video mode iso only goes up to 1600. extremely dark image in low light :(

Started by realflow100, July 03, 2020, 06:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realflow100

video mode iso only goes up to 1600. extremely dark image in low light :(

im using a canon 500D/rebel T1i with magic lantern installed

How can I extend the auto-iso's range in video recording mode up to the cameras maximum 12800?

my current only option is to stop recording. change the iso to manual and raise digital magic lantern iso up. which is a huge pain and i have to edit separate videos together and wastes a lot of time

Why is canons iso limited to so low in auto video?
The image is way too dark and theres I dont mind if its noisy as long as I can at least see something.

Is there some extra video recording module I can download and add to do this?

Or some kind of similar module?
its super annoying there has to be some sort of solution to this problem. I really want the auto iso to not be limited to 1600. and be allowed to go from 100 to 12800 in video mode automatically.

Bender@arsch

I'm not sure, I don't have this camera, but I think this is the native iso range limit for this camera (100-1600). All iso value above 1600 in Camera is not native, it is nearly the same, if you set the exposure in post, but you decrease the dynamic range.

This camera is not a low light camera. You need a better F-stop number, maybe lower shutterspeed or simply more light.

But if you want this value, you need to change this in Canon menu, you can enable higher iso range.

realflow100

extended iso range is ALREADY ENABLED but has no effect at all in video mode. it refuses to go above iso 1600 even with the lens cap on and viewfinder covered up.
I have the lowest F stop I can get 50mm F1.8
and shutter speed is not adjustable in video mode.
if I set a manual framerate the video is sped up with no audio and unusable.

Its definitely not the same as changing the exposure in post because the recorded video file has horrendous blocky artifacts if you try to amplify it that way.

I dont want to have to manually do it is there some magic lantern module I can get that works for video mode to allow extended iso range?

And possibly variable shutter speed as well? so it can go down to some set minimum automatically in video mode like 5FPS if its really dark and also raising the iso as well so its not pitch black?

names_are_hard

You've asked the same question four times - if you're not getting the answer you want it's probably because nobody knows the answer, or the answer is no.

The internet believes the 500D should have native ISO up to 3200, and that it was the first Canon to support that.  So I'd expect it's possible to use 3200 for video, but ML may be built to assume 1600 is the max, given the 500D was the first to go above that.  You'll need to find someone who can confirm / deny that and maybe change it - or work out how to do it yourself.

You mention blocky artifacts when you post-process - is this RAW or MOV?  Try RAW if you haven't, MOV inherently introduces some artifacts, and trying to boost brightness may well make existing artifacts more visible.  RAW should have no artifacts and so is more forgiving of post-processing.

heder

AFAIK ML asks Canon FW if it will accept a given ISO. So if it will accept 3200 in photo mode but not Video mode, then Canons FW perform some kind og checks.
... some text here ..

names_are_hard

Interesting, and would make it a harder kind of possible, if it can be done at all.  Sounds much less likely that there's some older 1600 limit in ML itself.

realflow100

I did discover if I enable the custom FPS option to disable sound
it will let me change the iso while video recording by setting a manual iso and boosting or lowering it in the magic lantern digital settings

but if I DONT enable custom FPS
I cant open magic lantern PERIOD while recording video

if that was fixed most likely I would be able to record sound. while also having a custom iso. and not needing a custom FPS. so it seems like it should be possible somehow. artificial canon limitation?

but otherwise its impossible to adjust the iso outside of magic lantern above 1600 while in video mode!
Just Straight Up Impossible.

Kharak

I suspect you are using Digital Gain in ML to reach 3200?

Are you shooting RAW?

Fps override will always disable audio on h264 recording.
once you go raw you never go back

realflow100

No I'm not using raw. I have no real need to. its a pain to get off the SD card anyways because I prefer using cable to transfer images and video to my computer with.

and I can set the digital gain in magic lantern as high as I want even up to +7 which goes to insane iso if I really wanted to.
i know FPS override will always disable the audio when recording but thats the weird thing. it prevents the crash from happening
so i'm able to real-time set a manual higher iso at whatever I want like 3200 up to 12800 even!
it makes it a lot more usable shooting in low lighting.

only problem is the no audio caused by FPS override.

so I wish i could use magic lantern digital gain without FPS override so I can have sound too.