Issues with SanDisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s 64GB SDXC UHS-I U3 cards ???

Started by [email protected], July 27, 2020, 05:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Hi All ....
I recently purchased some "Extreme Pro" (170MB/s) SanDisk cards (64GB) for my Canon 70D's.
Wierd thing is - the 70D won't enter into 'ML mode' when pressing the Rubbish-Bin button (the cards work OK for 'normal' 70D recording without ML). My Samsung EVO Plus micro SD cards have always worked with ML, so the only new variable is the SanDisk cards. And I can replicate this on 3x70D bodies.
Is there an issue with these cards? - Have SanDisk changed something other than the 170MB/s read speed - seems there's some compatability issue. I was wanting to go to SanDisk so as to have Full sized SD's rather than micros with adapters ...

Thanks.

BTW - The build I'm using is:
https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless.zip
I also tried the 2019 March 24th build (which also always worked on the EVO cards). Again the 70D is not recognizing ML at all. It's as though ML isn't on the card (but it definately is).

Walter Schulz

There are no compatibility issues. I suppose you run the installation again as requested to make a new card work with ML?

Maybe faked card?
Benchmark your card using a decent cardreader and tools like CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (macOS). Run h2testw (Windows) or F3/F3 QT (macOS), too.

[email protected]

Thanks Walter - I'll run some tests using your suggestion (CrystalDiskMark) - since I'm on Windows - I'll get back .... thnx :)

Result:
SanDisk Extreme Pro (170MB/s) 64GB SDXC UHS-1 card using CrystalDiskMark (with 'Default' settings):

Read [MB/s]          Write [MB/s]     
Seq
Q32T1                  84.51                       74.79

4KiB
Q8T8                    8.643                        2.785

4KiB
Q32T1                  8.750                        2.723

4KiB
Q1T1                    7.551                        2.646

I don't know what these results mean in real terms (I'm not overly 'technical') - whether good or bad ? ......

Walter Schulz

They are ok. Now run h2testw. This will take a while ... half an hour, estimated.

[email protected]

Thnx :)

Result:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H2testw

Writing                           Verifying
60873 MByte                60873 MByte
13:20 min                      12:18 min
76.1 MByte/s                82.4 MByte/s

Warning: Only 60873 of 60874 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing Speed: 76.1 MB/s
Reading Speed: 82.4 MB/s
H2testw v1.4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ..... I'm guessing that's a good result ....
This is most strange. The SanDisk will work fine for 'normal' use - I can record normal 1920  24  ALL-I  as per Canon's settngs, - so that confirms the 70D is at least recording-to and previewing-back from the card - but it's not getting a *read* on the resident 'ML files' when pressing the Rubbish Bin - ie: pressing the Bin button does nothing - it defies logic. And it's reproduceable on 3 different bodies - exactly the same result.

The SanDisk card I'm testing is:  BN2016752362G

It's as though there's *something* encoded on the card that's flagging the 70D from accessing the ML files - that's the only explanation I can think of.

Levas

Had the same issue, a week ago with a sandisk 170mb/s (128Gb).

I used ML the same day to make some dual iso pictures outside, and a few hours later, at next startup of the camera, it didn't want to load Magic lantern.
Camera starts up in normal Canon mode.
I replaced the autoexec.bin and ML files on the card, and after that it worked fine again.

Not sure why it didn't want to start ML at startup, ML files on the card seemed fine (the files were still on the card).
At the moment it didn't happen again.
I'm a little afraid for card corruption, but I did 3 silent picture timelapses with the card without any problems this week (3 x 1300 lossless dng's about 80Gb total size).

[email protected]

Thanks Walter & Levas ....
I'll do some more testing this evening and hopefully solve this. I'll post my findings or discoveries as I get closer. - thnx :)

[email protected]

Doesn't seem be totally a Sandisk Extreme Pro issue - there's another 'variable'.
● I low level formatted the SanDisk card (using a 70D).
● Re-downloaded the ML zip folder (Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless) --- File Size = 1,918,067 bytes (zipped).
● Inserted Sandisk into PC and extracted ML contents onto SanDisk card at root level. --- Size of the 3 files = 3,406,567 bytes.
● Safely ejected SanDisk and inserted into 70D and closed the door. The camera's Red flashing light was 'brief' - not 'extended' as when loading ML.
● Switched 70D on - Live-view came on.
● Depressed the Rubbish Bin button - nothing - The live view remained, the ML page did not appear.

Now here's the 'extra variable'
● I repeated the above, but this time using a Samsung EVO Plus card - one that already had the same ML version on it -  (I checked and ML was working fine).
● So formatting over this working ML, I installed a totally 'new' ML, the same 3 files. 3,406,567 bytes.
● Inserting the EVO into a 70D and switching ON - *the exact same problem* - pressing the Bin does not bring up the ML menu - yet it was working fine a few minutes earlier.

And all 3 cameras respond the same way - they all fail to work with any NEW installs of ML, yet all 3 cameras DO work with 2 other EVO cards with ML created months back. So I can no longer say it's attributable to SD card 'type' - it's happening now on both SanDisk AND Samsung. Something has changed - I mean am I missing something? - If it's right under my nose I can't see it tbh :(

Walter Schulz

Boy! This was the first question I asked!
RTFM!

Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide -> Installing Magic Lantern on other cards

70MM13

glancing at this thread i wonder if the obvious question needs to be asked...

did you do the "firmware update" step with these cards?  it's not enough to simply copy the files onto the card...

:)

[email protected]

Yes, thanks Walter and 70MM13 - I'd totally overlooked that step:

● Launch the Firmware Update process and follow the messages on the screen.
● Once you see the green confirmation screen, restart your camera. Done.

Well of course I feel like a right idiot :o - I'd had it in my notes - but skimmed over it. I'll now update that part with Bold Red.

[email protected]

Lessons Learned:
Reflecting on this oversight, I thought I'd record my thoughts:

● This type of mistake won't likely occur for those constantly using ML - (camera operators etc), because of continually executing the ML install procedure.(constantly treading the same ground)
● For those who 'ocassionally' dabble with ML (with maybe months in between) - these *oversights* are more likely to happen.
● So too for those (like myself) juggling not only cameras, but all things from scripting to directing, from lighting and sound through to post - it can spread a one-man operator very thin. Hence the need for copious notes. But even notes can let you down if not clearly laid out and followed. That's what happened here.

For me, notes are a constant *work in progress*. Editing them so as to be 'concise' while not excluding necessary detail. Tricky. Anyway, again I thank the 3 kind folk who helped solve this.