5D mk iii RAW record to SD card vs 70D

Started by TKez, May 22, 2020, 01:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKez

I've been overjoyed at the performance of my 70D raw recording capabilities with the newest experimental branches.
With 11bit lossless I can record continuous RAW now at near-enough-to-HD rez, and that's been a game changer.

But the thorn in the side on 70D is the moire, it constantly ruins good shots when color grading and I decided it's time to say goodbye to moire and get a 5D mk iii.

All is well and good except when I tested the SD card for RAW. With the same settings as continuous on 70D, I can get max 6 seconds on the 5D.
Where I live, a Sandisk Extreme CF card is exactly 4x price of a Sandisk Extreme SD for the same size. They're also about 6x the price of an SSD that are used in other cameras.
I realise this is economies of scale at play, but my question is....

If the 70D can do it, why not the 5D mk iii?

Can the 70D sd slot really be faster than then 5D mk iii SD slot?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: TequilaKez on May 22, 2020, 01:26:23 AM
If the 70D can do it, why not the 5D mk iii?

Because the 5D3 is not a 70D.

TKez

Ofcourse but it has a lot in common and I would have expected it shares the same SD slot, if not better.
But I guess that where I went wrong.

So we're saying the SD Slot in the 5D mk iii is inferior to the 70D then?

As in, it definitely has nothing to do with MLV settings or SD Card type or ML build, but purely a hardware thing that can't be avoided due to an inferior SD chip and I have no choice but to buy CF cards?

I can come to terms with it, but from following 70D development I was under the impression that it was the 70D that had the cheaper SD hardware with 40mb/s limits. That the 5D would be even worse comes as a bit of a surprise.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: TequilaKez on May 22, 2020, 03:18:31 AM
but from following 70D development I was under the impression that it was the 70D that had the cheaper SD hardware with 40mb/s limits.

And this was discussed when and where? Link, please!

I'm pretty sure nobody involved in ML development ever dared to imply something like this.

allemyr

The CF cards is really fast tho. I have a Lexar 256gb 1066X that I'am very happy with.

5D3 is 1 year and 4 months older then 70D

TKez

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 22, 2020, 09:34:44 AM
And this was discussed when and where? Link, please!

I'm pretty sure nobody involved in ML development ever dared to imply something like this.

Ok my apologies for the bad wording, I didn't mean to imply 'cheaper than the 5D' . But the 70D thread is full of the 40mb/s theoretical limit of the sd hardware as obviously, it's a consumer grade camera and was never meant to write that much data to fast cards. Much of that was overcome as 10/12 bit and lossless came and now sd overclock.

In any case, the 5D thread is epic and I couldn't glean the answer to that question from searching so I thought it was an appropriate question to ask that might help others in future.

A simple 'no the 5D sd clot is know to be slow, it has CF etc' ... or... 'no that's not right, the 5D card should write 40mb/s too, you're using the wrong build' were the answers I was hoping for.  :)

TKez

Quote from: allemyr on May 22, 2020, 08:32:18 PM
The CF cards is really fast tho. I have a Lexar 256gb 1066X that I'am very happy with.

No doubt they are, but they're the price of a second hand 60D.
Conversely I've had a BMCC on loan for a bit that takes SSDs. A 256gb SSD is $33, is faster and can be used for other things.

It's all just economies of scale of course, but knowing that the 5D sd slot is a dud makes a big difference to the smartest way spend ones' hard earned funds looking forward. With CF cards being that price, it probably means forget the 5D and put the money towards a BMCC :)

Quote5D3 is 1 year and 4 months older then 70D

Ok that explains a lot, thanks.

yourboylloyd

Quote from: TequilaKez on May 22, 2020, 01:26:23 AM
Where I live, a Sandisk Extreme CF card is exactly 4x price of a Sandisk Extreme SD for the same size.

I use Komputerbay 1066x CF cards. They are way cheaper than Sandisk. Don't get anything other than 1066x. You can find them on amazon and ebay for a lot cheaper
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

allemyr

Well its not good economics to buy a 5D3 and then use a card that writes 40mb/s.

allemyr

Go what way you want. But 5D is fullframe

TKez

Quote from: allemyr on May 23, 2020, 09:37:14 PM
Well its not good economics to buy a 5D3 and then use a card that writes 40mb/s.

Continuous 12bit lossless @ 1080p requires 36MB/s which is perfect for me and works just fine on my 70D.
But the 70D's moire and inadequate dynamic range and low light performance was wearing me down, hence the 5d mk iii.

I'm going to experiment with sd_uhs for mk iii.
Before I give up on SD need to do a throughout inverstigation of SD overclock. I can see some promise in e.g Ilia3101!'s build for spanning both devices, but I cant try that as I don't have an CF cards.

Does anyone have a build with sd_uhs included for 5D3.123, or just the module itself?

I've got one foot in the rabbit hole of compiling my own, but usually try not reinvent the wheel where possible.