MLV files to CDNG
DaVinci Resolve - edit, color, export

Thanks for watching.

5D3 113 | 16-35 2.8 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS

Grognard

Nice shots, beautiful colours, beautiful Mountain !
How many seconds did you get before stop?

paulheran

Quote from: Grognard on September 06, 2020, 07:06:03 PM
Nice shots, beautiful colours, beautiful Mountain !
How many seconds did you get before stop?

Thank you, Grognard. I had a few strange issues where the SD card wouldn't write fast enough to keep up for more than a few seconds (3-4 seconds). But after turning off camera, taking out battery, taking out sd/cf card, and re-insterting It acted normal and was able to record for 20-30 seconds (that's usually as long as I needed to record, I rarely record longer than that). I always have sd overclocking and card spanning on.

allemyr

Had to start up my desktop pc to watch this on 4k screen. How beautiful this 4k detailing is, it feels like a good looking grain thats generate an image that looks stunning with high detail without close to looking to sharp. Good looking compositions, and that grade dealing with highlight rolloff and very good looking dynamic range that has a perfect contrast and not close to looking flat, the grade is very well excecuted. This is the best ML footage I ever seen. Your workflow from start to finish has everything, from recording settings in camera and post workflow. Thank you for making this short film it was a pure joy to watch!

Cool to see that MLV app CDNG export to Resolve where everything else is done. Thanks for making!

allemyr

What bit depth and framerate is this shot at by the way?

paulheran

Quote from: allemyr on September 08, 2020, 06:39:19 PM
What bit depth and framerate is this shot at by the way?

Thank you for the positive feedback, allemyr. I am very happy with the workflow and IQ coming from this build. It was mostly 12bit at 23.976. I dropped down to 10bit for some shots when the SD card was running slow.

allemyr

Yeah, you would get so much more comments if the forum was as active as few years ago.
I really like your grading especially then the cars is driving out from the ferry for example, able to show how the "curves" or what it is looks like?
Maybe you could raise the white level from 16200 to 16383 in MLVapp before export DNGs for improved highlights rolloff in Resolve from highest and maybe avoid som pink tones idk. When using Resolve I have seen it makes a difference espasially when using older builds with 15000 white level.

What else to say... I really like the grade, feeling inspired to film something similar with great tones from sky and water, but in 1080p since I'am not that advanced :)