30x magnifier

Started by mash.m, July 01, 2020, 11:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mash.m

Hi,

i would ask if it´s possible to add a function for 30x magnifier as it is also implemented at the new canon ra? this will be a great help to focus correctly to the stars at astrophotography. i´m currently using the 6d with magic lantern. the display gain is a great help to focus on darker stars.

markus

yourboylloyd

Just curious (and probably not helpful). Is your 6d modified for infrared, full spectrum, or h alpha? How useful is a 30x zoom? That would mean you are zooming into a region that's only 182x121 pixels across on a 6d. Wouldn't that be difficult to navigate and know exactly where you are zoomed into?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

mash.m

Hi,

my cooled 6d have a halpha mod. This is a self build cooled camera. to mount the peltiers directly on the sensor i mounted a display from a 600d on the right side. the cabling was hard, but as you can see it works just fine. the system cooles down the sensor about a delta of 25° celsius and you can select the target temperature for defined darks.

30x zoom will be helpfull for focusing on dimm stars. the new canon Ra have this function.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: mash.m on September 29, 2020, 12:00:34 PM
30x zoom will be helpfull for focusing on dimm stars. the new canon Ra have this function.

Hello, Nice display rig!

on 700D I can get this result, not sure how many "x" zoom it is, the third picture is the result:

Normal x5 Mode:
x5" border="0

Normal x10 Mode:
x10" border="0

x10 Mode - Modified:
x10-Modified" border="0

-We might be able to push the crop further.

You need to find Stretching Registers on 6D which control preview cropping, more info in about these registers in LiveView Investigation first post, You should look into between x5 and x10 Mode using adtg_gui.mo, these registers might be there, not sure if 6D would use different method of preview cropping, in your case it worth trying.

mash.m

Hi,

this is a nice result.

i just installed the 4k crop Magic Lantern and the adtg_gui. it is up and running. i took a look into the registers, but there are so many. how to find the right one for streching and smooting? i saw that there is a log option, but also in this log file there are too much registers to find the right ones. any hints for finding these or have i to try to find the right ones?

Thx, Markus

theBilalFakhouri

Cool, Yes, here is the way:

Enable ADTG Registers from Debug Tab in ML settings --> Press Q button -->  Select Advanced, Enable ENGIO Registers, Exit ML menu, Press Menu Button twice, get into x5 Mode then x10 Mode and get back to 1080p Mode then get into x5 Mode again --> Go to ADTG Registers -->  Press on "Everything" --> Select "Modified from now on" --> Exit ML Menu, Now go to x10

Now you got the registers between x5 and x10 mode, start tweaking each register, until you find the stretching ones if there any on 6D, You can press Q button to return register to original value if something happen.

I'd like to take a look in the registers, if you could provide a LOG, same steps above, after that press "Log registers now" from Advanced menu, a file with name adtg.log will show in ML/LOGS folder in the SD Card, you can share this file here publicly.

Good Luck!

Walter Schulz

@mash.m & Off-topic:

Do you have a how-to/tutorial about your display replacement?

Star86

Hello,
I also ask to implement 30x (or more) magnifier on canon 6D!

Is very difficult to focus the stars with only 10x

Thank you! :)
Andrea

kfeagins3

Why not use something like a Bahtinov or Y mask? It will probably be just as, if not more effective as the 30x.

mash.m

Hi,

Bahtinov does not work good with a narrowband filter, but with display gain +3 in liveview.

@Walter Schulz

Sorry no tut available für this mod. But i used a display from a 600d, which is the the same. 600d uses a lvds transceiver on the mainboard and receiver on the display pcb. 6d is not using this. the only way was to solder many small cables from the 6d display pcb to the 600d pcd and desolder all components from the 600d display pcb.