New to Videography and ML (canon 600d)

Started by alexmansur92, May 23, 2020, 12:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmansur92

Hey! Hope everyone is well and getting through the quarantine! I've been hooked on some of the videos I've been seeing about Magic Lantern so I saved what I could and bought a used 600d
Now obviously I don't want to brick this thing the moment I get it so is there any tips not tricks or certain builds and settings I should be using as a beginner?

Thanks
Alex

yourboylloyd

I wish you would have gotten an EOS M. You'll only get about 4 seconds of 1080p on a 600d if you shoot in 10bit.

The nightly Raw build on the main Magic Lantern page should be good enough for you though!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Luther

Unfortunately 600D is not very good at handling Raw footage (MLV) @alexmansur92, because it cannot write to the card fast enough. I use a 600D for years, it is still great to use ML on her. My pieces of advice are:
- Use a different picture style. There's many out there, the ones that gave me the best results were VisionTech and this one.
- Use 24fps with 180 degree shutter speed (double your fps == 1/48) if you want that "cinematic look" people talk about. ML has a feature called "FPS Override", to make sure you get 24.000fps. You can also fine tune your shutter speed to get 1/48.
- Get a 18% grey card and make a custom white balance before you shoot on different places.
- Disable sharpness using "zero shapness" feature
- I personally use these two next, but they might be placebo: set your ISO to -0.3 gain, to you get multiples of 80 (160, 320, 640, etc). This supposedly decreases noise. Increase bitrate using CBR factor 3.0x. Don't use ISO above 1250, it will just increase noise.
- Expose to the right. Meaning, overexpose the video a bit (I normally do +1-1.5 f-stop above). Activate Zebras and/or histogram in Global Draw menu.
- Get old lenses. I always recommend Helios 44-2 or Takumar 50mm f/1.4. I used these tiny lenses for many years (almost a decade). They never failed, they are very cheap and gives great results. You can also put some filters in it to get better results (circular-polarizer, ND filter to get 1/48 shutter speed at sunlight and BlackProMist)
- For post-processing: NeatVideo does a good job at removing noise. Samurai (by Digital Anarchy) does a good job at increasing sharpness. For color grading, you will have to learn by yourself, as everyone has a different approach to that. An easy way of getting "ok" results is using ImpulZ 3DLUTs.

Don't be afraid of installing magic lantern. I've installed it literally more than 50 times over the last decade and it still works as if it was new.
If you need more tips, search the forum for topics of your interest. There are lot of old threads with loads of information.
If you can buy another camera, get something that records MLV (Raw video). That will be a *very big* difference on your final results. The cheapest ones with good quality are 50D and EOS M.

reddeercity

600d seems not that bad , at least there's 10-12bit raw video magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2019Mar24.600D102.zip
And with that , it opens the door to be able to use crop_rec  plus lossless compression (once ported that is) .
It's a D4 cam like 5d2 & 50d .