lightest wide-angle setup for eos m

Started by swoopyfpv, August 25, 2020, 05:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swoopyfpv

hey guys,

just stumbled over magic lantern for the eos m  :)

i want to mount the eos m onto my fpv drone, so for that i need the lightest possible setup and also a wide lens.
if i'm getting things right the crop factor for the 2,5k mode is about 3,34 ?!

So i was thinking the best options might be some c-mount lenses, which should work with this crop factor?!
are there any lightweigt fisheye lenses i might take a look at?

should i consider the HD Raw Mode for recording to avoid the crop factor, if yes what light lenses would you suggest?

thanks

Walter Schulz

2blackbar

yeah c-mount. look for 1/2'' sensor or 2/3'' lenses, i have tamron 4-12mm f1.4 and its a fisheye, less on 12mm

stef7

C-mount lenses are not an option. Been there, tried some of them. Very low quality optics made mostly for security cameras or machine vision that don't do justice to crop mode resolution
Simply skip them and don't waist your time and money.

Not many wide angle lenses for crop mode, but still some:

Fish eye lenses:

Samyang / Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5  - 190gr 250$
Samyang / Rokinon 8mm f2.8     - 260gr 260$
7Artisans 7.5mm f2.8                  - 278gr 140$

They all will give you angle of view equivalent to 24mm-28mm FF after correction in Davinci Resolve and do exists for EOS M

Regular / rectilinear lenses:

Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT   150gr (Lightweight Version) / 500$
SLR Magic 8mm f4          130gr  / 140$

Both are made for drones as one of main applications. Laowa is rectilinear and near perfect - sharp wide open, f2 aperture. Could be used for night shots. But relatively expensive.

But both are Micro Four Third lenses only. You'll have to find somebody to change the bayonet for you to Canon EOS M. And this will cost you even more money. A local guy have done this for me for many other lenses but decided to buy a better camera and abandoned the project :)

For scenery / landscapes used mostly Canon 10-18mm with regular adapter. 35mm FF equivalent angle of view which is my favorite. But drones typically use 24mm-28mm.

Aperture Science

CCTV lens
Since you need overcome the crop factor.