5D3 Rack Focus Problem

Started by JimO, June 20, 2020, 05:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimO

I am trying to set up rack focus to use with focus stacking. While in Live View, I use the joystick to focus to one of the focus end points that I want, then select Focus End Point and press Q. This sets the value to 0 (here). I then adjust focus to the other end point. The end point count is whatever. I press Set to set the second end point.
Now if I select Rack Focus and press Set, the focus only moves a short way toward the first focus point. Similarly, if I go into the Focus Stacking menu, select Copy rack focus range and press Set, the appropriate total number of pictures changes. When I select Run focus stack and press Set, the camera takes the specified number of pictures, but focus again only moves part way to the other focus end point.
What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Walter Schulz

Build used? Lens used?

To exclude problems related to this particular lens: Lookup https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#focus_stacking -> Method 2 and try to shoot a stack using this procedure. If lens got stuck again: Try another lens.
If you are able to run stacks with other lenses only: I suppose you have to tweak Focus Settings using more conservative values.

JimO

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 21, 2020, 09:42:06 AM
Build used? Lens used?
2018-07-03 for Canon firmware version 1.2.3
Lens: 24-105L f/4 with and without a 31mm extension tube.
Also tried with 100-400mm L II lens with same result.

To exclude problems related to this particular lens: Lookup https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#focus_stacking -> Method 2 and try to shoot a stack using this procedure. If lens got stuck again: Try another lens.

Method 2 does work correctly.

If you are able to run stacks with other lenses only: I suppose you have to tweak Focus Settings using more conservative values.

I have tried with a variety of step sizes (1-3) and a variety of focus steps / picture ranging from 1-10. Same result in all cases.

Walter Schulz

If method 2 is working there is no sense in testing other lenses or other focus settings.
Will try to reproduce your problem the next days.

Walter Schulz

Just to be sure: Your 24-105 is not the EF 24-105 1:4 L IS II USM but "EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM" designed 11 years before "II". Right?

Try using this:
Turn camera on.
Enter Liveview and adjust lens to first focus point.
Press trashcan button to access ML menu.
Select Focus tab/screen and highlight "Focus End Point".
Press SET. Your screen should look like this
https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/_media/focus_end_point.png
(Actual number doesn't matter.)
Press Q until you are in Liveview again and number equals zero.
Now use arrow keys to adjust lens to second focus point.
Use Quick Control Dial or Multi-controller to access "Rack Focus" item below (without leaving Liveview).

By pressing SET cam should change focus back to first focus point. Pressing SET again will cam cause to focus on second focus point.
Drop a line if not!

If everything runs fine you can access "Focus Stacking", highlight "Copy rack focus range", pressing SET and entries should change as intended. Now you can select "Run Focus Stack".

JimO

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 26, 2020, 09:21:58 PM
Just to be sure: Your 24-105 is not the EF 24-105 1:4 L IS II USM but "EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM" designed 11 years before "II". Right?
Yes, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM" designed 11 years before "II". This was the kit lens for the 5D3.

I can follow along everything until this step:

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 26, 2020, 09:21:58 PM
Now use arrow keys to adjust lens to second focus point.

I assume by arrow keys, you mean the joystick. With the Focus end point menu item displayed over Live View, pressing left or right changes the number for the focus end point. Pressing up or down changes the menu item. The only way I seem to be able to get back to being able to use the joystick to adjust the end focus point is to press either * or the garbage can button. But then the menu item disappears. After adjusting the focus point, I have to press the garbage can button again to bring the menu back, and then the Set button to display the Focus end point over Live View. Some number of steps is displayed.

To run rack focus, I can move to the Rack Focus menu item a number of different ways. Pressing Set will run the rack focus, but it only moves part way to the first focus end point.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: JimO on June 28, 2020, 03:27:31 PM
I assume by arrow keys, you mean the joystick. With the Focus end point menu item displayed over Live View, pressing left or right changes the number for the focus end point.

That's what you have to do! By pressing Q you stored the first focus end point for this session. By using the arrow keys (left/right multi-controller/joystick) you define the second! Numbers do have to change!
Sorry, I know this is confusing but it is the way it is implemented.

If I follow your procedure in first post (using SET at the wrong place) I have the same troubles as you described.

JimO

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 28, 2020, 03:45:52 PM
That's what you have to do! By pressing Q you stored the first focus end point for this session. By using the arrow keys (left/right multi-controller/joystick) you define the second! Numbers do have to change!

Thank you Walter, that did it.

Yes, the documentation is confusing. One of the problems about the documentation is that it is written about menu items and not about steps to perform tasks, which often require the use of multiple menu items. Another problem is that each camera model has a different set of buttons and controls and the documentation tends to be written for one specific model.