[WONTFIX] aperture bracketing

Started by I'm too lazy to register, September 03, 2012, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm too lazy to register

I didn't find anything about aperture bracketing anywhere here. I feel like I must be missing something, because it seems like such an obvious/easy to implement thing.

Useful for varying DOF and bokeh, and as a backup when shooting at ~f/1.2 in case focus is off. (There would always be another shot at, say, f/2).

Malcolm Debono

Focus stacking would make more sense in that case :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

a1ex

Bracketing in Tv mode should do aperture bracketing ;)

Edit: you mean aperture bracketing at constant exposure, right? There are more ways to do this (change shutter, ISO or both).

And about the obvious part... how many people felt the need for this?

I'm too lazy to register

As I understand it, focus stacking actually changes the focus right? If it just changes the aperture it would work, but otherwise, no. I'll look later.

Tv doesn't accomplish what I want because you can't really control the aperture values. I want to be able to take a few shots at different specific apertures, and yes, with constant exposure.

I guess it may not seem useful to people who don't do what I do (http://bit.ly/mlflickr), but the difference between f/1.2 and even f/1.4 can mean getting someone's eyes in focus. I'd really would like to be able to shoot wide open more often and be confident that I'm not going lose any good shots.

I'm too lazy to register

Oh, I see what you mean re: focus stacking, however this is impractical in my shooting conditions because the lens I use most is slow-focusing. And I have no idea whether I might be backfocused or frontfocused in a given moment. edit: Yeah, I just got that to work and it is waaay too slow.

I also want to do things like a bracket of f/1.2, f/2, f/4 so I can optionally choose the image with more background in focus.

nanomad

Please make an account yourself if you wish to get answers  ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

disposableemailaddress1

QuoteOk, I am now using a legit official forum account. I already feel like a better, more important person.

Weird, my account was deleted and so was my last comment, and my IP was banned. Is this the kind of behavior expected of mods here?

nanomad

Yes, altough the IP ban was unintended. Make a proper forum account or send me a PM to rename this one
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Leon

I could actually see the following being useful personally:

Automatically take two photos consecutively (using continuous shutter), one at a wide aperture and one at a medium aperture (e.g. f/5.6).  If the focus is just slightly off on the wide aperture shot, then it will probably be fine in the medium aperture shot.  Other times, the medium aperture one may have too much noise due to high ISO, or motion blur due to a longer shutter speed.

Focus bracketing won't work with manual focus, whereas alternating aperture would.  With action you could use this with continuous shutter.

This could be used creatively too; I'm trying to imagine what would happen if you ramped between two apertures during a movie (whilst the ISO was automatically adjusted to maintain exposure)...  It could be quite cool to see the background magically blur, or come into focus, while the subject remains unchanged.

a1ex

Closing because OP keeps trolling with off-topic messages.