Shoot video in manual mode. How to shoot video without switching the mode?

Started by JustJo, April 11, 2021, 08:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJo

Is there some way to start shooting video while in Manual mode without touching the camera (That is, without switching the mode)?

I can do this through EOS Utility, but it requires a computer connection and other complications arise.

What are the options? Perhaps some kind of special remote control? Or a LUA script?

Walter Schulz

Sorry, still not clear what do you mean by "not touching"?

Some things that can be done (not exclusive):
You can use a remote with setting "Rec key" to trigger recording.
And you can use Lua, of course.
I just triggered my 650D by voice after activating "Audio Remote Shot". It will take additional pics, though. But movie start/stop is not a problem.

More details, please!

JustJo

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 11, 2021, 11:24:19 PM
Sorry, still not clear what do you mean by "not touching"?

Some things that can be done (not exclusive):
You can use a remote with setting "Rec key" to trigger recording.
And you can use Lua, of course.
I just triggered my 650D by voice after activating "Audio Remote Shot". It will take additional pics, though. But movie start/stop is not a problem.

More details, please!

I need this to shoot a time-lapse. The camera must not move even a millimeter - therefore, you must not touch it. Sometimes during breaks you need to switch to video shooting. Sometimes, during breaks, you need to switch to video shooting, but do not move the camera. If I manually switch the mode on the video - using the mode wheels, then there is a possibility that the camera will move.

Therefore, I am looking for the simplest and cheapest solution, how to switch from time-lapse recording mode to video recording mode and vice versa.

I found an application for android "DSLR Controller", judging by the photo of the application interface - you can start recording video, but I'm not sure if you can start recording without changing the mode from manual to video recording. I can't test it now, because there is no mini usb -> type-c cable. I ordered a cable, I'm waiting for it to come and check it out.

Walter Schulz

I don't know what kind of mount you are using. If you are on a slider I understand your problem. But if you have a stationary mount there should be no problem fiddling with mode dial. ATM ML cannot change modes and I seriously doubt there is any standard remote control able to override cam's button/switch control procedures.
If you really need to go for non-touch I have 2 ideas:
- Cage for camera + servo + some gear attached to mode dial. Because servo is mounted to cage you have "internal forces" at work. There may be some vibration during servo actuation, though.
- Replace mechanical mode dial with an all-electronic dial. You have to replace/isolate contacts. See https://twitter.com/autoexec_bin/status/1353598517709836290 for some details about dial internals. Just imagine ants gone ...

a1ex