Seattle | 5D MKIII | Danne's Build 3840x1536

Started by paulheran, August 20, 2020, 06:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulheran

Shot using:

- 5D MKIII (113)
- Canon 16-35 2.8
- Danne's Build (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Aug11.5D3113)
- Card Spanning on
- SD Overclocking on - 160MHz
- Presets - UHD 1:1
- Global Draw - LiveView (but all overlay graphics are off)
- RAW Video - ON (3840x1536)
- in RAW Video menu: Preview was set to Frozen LV (but I had a b/w live view while recording. Is this supposed to happen?)
- Bitdepth - 12bit
- Ratio - OFF
- FPS Override - OFF
- Komputerbay CF - 256gb 1200x
- San Disk Extreme PRO SD - 170MB/s

I had no issues while shooting. I was able to have a black/white preview for framing even while I was recording and no record stopping issues. I shot some takes for 30+ seconds.

Post Process:

- .MLV and .M00 dropped into same folder on hard drive
- opened clips in MLV App
- Exported from MLV App as CinemaDNG Lossless
- Opened CDNGs in Davinci Resolve
- Changed RAW settings to:

Master

• RAW Profile - CinemaDNG
  • Decode Quality - Full Res.
  • Decode Using - Project
Project Settings
  • White Balance - As Shot
  • Color Space - Blackmagic Design
  • Gamma - Blackmagic Design Film
  • Checked box for Highlight Recovery

- Next I exported the clips in native resolution to ProResHQ
- Brought clips into Premiere Pro
- Edited Trimmed the clips
- Added adjustment layer with Lumetri Color
- Added Hunter's LUT
- Minor exposure tweaks on some clips
- Export from Premiere Pro as ProRes 422
- Upload to Vimeo

Let me know what you think of this post process. I want to know if anything stands out as being unnecessary or incorrect. I'd love to learn ways to streamline the process a little, although I think the quality of final export is worth all the hassle. Thanks for watching. Thanks for all the work put into the builds!

- Paul
5D3 113 | 16-35 2.8 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS

has_abandonment_issu

Shots are very nice looking. I am not an expert with post processing but it sounds to me like you're doing things right. I personally have compared log vs rec709 in mlvapp before exporting and found dramatic differences in shadow and highlight detail. Log files seem a bit more complicated to grade but it's worth playing with if you'd like to experiment.

Were you really able to get 3.8k 12bit continuous shooting with a 16-35? I tested a lot and settled on 3440x1440 as being "continuous in virtually all conditions," regardless of scene dynamic range, field of view, etc. Maybe I'll go higher. How wide did you shoot most of these shots?

paulheran

Quote from: has_abandonment_issu on August 21, 2020, 03:48:02 AM
Shots are very nice looking. I am not an expert with post processing but it sounds to me like you're doing things right. I personally have compared log vs rec709 in mlvapp before exporting and found dramatic differences in shadow and highlight detail. Log files seem a bit more complicated to grade but it's worth playing with if you'd like to experiment.

Were you really able to get 3.8k 12bit continuous shooting with a 16-35? I tested a lot and settled on 3440x1440 as being "continuous in virtually all conditions," regardless of scene dynamic range, field of view, etc. Maybe I'll go higher. How wide did you shoot most of these shots?

Thank you. I was exporting uncompressed CDNG from MLV app, and then with BM Log gamma from Resolve.

And yes it seemed continuous for me at 3840x1536. Most shots were at 16mm.

- Paul

has_abandonment_issu

Oh I missed that you converted to the BMD log in resolve.

I have a question about how that works. When you export a cinema dng from MLVAPP, what happens to the color space? The standard setting is just tonemapped rec709, but when exported as a cinema dng it doesn't seem to make a difference what color gamut was selected.

Does the color space just get interpreted by Resolve and the cinemadng file contains all of the original RAW data?

wib

Quote from: paulheran on August 20, 2020, 06:40:50 PM
Let me know what you think of this post process.

You can apply your luts directly in Davinci, and benefit from the raw options to modify also the WB without quality loss, and down even more the highlights.
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

masc

Quote from: has_abandonment_issu on August 21, 2020, 06:05:50 AM
... When you export a cinema dng from MLVAPP, what happens to the color space? ...

Does the color space just get interpreted by Resolve and the cinemadng file contains all of the original RAW data?
cDNG = RAW. It contains no color space. Resolve has to interpret the RAW data.

