Magic Lantern User - Southern Colorado

Started by felinefurnishings, August 15, 2020, 10:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

felinefurnishings

Hi, Michael here. I have jumped into the ML world, universe, where all things are Magic Lantern.  I've been watching YouTube video after YouTube video by Zeek... About two months ago, I jumped into the mobile filming arena.  As of today, I think I have spent around $1,800 on a Canon EOS-M, Moza AirCross 2, EOS-M mini cage, Sirui 35mm f/1.8 anamorphic, Kaxinda 25mm f/0.95, Sigma 16mm f/1.4, 7 Artisans 25mm f/1.8, large 5V, 2.4amp battery, ND filter, CPL filter, and a few stepup adapters.....I am retired, 67 years of age.  I used to be a Computer Tech guy, Networking Engineer, when I was earning a living.

Anyway, I am a novice, but an extremely passionate novice.  i am joining the forum, because I may pick up pieces here, pieces there, that build my macro and micro understanding of Magic Lantern.  In fact, Magic Lantern is a very, very challenging and complex software.  Magic Lantern kinda of reminds me of the learning curve I had in 1994, when I was a visiting engineer at Microsoft...the beginning Beta year of Windows 95.

Don't mistake me, I am humble as they come.  I am here to learn and listen.  Which kinda of brings me to my problem...I broke Magic Lantern.  Not sure how I did it, but I broke it at 2am last night.  It took me a number of hours to get Magic Lantern back up to the most recent build, Aug. 2020 this morning.   BUT, I am not totally up and running.  Presently, I cannot find how to get the EOS-M back into shooting mode "P"...which you know is where the firmware option comes up on wrench 4.  I am thinking I may have to find the Canon EOS-M utility disc.   Magic Lantern is running just fine...however, having worked with a lot of software, there may be a time where the two low-level files, the .bin and the .fir may change enough that I have to do the firmware install routine....

Anyway, you all are smarter than I am.  i am here to learn and there is so much to learn.  Add to that the art skills of composition and story-telling....it's all fresh and new to me.....thanks for reading...

felinefurnishings

Ok...figured it out...the getting to the firmware, in P shooting...you go through the canon menu, to the right and then another right and there's the other shooting mode choices...

I am looking through the using magic lantern posts...I got my Sirui 35mm f/1.8 anamorphic late Friday, so I really wanted to get out in low light conditions and see what kind of flares and ovals it produced.  But my magic lantern knowledge was not enough to get solid results in low light...could not figure out how to get the ISO down, so everything was way, way to noisy.

But, tonight I got out with the Kaxinda 25mm f/0.95...got a better handle on ISO and lowering shutter speed down as much as was available..1/33 ....much better results but corrupted frames, purplish, lavender...the corrupted frames were broken into 2 pieces, the left side of the frame was on the right side and purple and the right side of the frame was on the left..so that's my next problem to ferret out the answer...