Pausing College for a While So Let Me Introduce Myself. (Hi ML Community!)

Started by lunarlumens, August 29, 2020, 11:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunarlumens

Hello to everyone here on the ML community! I'd like to say in advance that I do apologize if there's any inconsistencies with my English. Tried my best to be concise on this one but still keep in mind that English isn't my native language.

Anyway. For context, I am an incoming second year Computer Science student from the Philippines and due to many reasons, I paused studies. I had a hard time on my Freshman major subjects and because of that I realized that my knowledge wouldn't be enough for me to survive another year. It's really humbling, really. I've been thinking a lot of shifting to a Film degree, my dream course, a lot lately but ever since I've finally discovered Magic Lantern several months ago, I've always wondered what If I shifted to Computer Engineering instead since embedded systems are a thing there and it's still relevant to my current course and the closest I know that offers courses on embedded systems.

I've always been really passionate about camera technicalities though, and I've always been the power user on every camera that I come across everytime I operate cameras on my cinema org (and I'm a huge geek about it too!) and I'd love to learn more. I've always wondered too how subsampling, dual gain output, pixel binning and many more technical fun stuff are coded. But at the end of the day, I'll have to eventually decide which course I'm going to choose before I go back to college. But before all of that, I've always wanted to give coding on embedded systems, ML specifically, a try and I would like to ask anyone reading this to point me to the right direction about any specific books and materials I could read to start out on and what I should focus on. I have all the time right now to self study and I'm willing to learn especially with the help of this community. If learning is successful, I would definitely be glad to give back by helping develop ML. Cheers!

For reference here are the general things I want to learn:
-Using terminals
-Linux
-Emulation
-Understanding C and Assembly
-Embedded systems
-Any additional subjects I should learn?