Brand New 5D3 with kit Lens 24-105mmL F4 IS

Started by reddeercity, September 04, 2020, 05:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

I being looking for a new/good used camera for the last few mouths , thought about a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K
I kind of like the S35 sensor , but it looks cheaply build so i'm not sure ...

Then i thought about the EOS R or RP , at least it's got 4k uncompressed HDMI , but then i need a new 4k recorder ($800-1000)

I start to drift towards the 5D IV , there on sale now ($2,900 cnd.) advandages : true 24p 4k MJpeg (422 8bit) which is good & clean 1080p 60 uncompressed 422 8bit ,
and the possibility that ML maybe fully ported in the near future ( I can help contribute to that effort if i get a 5d4) .

But then I came across a Brand New "Open Box" 5D3 with the kit lens (24-105mm IS) 
for $2,990 cnd , I've seen the lens go for around $1000.0 so that make the the brand new 5d3 camera worth $2000.0
As i can always use a good wide IS lens , I'm in kind of a dilemma  :-\

I guess the question I like to ask is how good is the 24-105mm IS kit Lens ?
Is it worth $1000 ?
I know the 5D3 is worth $2000 special that it's brand new .
Are there any 5D3 user's out there that use the kit lens and like it ?
This will make or break the deal for me 

5D3:
Advandages: I can install ML and have 10bit 4k raw video + other great features e.g. dual iso video, .. right now
Disadvandages: weak 4k liveveiw preview & HDMI .

Also are there any 5D4 user's who can tell me if there like the camera ?
The good & the bad .

yourboylloyd

Do you NEED the 24-105mm?

I completely get it. It's Canon's sharpest lens. But on the flip side, the 28-135mm IS f3.5-f5.6 can do almost everything that the 24-105mm can do and it's a good lens. There's some CA but it's not terrible.

There's also the Canon 24-85mm which also is really sharp.

If you go for that option, just get the R6 with that lens and a couple good primes. Should be set for under $3k. (AND you can help me because I have the R6 and you're Mr. Developer guy and because I NEEEEEED YOU!!! :D )
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

IDA_ML

Reddeercity,

In your situation and given this excellent price, I would definitely go for the 5D3.  I have some experience with that camera with ML on it and it really provides stunning quality results, especially in the high-resolution anamorphic modes whose quality is barely distinguishable from the 1:1  ones.  Furthermore, ML on it is very stable and reliable and camera never overheats with it.  The 24-105mmL F4 IS is a very good universal lens but it is a bit heavy and bulky and not very convenient for hanheld and gimbal work.  I would sell it and buy the 24/2,8 IS and the 35/2 IS lenses instead - pretty light and small and perfect for low-light hand held work.   My favorite lens for such situations is the 85/1,4 L IS.  It provides the most beautiful portrait video images that I have ever seen and is not so expensive like the R lenses for example.  For extreme wide angle shots, the 17-40/4L does an excellent job and is pretty light and inexpelsive too.

Get yourself the 5D3, put ML on it and you will never be disappointed!  And if one day the miracle happens and we have ML working on the 5D4 you can still replace the 5D3 with it.

Volumetrik

Is there any need for a new 5D3 ?

I've seen here in Montréal, good condition, low shutter-count 5D3's going for 1.3-1.5k cad. I snagged mine for 1000 cad with a non-functional 24-105 that I repaired and later sold, but I consider that a fluke. My 5D3 is super beaten up, rough around the edges and with 107k+90K shutter actuations, and still works super well. I don't think getting a new or open-box 5D3 is worth it in my opinion, when you can save 500 to 700 cad getting a low shutter used 5D3. If you resell it, you get 1.5k anyways, so why incur the $500 depreciation ?

Can't comment on the 24-105, I only repaired it to resell it, but it seemed big and heavy for my use.

5D3 ML video is absolutely fantastic as you know, but the live-view is only truly usable on 1080p. Other modes you have framing live view which then becomes much harder to focus with for hand held work +run & gun.

71m363nd3r

it's simple.

listen  buy a used 5D markIII with low shutter count, if you gona use it just for video then shutter count is so not important.
if you gonna record (static) on tripod then 24-105mm is verygood lens, if you think to walk with it then use some prime lens, use light lenses 50mm 1.8, 40mm pancake, 85mm etc.

buy a used or better broken lens 24-105mm if you have just few skils to open the lens and to change the diaphragm part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtT9tZyXtKo

Aperture Science

Quote from: IDA_ML on September 04, 2020, 08:07:36 AM
Reddeercity,

In your situation and given this excellent price, I would definitely go for the 5D3.  I have some experience with that camera with ML on it and it really provides stunning quality results, especially in the high-resolution anamorphic modes whose quality is barely distinguishable from the 1:1  ones.  Furthermore, ML on it is very stable and reliable and camera never overheats with it.  The 24-105mmL F4 IS is a very good universal lens but it is a bit heavy and bulky and not very convenient for hanheld and gimbal work.  I would sell it and buy the 24/2,8 IS and the 35/2 IS lenses instead - pretty light and small and perfect for low-light hand held work.   My favorite lens for such situations is the 85/1,4 L IS.  It provides the most beautiful portrait video images that I have ever seen and is not so expensive like the R lenses for example.  For extreme wide angle shots, the 17-40/4L does an excellent job and is pretty light and inexpelsive too.

Get yourself the 5D3, put ML on it and you will never be disappointed!  And if one day the miracle happens and we have ML working on the 5D4 you can still replace the 5D3 with it.

The truth, I picked 5D3 instead of 5D4 is only because 5D3 have ML on board :D
A Canon DSLR without ML is not complete for me to say.