Rebel T2i/550D shuts off after 30 minutes no matter what i do!

Started by untoldent, May 24, 2020, 05:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

untoldent

Hi everyone. Pulling my hair out here.

i have the following settings enabled on my Rebel T2i/550D:

Misc key settings > Sticky HalfShutter > ON

Canon Menu > First Wrench > Auto power off > Off

The camera is plugged into the wall via an AC adapter. i am in video camera mode, capturing the DSLR's output through a capture device to use it with OBS.

i have read here that these settings prevent the camera from turning off, but mine still turns itself off every 30 minutes, like clockwork.

i have also tried jacking it into SparkoCam via USB, which is supposed to keep the camera engaged (and/or melted), but it still turns off!

The only other thing i can think of is that i have some native setting shut off that disables the shutter button, so ML can't virtually press it? Is that possible? In the first red camera option screen, i have Shutter/AE lock button set to AE/AF lock. Does that affect it?

What am i doing wrong?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop down menu) -> Experiments -> Lua_fix builds
After installing it you go to Prefs tab/screen -> Powersave in LiveView -> 30-minute timer and disable it.

untoldent

Thanks so much! i dug further and found that elsewhere before seeing your reply.  i noticed that many people are asking the same question... i think it's because the wiki claims that the halfshutter setting will do the trick, but it doesn't. Maybe consider changing the copy on that page to avoid confusion?

Here's the page:

https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#misc_key_settings

The offending line says "Tip: use this to prevent the camera from turning off LiveView after 30 minutes." Filthy lies!

DianeMiller

I hope to have communion with the people, that is the most important thing.

bassboombox

Hi guys, thanks so much for this. I was just wondering, is this an extra install I make on the camera? I already have the basic build on my camera right now, but I do not see the 30 sec option in Powersave. If it is another download, will it just overwrite what I have?

I am trying to both give my 550d a clean HDMI output and I don't want it to shut off after 30 min.

Thanks in advance,
- Bo

Walter Schulz

See reply #1. Format card in cardreader, format card in cam. Proceed with installation.

JasonConstantine

So I installed this firmware but I am not seeing the menu mentioned above. Everything still look like the default menus.

When I look at the firmware version is says: 1.0.9-ml-lua_fix.2

Maybe its just me not understanding how to use the firmware?

How do I get to the Prefs tab/screen?