Just got a 5DIII. Still have the 5DII. Crop Rec & Full-frame Comparison ?

Started by Volumetrik, June 03, 2020, 05:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volumetrik

As the title says, I just picked up a 5D III for absolutely dirt cheap. 1000 cad for a 107k shutter 5D3, battery grip AND a 24-105. Got the original boxes and everything. The 5D3 is a bit battered on the outside, but the LCD is not scratched and everything works. Only thing I need to fix is the aperture cable on the 24-105 and it will be like brand new.

So, would anyone be interested in direct comparisons between the 5D2 and 5D3 ? I have the VAF filter on the 5D2 so I can compare the quality of Full frame 1080p on both. I can do crop rec comparisons, 4k modes, write speeds benching on both with the same cards, etc. I have CineLog so we can test between the two as well.

What would you guys like to see ?

Here is some threads where I did some tests on the 5D2 :

VAF-5D2 Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter Test on 5D2

MLV RAW 14-Bit vs 12-Bit vs 10-Bit Comparison on 5D2

Cheers

allemyr

If you do tests please upload original MLV. 1080p fullframe mode is nice to test also.

Volumetrik

Yep, I'll upload those !

1080p full frame shootout between the two will be very interesting.

yourboylloyd

I'm interested in using the full sensor on both cameras to record. I would like to see the difference between aliasing. If you can do one at your lens's sharpest aperture that would be awesome.

If you could:

• On the 5D2, shoot at 1856x1248 in 10bit 23.976fps. That should use the full sensor as far as ML could use it
  • Compare that to the 5D3, shoot at 1920x1280 in 10bit. I would like to see if the anti-aliasing and small push of extra resolution makes it better.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Volumetrik

Good idea ! I just printed an ISO 12233 test chart. I'll include that in the test. I'll get my sharpest lens, the 100 2.8L macro.

I'll make a separate thread when I'm done and I'll link it here.

Quote from: yourboylloyd on June 03, 2020, 11:19:37 PM
I'm interested in using the full sensor on both cameras to record. I would like to see the difference between aliasing. If you can do one at your lens's sharpest aperture that would be awesome.

If you could:

• On the 5D2, shoot at 1856x1248 in 10bit 23.976fps. That should use the full sensor as far as ML could use it
  • Compare that to the 5D3, shoot at 1920x1280 in 10bit. I would like to see if the anti-aliasing and small push of extra resolution makes it better.

allemyr

Thank you,

You can also test outside brick walls and roof tiles from a distance can sometimes show antialiasing quality pretty easy. Please do some 14bit test if you like.

SKecorius

Thank you, your tests are great source of information!

Long time ago, I wanted to see some condensed/one place info on what are the best settings for 5DII for: a) highest quality continuous not cropped recording; b) highest resolution (cropped) continuous recording; c) highest quality highest resolution non continuous recording for both cropped and not cropped; d) 48p and anamorphic modes; e) dual iso.

There  are some limited tutorials online, but all are scattered and not necessarily works for everyone all the time.. I feel this is beyond the scopes of your post, but with your systematic and super organized approach, I believe it could end up in super useful material that would be both interesting and helpful for 5DII users.

Either way, I am excited to see the comparisons between II and III.

All the best!

Volumetrik

Thank you ! Honestly a) to d) could be pretty quick to do as the bit-rate factor has already been addressed in the other thread. For pure quality purposes, there's only four ways in which the 5D2 can give different results : Full-sensor readout (like full size liveview low-fps modes), line skipped readout (like 4k anamorphic modes), cropped sensor readout (2k and 3k crop modes) and full-frame modes where it's pixel binned. I have not tried the 48p modes, so I can't comment on those just yet. The continuous and non-continuous tests are very good ideas as I often wonder those things myself.
Quote from: SKecorius on June 04, 2020, 05:01:19 PM
Thank you, your tests are great source of information!

Long time ago, I wanted to see some condensed/one place info on what are the best settings for 5DII for: a) highest quality continuous not cropped recording; b) highest resolution (cropped) continuous recording; c) highest quality highest resolution non continuous recording for both cropped and not cropped; d) 48p and anamorphic modes; e) dual iso.

There  are some limited tutorials online, but all are scattered and not necessarily works for everyone all the time.. I feel this is beyond the scopes of your post, but with your systematic and super organized approach, I believe it could end up in super useful material that would be both interesting and helpful for 5DII users.

Either way, I am excited to see the comparisons between II and III.

All the best!

I'll include some aliasing inducting scenes in the test for sure ! It will be interesting to see the 3x1 vs 3x3 binning in action on the same scenes.

Quote from: allemyr on June 04, 2020, 10:28:10 AM
Thank you,

You can also test outside brick walls and roof tiles from a distance can sometimes show antialiasing quality pretty easy. Please do some 14bit test if you like.