Nice video, nice mood, nice quality! Is this recorded with the first version EF16-35 2.8? The borders are veeery soft. I use the 2nd version and can't remember having seen this before. Is there a way to correct the CAs in Resolve? In MLVApp you could do this - at least if you don't use cDNG. I also used this nice UHD mode from Danne... you'll find it under "Share Your Videos" here.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

felinefurnishings

I like it, 3 reasons, I lived in Seattle 8 years, close to the beginning you have Ivar's in a scene, technically it's awesome.

paulheran

Quote from: felinefurnishings on August 21, 2020, 06:55:44 PM
I like it, 3 reasons, I lived in Seattle 8 years, close to the beginning you have Ivar's in a scene, technically it's awesome.

Nice! I love Seattle so far. Only my second year up here. Summer is amazing, winter... mehh.

paulheran

Quote from: masc on August 21, 2020, 01:21:25 PM
cDNG = RAW. It contains no color space. Resolve has to interpret the RAW data.

Nice video, nice mood, nice quality! Is this recorded with the first version EF16-35 2.8? The borders are veeery soft. I use the 2nd version and can't remember having seen this before. Is there a way to correct the CAs in Resolve? In MLVApp you could do this - at least if you don't use cDNG. I also used this nice UHD mode from Danne... you'll find it under "Share Your Videos" here.

Thank you! High praise coming from a master. I have watched your videos many times and you kindly answered some questions for me. Yes, I noticed the soft edges. I also have the second version of the lens, but I am using the SLR magic Variable ND filter, which might have something to do with it. I also shot some of those wide 16mm shots at 2.8 on accident, so it was probably my fault. Thank you for watching and commenting. I hope to post more video soon, and I look forward to seeing more of yours!

wib

it's incredible how sharp is the image. so in that mod you were able to somehow have a livefeed back in bw ?

masc

Quote from: paulheran on August 21, 2020, 07:38:15 PM
I also shot some of those wide 16mm shots at 2.8 on accident, so it was probably my fault. ...
I hope to post more video soon, and I look forward to seeing more of yours!
Why by accident? I always use it at 2.8, because it is the most cinematic look this lens can produce. :)
Hope to see more from you too ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

paulheran

Quote from: wib on August 21, 2020, 07:52:51 PM
it's incredible how sharp is the image. so in that mod you were able to somehow have a livefeed back in bw ?

Thank you for watching. Yes, I had a low fps black and white preview with a little lag, but good enough for framing. I was not expecting this since it says "preview broken" in the ML menu. Did anyone else experience this?

paulheran

Quote from: masc on August 21, 2020, 07:56:52 PM
Why by accident? I always use it at 2.8, because it is the most cinematic look this lens can produce. :)
Hope to see more from you too ;)

I guess if I'm shooting a far off wide shot without a close foreground to show depth of field, I usually would shoot at f5.6 or higher because most lenses are sharpest around that f stop.

wib

I have a question, I noticed, that there isn't always sound in your clips. Did you modified that during the shooting ? Does recording audio will affect the bitrate capacity?

paulheran

Quote from: wib on August 23, 2020, 10:38:54 PM
I have a question, I noticed, that there isn't always sound in your clips. Did you modified that during the shooting ? Does recording audio will affect the bitrate capacity?

Thanks for pointing that out! I forgot to mention that some of my clips recorded with audio, and some without (unexpectedly). I am not sure how that affected the recording times. I did not alter any menu settings to turn off/on audio recording. I'll have to do more tests to understand what is causing this. 

Kharak

Quote from: paulheran on August 24, 2020, 02:34:52 AM
Thanks for pointing that out! I forgot to mention that some of my clips recorded with audio, and some without (unexpectedly). I am not sure how that affected the recording times. I did not alter any menu settings to turn off/on audio recording. I'll have to do more tests to understand what is causing this.

That sounds like --xref problem.

If you convert the same mlv's with Danne's windows batch converter and select the -skip xref option, to see if you get audio files out..

Perhaps MLV App has this function too? I don't use it so often.
once you go raw you never go back

Danne

Could you try a file with problematic audio with this application?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/switch_mini-git/src/master/

Select menu item 21 to skip xref and see if that helps getting your audio working. You can download the full repo and use the Switch mini app in the folder:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/switch_mini-git/get/7acc2f928b15.zip