Sea of Love / 5,2k anamorphic, 14 fps, EOS-M and 100D

Started by IDA_ML, August 05, 2020, 10:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Hello all,

This video was filmed at the Southern Black Sea Coast where my family and I usually spend our summer vacation.  The wide angle shots and timelapses were filmed on the 100D with the EFS 10-18/4,5-5,6 IS STM lens while the close-up portrait footage of the young couple was shot at the 1736x2928p/10bit lossless/14fps full sensor readout anamorphic mode on the EOS-M equipped with my favorite vintage lenses:

Sigma 90/F2,8 DL macro and
SMC Takumar 50/1,4

The Sigma would not let me control the aperture but is a very sharp lens producing a beautiful bokeh and background blur.  I had to control the exposure entirely with a VND filter.  A little tricky to focus but once you nail focus, footage is really beautiful.  The same applies also to the Takumar.

Unfortunately, 16 fps were not available on the EOS-M at the time of filming but even 14 fps in combination with the Optical flow function of DaVinci Resolve were found to provide a pleasing result with a nice motion blur of the sea water.

Additional gear: Tripod and VND filters

Post processing: MLVApp (for cleaning focus pixels and very basic adjustments) and DaVinci Resolve for the Optical flow, video editing and adding music.

Due to limited Vimeo quota I was unable to upload the video in 4k resolution, sorry about that.  But downscaling from 5,2k to 1920x1080, in my opinion, provides excellent FHD quality.

Please let me know what you guys think.

And special thanks to Danne for bringing the EOS-M and the 100D to perfection, making them the ideal travel cameras.
https://vimeo.com/444943732

70MM13

very nice!

it's amazing how quickly things can change...  after seeing so many demonstration videos of the new cameras with their autofocus, suddenly it feels like a "must have" feature, but a month ago i wouldn't have even considered it!

IDA_ML

Thanks 70MM13,

If you mean the tracking and eye detection AF of the new cameras, I am not sure if professionals are so much excited about it.  Recently, I watched a video in which professional cinematographers were using the EOS R6 in their filming rig.  And guess what - they were still pulling focus manually...