Does battery type affect something in ML work either on 5D iii or other supporte

Started by shhd, August 13, 2020, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shhd

Hello
Today I noticed something that might be useful
When using a non-original 5D III battery, the memory speed is 87MB
When using an original battery, the speed sometimes reached 100.1 MB
Does battery type affect something in ML work either on 5D iii or other supported cameras

Also I plan to buy a memory and is confused between two types whichever it filters and my work is more on 5D iii
That's more speed and less space, at $ 220

That's less speed and more space, $ 160

Volumetrik

Can't comment on battery differences because I only have OEM canon batteries.

For the cards, the first one you linked is a CFast 2.0 card. Not compatible with the 5DIII.

You need a CF card UDMA 7 rating to get the most out of it. You can't get faster CF cards than 160MB/s anyways.

shhd

Quote from: Volumetrik on August 14, 2020, 12:23:49 AM
Can't comment on battery differences because I only have OEM canon batteries.

For the cards, the first one you linked is a CFast 2.0 card. Not compatible with the 5DIII.

You need a CF card UDMA 7 rating to get the most out of it. You can't get faster CF cards than 160MB/s anyways.

Thank you for your contribution. I was about to purchase the first card and expected that it does not support 5D iii. Maybe a 1Dx or something similar.
As for the battery, I described to you what happened to me. Perhaps some people have experience or knowledge about the role of the battery in the work of ML

yourboylloyd

1. Your first picture is a CFast card. Won't work with your camera.
2. I have both OEM and non OEM batteries on my 5D2. But I haven't noticed any speed differences on it from batteries.

3. Get this card. This is the best one: https://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-128GB-Professional-Compact-Extreme/dp/B00J9OS7LW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=komputerbay+cf+128gb&qid=1597368656&sr=8-1
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

shhd

Thank you for your contribution and the memory that you suggest to me. I read here that 128 gigabytes are not stable and the best is 64 or 256

shhd

The ML community is large and it is difficult to find topics that you have read or browse during your day or arrived at by chance, but use this link to search and see the many discussions
Here is one of the quotes in support of my statement and that a lot here talks about that 128 is unstable

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk032f-0yRbQSvnpiMv67800iFnsFIw%3A1597400740054&ei=pGY2X_fpAu6a1fAP5eaP0AY&q=128+GB+is+unstable+site%3Awww.magiclantern.fm&oq=128+GB+is+unstable+site%3Awww.magiclantern.fm&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA1AAWABgx48TaARwAHgAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEAqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj3y7K9vZrrAhVuTRUIHWXzA2oQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

128 GB is unstable site:www.magiclantern.fm

QuoteHey everyone - I'm new so please bear with me if I sound stupid lol. Just making sure I read this correctly - the 256G card will only hold 128G of footage in the 5D3? However, it will operate fast enough to actually record the raw footage - unlike KB's 128G cards? I've seen nothing but bad reviews on their 128G cards from what reading I've done on here.  I'm considering picking up a couple of their 64G cards simply because the price can't be beat and seems to perform ok?? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7801.25

Walter Schulz

Link source or I call it BS.
And please don't confuse confirmed issues with 1000x and 1050x cards in 5D2 with your statement.

70MM13

i use both the kb 128 and 256 cards for my video recordings, and after many full card write cycles over the years, both are still working flawlessly, making 20 minutes+ recordings that are often <>100GB.

while it's clear that some have had bad luck with these cards, i can thankfully say my experience has been perfect.  if they failed today i would not complain.  they both work flawlessly with card spanning and sd overclock on the 5d3 (sandisk extreme pro 170)

PS: i forgot to mention that i also use official canon batteries AND cheap knock-offs, and it has never happened here.  always <>130 MB/S with card spanning and overclock.

hope that helps!

shhd

Quote from: 70MM13 on August 14, 2020, 02:27:05 PM

PS: i forgot to mention that i also use official canon batteries AND cheap knock-offs, and it has never happened here.  always <>130 MB/S with card spanning and overclock.

hope that helps!

thank you very much

Can you take pictures of the screen with your most important settings and things that you have activated?

70MM13

i would, but there's nothing to show!

i'm using the defaults and simply turning on overclock and spanning.  the "official" current version of the sd overclock only has "on" and "off" settings.  (160mhz only)

it just works!

i don't know if this is a factor, but when i do 1:1 crop modes, i strictly use the UHD preset and i only use 2.35:1 aspect ratios (e.g. 3072*1308).

and i always kill global draw during recording.

shhd

Can you put the link to your version of the site because this version has been patched a lot by Danny and I no longer know where is the version that works well with the SD Overclock feature?
I found more than one link in some posts, and Danny from time to time puts an update. Can you guide me
I am using 5D III version 1.2.3

70MM13

the latest version works perfectly.  there's nothing to do except use it...  it keeps getting better with each version!

i don't think i can help you because i know nothing about 1.2.3

maybe someone else who uses it can offer advice.  my only advice is switch to 1.1.3 ;)

shhd

Now my 5D III camera is 1.2.3 and it was 1.5.3 and I managed to go back to 1.2.3
Would you recommend that I also go back to 1.1.3 and is that possible with the same idea of ​​opening the memory door and fooling the camera

Walter Schulz

Again: The only version where "memory door" method is the only option to downgrade is 1.3.6. And because it is the most complicated method available it will be just overkill to use it for every other version.
1.3.3 to 1.3.5 are downgradeable by using EOS Utility.
And 1.2.3 to 1.1.3: Just downgrade from camera menu "Firmware update" using fir file for 1.1.3.

shhd

Thank you
However, I was able to go back from 1.5.3 by opening the memory door without using EOS Utility
Can you help me put a link to version 1.1.3 for the camera and not ML?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: shhd on August 14, 2020, 08:32:12 PM
However, I was able to go back from 1.5.3 by opening the memory door without using EOS Utility

That's no contradiction to what I wrote. For 1.3.6 (there is no 1.5.3) it is required to use "memory door" method. There is no other method known to those not working in a Canon facility.
For all other versions "memory door" method is optional but much more complicated compared to EOS Utillity method (for versions 1.3.3 to 1.3.5) or cam menu option (any version 1.2.x or older).

Quote from: shhd on August 14, 2020, 08:32:12 PM
Can you help me put a link to version 1.1.3 for the camera and not ML?

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 5D Mark III 1.1.3 -> Installation or Helpful Links.

shhd

QuoteTop of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 5D Mark III 1.1.3 -> Installation or Helpful Links.

Dear please excuse you
I don't want the night build or the ML version
I want firmware version 1.1.3 for 5Diii so I first go back from 1.2.3 to 1.1.3 then install ML

???

Walter Schulz

<Sigh>
Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 5D Mark III 1.1.3 -> Useful Links.

shhd

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 5D Mark III 1.1.3 -> Useful Links.
And it is linked in "Installation" chapter, too.

shhd

shhd

In fact, 1.1.3 is slightly faster to write to memory than 1.2.3, there is a response speed even from the camera away from the memory write speed