HOW ML START (or why it doesn't boot topic) & Restore Camera Settings

Started by scrax, September 02, 2012, 11:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krane

Quote from: krisc on January 11, 2014, 10:42:22 AM
We have misunderstanding a bit here.
I did have "boot" problem. It took a bit of experimenting finally I got it ML booting and running OK.
The fix I presented at first message was the solution for me - so I posted, it may help some people.

Currently trying to get on the top of ML shooting raw video .....
I see. Did you set up a file with all the missing folders should you need to reformat and start again? I have all that titled ML boot disc ready and waiting should I ever need it. Don't want to have to go searching for it and find it missing or deleted. Good luck.
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

factotum

Hello. It´s my first post and although I´ve been looking for in this and others threads, I don´t find the information (and/or because of my bad english ). It is about the start sequence of the camera when it switches on and load ML, it´s confusing for me. How many seconds it´s necessary to wait when I switch on the camera untill the load of ML is completed?. I´ve noticed that when I press any button during the boot sequence  ML firm is not loaded and I have to wait a few seconds , even in standby It´s more confused and sometines when I half-press the shoot button in standby ML goes out and original firmware is loaded.
Best regards

Krane

Quote from: factotum on January 13, 2014, 02:35:12 PM
Hello. It´s my first post and although I´ve been looking for in this and others threads, I don´t find the information (and/or because of my bad english ). It is about the start sequence of the camera when it switches on and load ML, it´s confusing for me. How many seconds it´s necessary to wait when I switch on the camera untill the load of ML is completed?. I´ve noticed that when I press any button during the boot sequence  ML firm is not loaded and I have to wait a few seconds , even in standby It´s more confused and sometines when I half-press the shoot button in standby ML goes out and original firmware is loaded.
Best regards
I've never timed it exactly, but I'm sure it can't take more than 5 sec. I'm really not understanding your dilemma. Are you saying its taking too long to load?

Anyway, the only way I get the Canon menu is when I press information. Are you sure you're are not pressing any buttons during the load sequence?
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

factotum

I say (I have already discovered) that when the camera is in standby if I press SET button it  loads the original firmware instead of ML firm. On the contrary if another button is pressed it loads itself ML firmware. I have read about this feature when the camera is started by pressing ON button but I didn´t know this. I have installed 2.1.2-mlv2.3. with raw module.
thanks

ihellos

I am new to Magic Lantern, but not to Canon DSLRs or computers. I'm trying to install ML on a Canon 5D Mark III I bought in December. I've read through all the guides, watched several tutorials but for some reason I cannot get ML to 'take' on my camera. I go to the firmware update (Which always says Canon 1.1.3 until I update it, when it switches to the ML firmware), and it runs and I get the Smiley face at the end that is supposed to mean you turn your camera off, turn it back on and then ML is there. It's not, though, and more often than not the ML build doesn't stick around in the current firmware display- it keeps reverting back to the Canon 1.1.3 firmware.

I've done it all step-by-step like I'm supposed to, and it's not working. The files I'm using came from Charlie Locke's vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejs6aclfqqpeflk/ML%205D.zip, and I'm using the same process as described by Dave Dugdale here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AgyiJmrio4#aid=P-netHSreks , along with trying every other process I can find on the interwebs.

To my dumb, unfamiliar mind it seems like this I'm having trouble getting the bootflag installed, but I'm not entirely sure. Would really love some help on this one if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Bootflag not set would result in ML not starting at all. It won't toggle by itself. Use EOScard to make your card bootable and copy latest Nightly build files over the existing AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory.

ihellos

I'm using a Mac, so I'm using MacBoot to make the SD card bootable. Just made it bootable, and then replace the ML files and the autoexec.bin with the ones from the latest nightly build. Still getting the smiley face, and still just shows 1.1.3 when I turn it off and then back on. I have just the 5d3-113-bootflag.dir, autoexec.bin, DCIM, MISC, and ML folders in there. There is a ROM.DAT file that keeps getting added to the SD every time I try to update to ML firmware on the camera.

Any other ideas? Thanks so much for helping a newbie out- the file structure is mirroring everything I've seen online.

Regele IONESCU

Hello!

I have been using ML since the first release without any problem on my 5D Mark II. A few days ago I tried to update to the latest nightly build(30 march 2017). After copying the files on card(Sandisk Extreme III, 32G), Magic Lantern installs without any error but won't boot at all. I noticed for the first time that during installation it backs up some ROM files. During installation it says Bootflag set OK and made card bootable OK. I tried EOScard without any success. I tried even to install an old ML build(2013). I formatted and re formatted the card both in camera and on my pc. Apart from ML not booting the rest of the camera works fine. I googled for this problem but all relevant links lead here. I also have two 16g no name CF cards with the latest ML build that work fine!

Is there anything left I can do to make ML boot?

Walter Schulz

Remove card, remove battery.
Insert battery only.
Does the cam startup without card now? (Compartment doors shut, of course).

Walter Schulz

Copy extracted nightly build content to card and startup cam.
Results?