5.7K anamorphic 5D Mark III footage

Started by masc, July 21, 2020, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender@arsch

Quotegreat quality! what is sharp lens did you use there?

Meike 85mm EF 1:1.8

It's a really cheap lens, realy sharp, but have some trouble: According to the manufacturer, not waterproof, and I don't know why, If I change between AF and MF the aperture closed a bit every time if I changed. I need to set to f1.8 and back to what I want. There is a USB-c port for software update, but no newer software out there.
P. S.: I paid 110€ on ebay (new lens).

Here is a shortend MLV with both modes.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=10NFMzwrEBFv9A2hTO_jEwk8LH0kq29hz

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: masc on July 21, 2020, 08:40:19 PM
This is the first test video with my new old Canon EOS 5D Mark III. I am blown away by Danne's video modes, especially this 5.7K anamorphic mode which uses the full sensor width (big thank you, Danne!). This makes the footage look very cinematic!

This is purely insane and it's NUTS! Nice hand held stuff and the colors along w the DR is priceless. Absolutely cinematic and breathtaking! :)

I only wish the fire scene at the end was shot in Dual-ISO... Would have been marvelously awesome nonetheless thanks for sharing as always @masc!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

12georgiadis

With this mode, do you have a normal liveview while shooting ?

masc

While setting the shot up you'll have "Framing" and while recording you'll have "GreyScale".
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Quote from: masc on August 10, 2020, 04:18:33 PM
While setting the shot up you'll have "Framing" and while recording you'll have "GreyScale".
thanks!

kaco

paulheran

@masc does MLV APP automatically recognize the (MLV+M00) clips? Do you need to organize them in a special way in your folder?

Also, newb question but what exactly does overclocking do and is it necessary for this 5.7k anamorphic mode?

Thank you for the help,

- Paul
5D3 113 | 16-35 2.8 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS

masc

@paulheran: Just copy both files into one folder. MLVApp recognizes card spanning automatically then.

SD slot needs to be overclocked for 5.7K mode, because otherwise it is by far too slow.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

beba

Quote from: 12georgiadis on August 10, 2020, 04:01:35 PM
With this mode, do you have a normal liveview while shooting ?

LiveView moving really slowly!  :o

70MM13

@paulheran:  if you are on windows, you can use my script to read directly from your two cards into mlvapp.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25385.msg231554;topicseen#msg231554

masc

Quote from: beba on October 04, 2020, 10:59:53 AM
LiveView moving really slowly!  :o
Yes it is. But better slow preview than no preview ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

beba

I can't make everything work properly. Even the resolution does not change, this is the maximum. 170mb/s memory card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7z2AI6sfw8&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=BEBA   

masc

@beba: On movie page set the ratio to OFF, bitdepth to 12 or 14bit. And under RAW Video (Q) select framing preview instead of real-time. One single memory card can't handle it. You need a fast SD and a fast CF card.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

I now created a simple tutorial for the 5.7K preset on the 5D3, because so many people were asking. Enable subtitles please!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzNaJAztjpY
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dualmp

@masc. Thank you so much for the tutorial! Especially it contains the editing parts with some important tips!.

IDA_ML

Thanks for the tutorial, Masc.  I like the fact that you use minimum adjustments, so do I.  Could you please comment on which settings do you use for Profile preset and Processing gamuth and why?

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 09, 2020, 07:01:23 AM
Could you please comment on which settings do you use for Profile preset and Processing gamuth and why?
I mostly use "Tonemapped" with "Reinhard" and "Rec.709". Reinhard looks very natural and does a very nice and smooth highlight rolloff, and lets some space for adjusting the whitelevel with the 2 light sliders. I always render Rec.709 footage, because it is my final grading step - I don't apply any other LUTs in NLE or somewhere else.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Thanks Masc,

Have to try "Reinhard" too.

I use "Alexa Log-C" with "Alexa Wide Gamuth RGB" and then I make adjustments and grade in MLVApp.  I think, these setting preserve the most of color information and allow most headroom for corrections and grading even after export in PR4444 and subsequent corrections in Resolve.  Would you comment on these settings too?

IDA_ML

For those of you who wish to compare sharpening of anamorphic footage in MLVApp vs. sharpening in DaVinci Resolve, here is a test video:

https://we.tl/t-BFD1r17wqg

I filmed it on the 100D with the EF 35/F2 IS lens at the 1128x1900/24fps/12bitsLL anamorhic settings, performed a few basic adjustments in MLVApp, exported the clip with 0% and 100% sharpening in ProRes4444.  Then I did the editing in Resolve where I sharpened the 0% clip at 0,44 in the Color module.  In my opinion, both sharpening methods provide very similar results.  Slight differences are seen only along thin contrasty vertical lines where Resolve provides a minor improvement in terms of aliasing which is barely perceptible anyway.

masc

All the LOG profiles are okay, as long as you correct and grade 100% in MLVApp. When exporting without final color corrections you loose a big part of the bitdepth. This means... yes... you preserved highlights and shadows, but at the cost of midtones. Banding is the result.

Anamorphic footage must always be sharpened after rescaling. Otherwise you'll get stair effects. So you must keep the sharpening slider in MLVApp at 0 for anamorphic footage! If I need some sharpening, I apply it in the H.264 / H.265 final transcoding via FFMPEG before releasing the video.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Hari

Brilliant tutorial, it made setting up the camera for 5.7k easy, thanks masc!

IDA_ML

Quote from: masc on October 09, 2020, 11:59:02 AM
Anamorphic footage must always be sharpened after rescaling. Otherwise you'll get stair effects. So you must keep the sharpening slider in MLVApp at 0 for anamorphic footage! If I need some sharpening, I apply it in the H.264 / H.265 final transcoding via FFMPEG before releasing the video.

You mean "final transcoding" in MLVApp or elsewhere?  Do I understand properly that once the anamorphic footage is opened in MLVApp, I should keep the Sharpen slider at 0 until I finish all corrections and grading in MLVApp?  And once I am ready with that, I apply sharpening (I set slider to say 80%) and only then I can start exporting in H.264 or H.265.  I just want to make sure that I do not misunderstand what you are saying.

Thanks, Masc.

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 10, 2020, 02:49:14 PM
You mean "final transcoding" in MLVApp or elsewhere?
I mean final transcoding after NLE export. I get a ProRes4444 file out of my NLE and transcode this with ffmpeg to something I can upload or to something my TV can read. In this step it is possible to setup a tiny sharpening and it looks way better on anamorphic footage.

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 10, 2020, 02:49:14 PM
Do I understand properly that once the anamorphic footage is opened in MLVApp, I should keep the Sharpen slider at 0 until I finish all corrections and grading in MLVApp? 
For anamorphic footage don't use the sharpen slider at all - at no time. You'll get ugly artifacts. For 3x3 or 1x1 footage it is okay to use it.

If you want to sharpen anamorphic footage, do it after it was resized - so e.g. in the NLE (if you don't use CDNG) or after exporting from the NLE.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Thanks for the clarification, Masc.  You may want to take a look at the test video I linked in my post #43.  The first clip is PR4444 exported with the Sharpen slider at 0.  The second one is this same clip but sharpened in Resolve.  And the third one is the same clip but sharpened at 100% in MLVApp prior to PR4444 export.  I don't know what you mean by "stair effect" and where do you see it on the third clip.  Is this effect associated with some aliasing residues as a result of 1x3 readout?