[Solved - Shutter button stuck] T5i button operation broken

Started by anation, August 21, 2020, 05:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anation

I used ML on my T5i for 3 weeks just find. A few days ago the buttons stopped working. ML still boots up. I see the information, but I cannot get a response from any buttons. No opening menus, preview, live view, Q, etc. I was able to get into the canon menu by turning to video mode and moving the dial around and quickly pressing the Menu button. This allowed me to format a new card, try to reload ML and finally downgrade my firmware to 1.1.4. The downgrading of firmware did not help the button problem. I am trying to understand how ML caused the buttons to not work and a firmware change did not fix. Does ML change internal code?
Does anyone know how I can revert the camera back to original, so I can install the firmware?
thanks for the help

anation

I found that I can get to review my photos, if I go into video mode, get the menu to show and they press the review button. All buttons work for reviewing photos. I upgraded my firmware to 1.1.5 and buttons still not working correctly. ML still is functioning. I get the lens information, zoom preview in live preview (only in video mode).
Auto focus does not work or 1/2 press shutter button, but i can take photos (very limited abilities)

anation

I have tried uninstalling ML from the camera and the firmware update process just keeps saying "ML already installed" BootDisk flag is set. How can i remove the bootdisk flag if ML will not uninstall?

anation

I have been unable to
Hold the set button to stop ML from loading
Use the Format Card option to remove ML from the card. When I format ML is still there on restart.
Select the Firmware update option and remove ML that way. It always says ML is already installed, restart the camera.

right now I need a way to reset the camera's ROM to something that does not ML on it.

Walter Schulz

Reinstall ML again, wait for 60 seconds after message screen appears. Restart cam.

anation

no change in operations after waiting 60s and restarting

anation

I tried starting with no card in and clearing the settings. Then re-installing ML, waiting 60s then restart. Same results with buttons.

Walter Schulz

What is the actual question?

a) How to deinstall ML?
Answered.

b) How to make button work again?
Not affected by ML.

anation

Was the reinstalling ML to get it to uninstall?  I would like to uninstall but the option does not appear for me. If you could help me get it uninstalled that would be great.

names_are_hard

ML does not install onto the camera.  It is on the card.  Use a new, blank card and ML is "uninstalled".

Walter Schulz

https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install -> Uninstalling Magic Lantern.
After installation you have to wait 60 seconds and ML will uninstall itself.

Quote from: names_are_hard on September 09, 2020, 05:52:33 PM
ML does not install onto the camera.  It is on the card.  Use a new, blank card and ML is "uninstalled".

Umm ... not quite, it does change the camera a bit: Bootflag. And the only way to reset it is to run ML installation.
A cam with bootflag set will constantly looking for a bootable card, therefore slighty slow down startup and wake-up from powersave. Furthermore it will react with an error screen if a bootable card is found with a different ML version. And older Eye-Fi cards (first gen, I believe) will lock the cam.

names_are_hard

Well, yes, but it's hard to call bootflag enabling "installing".  I was trying to answer anation's earlier question: "Does ML change internal code?" - no, it does not, as soon as you stop using a ML card.

anation

When I wait the 60s after installing, i never get the uninstalling message. And when i reboot the camera ML is loaded, so the boot flag is still set. Is there a way to drain the internal battery so the camera needs to be reloaded?
I have been unable to
Use the Format Card option to remove ML from the card. When I format ML is still there on restart.
Select the Firmware update option and remove ML that way. It always says ML is already installed, restart the camera.

Walter Schulz

Take a small vid of the install process by firmware update option.

anation

Here is a video of starting the T5i, moving to video setting and getting the menu to open, running the firmware update, which starts ML. Allow to stay running for over 60s. Showing the buttons only work in certain situations. Restarting the T5i to see if ML is uninstalled. ML still loaded.

a1ex

Try running these builds; one of them should save a log that might hopefully show what's going on.

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log/
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log-mpu/

Best guess so far: half-shutter stuck.

anation

The light only blinked for a few seconds, like it normally reads the SD card. I don't know what it would have gotten on the log files.  It created a CRASH00.LOG and a LOG000.LOG. Can I use these to further investigate?
I could not find how to read the LOG files. Below is the feed from them

CRASH00.LOG
ASSERT: pDialog != NULL
at ./Dialog/Dialog.c:1098, task debug_task
lv:1 mode:0

debug_task stack: 1bdd10 [1bdde8-1bbde8]
0x0008AA1C @ 8b8c8:1bdd50
0x00001900 @ ff4b7c94:1bdd48
0x0007EF78 @ 7f19c:1bdd10

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2018Jul03.700D115
Mercurial changeset   : 7a3b5fa3f4c6 (unified) tip
Built on 2018-07-02 22:18:41 UTC by jenkins@nightly.
Free Memory  : 175K + 3378K

LOG000.LOG

anation

I was mistaken. Those files are from my ML card. Those were created on August 23. I put the files from the StartUp Log link on a different SD card and started the camera, but it would not record a LOG file.

anation

If someone could tell me how to use the LOG files to understand the possible problems with My T5i, I would greatly appreciate that. I have searched in the forum and on Magic Lantern site to find information about using the LOG files, but cannot find the needed help.

Walter Schulz

Take your ML SD-card. Rename ML folder and autoexec.bin. Copy extracted build contents to card. Insert card and startup cam.
Test both linked versions.

And please edit your previous post. It's a PITA to scroll up and down.

anation

Is there a way to attach files or make the LOG information better to post? I could not find help to figure that out.

anation

I have both of the DM-0000.LOG files. How should I put them in the chat?

names_are_hard

anation

If someone could help me understand how to use the logs to troubleshoot, I would greatly appreciate that.