Recording stopped - 3.5K raw

Started by Jzpwood, June 10, 2020, 12:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jzpwood

I'm using a 5D III with a SanDisk Extreme pro 64GB, but quite often the recording stops due to the card not being able to keep up.

Everything I've heard about CF cards has pointed me to this one, including posts on the forum. If I can't get reliable results on this, what should I be using? I'm not recording audio and I'm using 12 bit lossless.

ZEEK

What build are you using on the 5D3?
Did you get it from this repository?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/
EOS M

Kharak

What is the speed of the card?

What are your settings? Fps? Etc

3.5k Raw needs like 11 bit to be continues, i assume. Probably also have to disable all overlays.
once you go raw you never go back

Jzpwood

I'm using build crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3113 downloaded straight from the ML website, any reason why I should download it from somewhere else?

Settings are 3.5k crop mode 1:1 at 24fps. 12 bit Lossless raw. I've had it working most of the time but every now and then I get a random 'recording stopped' which really messed things up.

Card is benchmarked at 116MB/s in the camera.

allemyr

I think 116 megabytes/s is the read speed?
5D3 interface is slower then the card.

Most important what vertical resolution do you choose with 3.5k raw?

There is a modest filesize difference between 14-bit and 12-bit, on my test the filesize difference is only 17%.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: allemyr on June 14, 2020, 03:54:00 PM
I think 116 megabytes/s is the read speed?

Fastest 5D3 benchmark numbers for write are above 120 MByte/s.
Fastest for read are about 158 MByte/s.

Quote from: allemyr on June 14, 2020, 03:54:00 PM
There is a modest filesize difference between 14-bit and 12-bit, on my test the filesize difference is only 17%.

Basic math applies. 2 is 16.7 percent of 12 and 14.3 percent of 14.

allemyr

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 14, 2020, 04:07:30 PM
Fastest 5D3 benchmark numbers for write are above 120 MByte/s.

Basic math applies. 2 is 16.7 percent of 12 and 14.3 percent of 14.

Hi yes thats true about bitdepth and math but just wanted to state that, ok not necessary to do tests tho.

120 Mbyte/s write speed sounds awesome! Can you link to a thread?

I can only get 90 MByte/s write speed in camera. But when testing in USB3 reader to PC i get 136 MByte/s write speed and 153 MByte/s read speed. From a Lexar 1066X. But that's when doing simple benchmark in camera with standard settings. When I record it often says its recording in 102 MByte/s so I'am not shure about that.

If you don't mind sending a link it would be great so I can increase the speed here to :)

Thanks, have a good day!

Walter Schulz

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.0
If you test in movie mode numbers are lower. Highest numbers will be seen in photo mode only.

allemyr

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 14, 2020, 04:34:45 PM
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.0
If you test in movie mode numbers are lower. Highest numbers will be seen in photo mode only.

Hi! Thank you! You are supposed to run in photo mode, that made some difference post image below. 119.8 MByte/s seams to be max for my card. Close to the 136 Mbyte/s from card reader to PC.

Walter Schulz

Benchmark in photo mode is designed to tell most about cam's and card's interface limit. Overhead by ML tasks is *not* taken into account.

Benchmark in movie mode tells a lot about what can be expected during movie recording. Overhead by ML tasks included.

allemyr

Ok I see, thank you!

A bit off topic but whats the reason the max width resolution is 3520px in cropmode and not higher?

3840px width for example would be super cool!

Walter Schulz

Just upscale by a mere 9.09 percent.

And sorry for torturing you, dear sirs Whittaker, Nyquist, Kotelnikov, Shannon.

ilia3101

And you can use crop_rec_4k's UHD 1:1 preset for 3840x1536 at 24p, doesn't record very long though unless you use card spanning + overclock + lower bitdepth.

allemyr

Walter, I don't think small portion of upscaling looks good thats why.

ilia3101 will look into that! Thank you!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: allemyr on June 15, 2020, 01:48:31 PM
Walter, I don't think small portion of upscaling looks good thats why.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Kharak

Quote from: allemyr on June 14, 2020, 05:35:40 PM
A bit off topic but whats the reason the max width resolution is 3520px in cropmode and not higher?

Its 3584px, just for clarity :)
once you go raw you never go back